Old November 13th 18, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Old Orange plans disappearing

I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

Obviously their definition of life is different to mine.

Old November 13th 18, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/11/2018 21:52, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

Obviously their definition of life is different to mine.

Worth asking in uk.legal but a contract is a contract and a threat by
all the remaining users of the deal to individually take EE to the
ombudsman may be enough of a poison pill to prevent it going ahead.

It worked to prevent Santander from closing down Abbey Nationals free
business banking for life deal that it inherited with the business.

This presupposes that you can find a copy of the original contract and
the definition of all the terms given in it.

Martin Brown
Old November 13th 18, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

Obviously their definition of life is different to mine.

Twas ever this. Manufacturers can decide at any time how long a lifetime
is. It will never mean your lifetime.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old November 13th 18, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article ,
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

EE are price gouging b*st*rds. They already effectively "cancelled"
a whole load of Orange contracts - the Virgin EQ and other EQ packages -
by increasing the prices to ten times what they had been. Since that's
what EE think of long term customer loyalty, they can go swivel.

On the plus side, it drove me to Three who are even cheaper than the
Virgin EQ tariff was, it's just that the billing is much less convenient.

Nick
Old November 13th 18, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/11/2018 22:22, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

PAYG, not contract, would never have one of those, never seen the point
in paying for call time I'm never going to use.

Ah well, 'twas ever thus...

Old November 14th 18, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/13/2018 4:52 PM, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

Obviously their definition of life is different to mine.

I received that message today. I've had mine for maybe 20 years, used
mostly for incoming texts. I'm considering porting the number, but
haven't got around to researching plans.

Old November 14th 18, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Obviously their definition of life is different to mine.

Same as the Vodafone 3G dongles with "non-expiring" 1GB of data, worked
as promised for several years, topped it up a couple of times, came in
handy during PSTN/ADSL outages, until they got bored of them and turned
it into expiring credit.

I now have an unlocked 4G dongle and an EE sim that gives a free 250MB
of data every month (I generally remember to test it each month to keep
it alive) I could then top it up with a few GB if I need some emergency
data (thankfully not needed since the ADSL-VDSL switch)
Old November 14th 18, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

Old November 14th 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/11/2018 23:15, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

EE are price gouging b*st*rds. They already effectively "cancelled"
a whole load of Orange contracts - the Virgin EQ and other EQ packages -
by increasing the prices to ten times what they had been. Since that's
what EE think of long term customer loyalty, they can go swivel.

I disagree. I am still with EE although on a tariff that they neither
advertise nor will admit to having until you threaten to leave. If you
don't talk to customer retention every few years you will get ripped off
but that is true with all of them and of insurance companies too.

On the plus side, it drove me to Three who are even cheaper than the
Virgin EQ tariff was, it's just that the billing is much less convenient.

Three is my preferred mobile phone network especially good overseas.
However, signal at home is all but non-existent so we have one phone on
EE and another on Three. The EE one was on O2 until they "improved" and
rationalised their local coverage by shutting down our nearest mast.

Martin Brown
Old November 14th 18, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield