Old December 5th 18, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

missing the point entirely, as usual.

copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

Ha! My laptop doesn't have a 2 TB disk. So, again, not an issue. :-p

But even if one has a 2TB drive, one normally doesn't have to backup
(note how nospam does yet another dodge-and-divert from making backup to
'copying') the whole drive. There are these concepts of differential and
incremental backup.

it's not a dodge and divert.

the point you *still* miss is that with gigabit being standard, there
is no point in intentionally using much slower 100bt.

incremental backups does not change anything other than total time and
you still have to do a full initial copy at some point anyway.

But even *if* one would make a full backup (of the in-use) part of the
drive, then why on earth would one need to 'wait' for that backup to
finish, before doing anything else!? Don't know about you, but my
computer(s), network, drives, etc. can perfectly well do their job
without me babysitting them or even being present.

nobody said anything about babysitting the copy.

that's *your* attempt to dodge and divert.

Old December 5th 18, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

A "proper multitasking and multiuser operating system" (which ones do and
don't fall into this category, I wonder - cue Linux versus MacOS versus
Windows snobbery?) will solve the third problem of "others being able to
access the files on the server", but it doesn't solve the problem that you
will still have to wait until the copy has completed before being able to
disconnect/unmount a USB stick or external disk drive.

The copying to an USB stick or external disk drive scenario was just
another of nospam's dodge-and-divert evasions, when he was unable to
give a specific answer to John's question

"What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?"

false. there is no evasion whatsoever.

i originally said, 'just about everything', which means exactly that,
just about everything will benefit from gigabit versus 100bt.

there is no need for an itemized list because it really is just about
everything, although i did end up listing anyway.

as usual, you are trying to turn things personal rather than sticking
to the topic.

But more to the point is my question (see above) *why* 'wait'? I don't
know about you, but if some operation takes some time - even minutes -
and I have/want something else to do, I just do it and hence don't
'wait'.

except you *do* have to wait.

that doesn't mean watching a progress bar the entire time, however, the
copy must complete until you (or more likely, someone else) can use
those files.

it's much better if something finishes in a couple of seconds or
minutes versus hours or days.

[BTW, Linux, MacOs and Windows all fall in the category "proper
multitasking and multiuser operating system", with Windows probably the
worst of the lot.]

that part is true.
Old December 5th 18, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

you're missing the point.

And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

missing the point entirely, as usual.

copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

Ha! My laptop doesn't have a 2 TB disk. So, again, not an issue. :-p

it's just one example, and i didn't say it was *in* a laptop.

2tb drives are usually external, although some laptops do have 2tb
internal drives.

not that it matters, since even copying 2 gig of stuff, the difference
in time is significant.

tl;dr - there is no reason to use a slower link when faster ones exist,
which are standard on almost all hardware.
Old December 5th 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
NY NY is offline

"nospam" wrote in message news:051220180951423988%
I get spontaneous
disconnections requiring a wireless adaptor or access point to be
disabled/re-enabled, more often than I would like: and if that happens
when
a PC is unattended and you are accessing it remotely by RealVNC or
TeamViewer, then you are stuffed. It's also slow. Routers and laptops may
claim to support the latest standard, but I've found that I rarely get a
wifi connection that is anywhere near the rated speed - and that's the
raw
connection speed, as reported by Task Manager | Networking, even before
you
try copying a big file over it. Interference may be a problem, but I've
had
it happen even when InSSIDer shows no other wifi network - on *any*
channel.
My Win 7 laptop initially connects at about 40 Mbps when talking to a
Wireless G router or about 80 to Wireless N (slower than theoretical max
of
54 or 900 respectively), but then that link speed gradually degrades over
an
hour or so until it ends up at about 5 Mbps.

something is *very* wrong with your equipment and/or setup.

I've seen this phenomenon with three different laptops (Acer - Win XP; HP -
Win Vista; Samsung - Win 7) talking to a variety of Netgear and TP-Link
routers: the reported link speed is considerably slower than the theoretical
maximum of the wifi technology used by the router, and gradually diminishes
the longer the laptop is powered up. And that's in several different
locations, so it's unlikely to be interference from something nearby that a
wifi scan with InSSIDer wouldn't show up; the first thing I checked was wifi
networks on the same or adjacent channels, but I can't check for
interference from non-wifi devices.

The spontaneous disconnection is less common with the Samsung laptop /
TP-Link router combination, but I've still had a few cases where the laptop
has had to be rebooted (or at least, disable/enable wireless adaptor) when a
connection has been lost. I wouldn't want to trust it for a PC that I had to
access remotely, where you cannot disable and re-enable wifi once you've
lost the remote connection to it.

Old December 5th 18, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
NY NY is offline

"nospam" wrote in message
how old is this mystery laptop that it doesn't have gigabit?

computers, servers, etc made in the past decade (actually longer than
that) have gigabit, which means it *will* saturate the network.

that's why many nases have multiple gigabit ports or 10gig-e ports,
because gigabit is a significant bottleneck. 100bt would be a disaster.

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 laptop
have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and can't use
5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec at the time,
but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could be
wrong.

It's hard to remember back to the days when Ethernet was normally 10 Mbps,
and 100 Mbps was a newfangled luxury :-) But I can remember before that
using Thick Ethernet and Thin Ethernet over coaxial cable, with BNC T-pieces
(thin) or "stinger" transceivers and drop cables to a MIDI-type connector
(or something that looked very similar). The joys of wanting to connect or
disconnect a computer and having to warn everyone on that LAN segment in
case it altered the reflection of the signal and people lost connections.
Point-to-point RJ45 leads uses a LOT more wire in a big office, since every
computer needs a cable back to the hub/switch, but it's a LOT more
resilient.

Old December 5th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , NY
wrote:

[...]

i've not seen anything remotely close to that, with numerous laptops,
desktops, tablets, phones and routers from a variety of manufacturers.
Old December 5th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , NY
wrote:

how old is this mystery laptop that it doesn't have gigabit?

computers, servers, etc made in the past decade (actually longer than
that) have gigabit, which means it *will* saturate the network.

that's why many nases have multiple gigabit ports or 10gig-e ports,
because gigabit is a significant bottleneck. 100bt would be a disaster.

When did Gigabit become standard?

roughly mid-2000s is when it was cheap enough to become widespread.

10gig-e is almost at that point now.

Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 laptop
have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and can't use
5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec at the time,
but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could be
wrong.

try something more recent, or investigate why it's not working well.
Old December 5th 18, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 12/5/2018 8:46 AM, NY wrote:

The spontaneous [WiFi] disconnection is less common...

I've had the single device WiFi disconnection. Only ONE device out of
the 10 or so gadgets I've got connected decides to quit working. The
first time it happened I spent a lot of time cussing and messing with
the affected device. Blew my mind. I finally figured out it was the
wireless router and rebooted it. Now when it happens I just
automatically reboot the wireless router. As I've often said, those
damn things operate on black magic...
Old December 5th 18, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 12/5/2018 7:44 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

Oh, I have those holes :-) I did the cabling myself. Took some
effort.

In my last house I had lots of holes also...but more for antennas.

As I started as a HAM...

I'm a ham too, licensed in 57. Was CW only for many years but like
Usenet the old CW ops were dying off. And the new young hams operated
like CBers. (A license free radio service in the US.)

My current house has an HOA...no antennas allowed. I tried being
incognito by running 50 watts to a hair-wire antenna over the roof, and
it worked OK (40, 30, and 20 Meters), but the interference to my
electronic devices was intolerable, especially my heater/AC with it's
fancy WiFi control. Also I imagine I was doing a number on my neighbors
stuff as well though I doubt they had a clue what was causing it. But
they got even without knowing about it. Their electronics often put an
S9+ buzzsaw onto my receiver so I finally gave it up. Fortunately The
Internet has pretty well filled the gap.

So OM 73... And back to our normally scheduled programming...

Old December 5th 18, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , 123456789
wrote:

My current house has an HOA...no antennas allowed.

they can only restrict modifications to the structure, not antennas, as
per fcc regulations.