Old November 14th 18, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default First 5G cities in UK named by EE

"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham
and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

Old November 14th 18, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/11/2018 18:42, Java Jive wrote:
"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham
and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

And charging a small fortune to use it, no doubt. No sign of anything
like it appearing this far north, though. I sometimes wonder if anyone
realises that we exist up here in the Frozen North. Even 2G is patchy in
some places around here.

Old November 15th 18, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/11/2018 21:00, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/11/2018 18:42, Java Jive wrote:
"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham
and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

And charging a small fortune to use it, no doubt. No sign of anything
like it appearing this far north, though. I sometimes wonder if anyone
realises that we exist up here in the Frozen North. Even 2G is patchy in
some places around here.

What possible use what 5G be to a light PAYG user ?

--
Mark
Old November 15th 18, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 21:00:06 UTC, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/11/2018 18:42, Java Jive wrote:
"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham
and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

And charging a small fortune to use it, no doubt. No sign of anything
like it appearing this far north, though. I sometimes wonder if anyone
realises that we exist up here in the Frozen North. Even 2G is patchy in
some places around here.

The networks paid a large fortune (£22G5) for 3G frequency spectrum and there was quite a premium for 3G for a few years, particularly as it provided a step change in connection speed from slooow to reasonable.

The networks paid far less for 4G band frequency spectrum and whilst if you use it it will gobble up your data allowance quickly, however it was added onto my package without additional charge.

I suspect 5G will be similar and because of the increased spectral efficiency either prices will fall or more likely allowances in packages increase for the same price.
Old November 15th 18, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/11/2018 08:18, Mark Carver wrote:
On 14/11/2018 21:00, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/11/2018 18:42, Java Jive wrote:
"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast,
Birmingham and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

And charging a small fortune to use it, no doubt. No sign of anything
like it appearing this far north, though. I sometimes wonder if anyone
realises that we exist up here in the Frozen North. Even 2G is patchy
in some places around here.

What possible use what 5G be to a light PAYG user ?

I am assuming that eventually it will supplant all previous systems. 2G
can't be long for this world, or why are EE stopping all the old tariffs
and forcibly migrating people onto 3G tariffs..?

Old November 15th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 15/11/2018 08:18, Mark Carver wrote:
On 14/11/2018 21:00, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 14/11/2018 18:42, Java Jive wrote:
"EE will turn on 5G in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast,
Birmingham and Manchester by mid-2019."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46195282

And charging a small fortune to use it, no doubt. No sign of anything
like it appearing this far north, though. I sometimes wonder if anyone
realises that we exist up here in the Frozen North. Even 2G is patchy
in some places around here.

What possible use what 5G be to a light PAYG user ?

I am assuming that eventually it will supplant all previous systems. 2G
can't be long for this world, or why are EE stopping all the old tariffs
and forcibly migrating people onto 3G tariffs..?

No, 3G is the endangered technology. 2G will cling on, as there are lots of
machine to machine bits of kit that use it, ie low data rate stuff. 4G is
spectrally more efficient than 3G so it is in the networks’ interests to
migrate people from 3G to 4G. 4G is for *their* benefit, not yours. The
only reason 3G still exists is that they are waiting for all the 3G
handsets that can’t do 4G to die. The amount of spectrum allocated to 3G as
opposed to 4G is diminishing by the day. If you move from a 3G only phone
to a 4G capable one you will find it gets much better coverage.

Old November 16th 18, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 21:54:10 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

No, 3G is the endangered technology. 2G will cling on, as there are lots of
machine to machine bits of kit that use it, ie low data rate stuff. 4G is
spectrally more efficient than 3G so it is in the networks’ interests to
migrate people from 3G to 4G. 4G is for *their* benefit, not yours.

Doesn't explain why Vody (for it is they) on a biz tariff won't
provide VoLTE. Incoming call - try 3G, fail to 2G in some areas. A
pal with a different company has 4G calling on his Vod phone. And, as
you say,3G availability is becoming more scarce.

Mad company, Vodafone.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com
Old November 16th 18, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

No, 3G is the endangered technology. 2G will cling on, as there are lots of
machine to machine bits of kit that use it, ie low data rate stuff. 4G is
spectrally more efficient than 3G so it is in the networks’ interests to
migrate people from 3G to 4G. 4G is for *their* benefit, not yours.

Doesn't explain why Vody (for it is they) on a biz tariff won't
provide VoLTE. Incoming call - try 3G, fail to 2G in some areas. A
pal with a different company has 4G calling on his Vod phone. And, as
you say,3G availability is becoming more scarce.

Mad company, Vodafone.

VF is slowly rolling out VoLTE. For reasons I don’t fully understand, it’s
proving to be technically more difficult than first thought.

Old November 17th 18, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

No, 3G is the endangered technology. 2G will cling on, as there are lots of
machine to machine bits of kit that use it, ie low data rate stuff. 4G is
spectrally more efficient than 3G so it is in the networks’ interests to
migrate people from 3G to 4G. 4G is for *their* benefit, not yours.

Doesn't explain why Vody (for it is they) on a biz tariff won't
provide VoLTE. Incoming call - try 3G, fail to 2G in some areas. A
pal with a different company has 4G calling on his Vod phone. And, as
you say,3G availability is becoming more scarce.

Mad company, Vodafone.

VF is slowly rolling out VoLTE. For reasons I don’t fully understand, it’s
proving to be technically more difficult than first thought.

It's an awful standard-by-committee which is far far more complex than
is really needed.

And yes, trying to remove 2G/3G before we've actually got 4G completely
right and don't rely on fallback is mad.
Old November 17th 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/11/2018 21:54, Tweed wrote:

No, 3G is the endangered technology. 2G will cling on, as there are lots of
machine to machine bits of kit that use it, ie low data rate stuff. 4G is
spectrally more efficient than 3G so it is in the networks’ interests to
migrate people from 3G to 4G. 4G is for *their* benefit, not yours.

Quite so ! I was in Oslo recently. I switched off VoLTE, and whenever I
made or received a call the phone dropped back to GPRS (aka 2G)

--
Mark