Old December 5th 18, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 05/12/2018 15.51, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

you're missing the point.

And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

missing the point entirely, as usual.

copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

Ha! My laptop doesn't have a 2 TB disk. So, again, not an issue. :-p

it's just one example, and i didn't say it was *in* a laptop.

Ok, my desktop does have gigabit.

2tb drives are usually external, although some laptops do have 2tb
internal drives.

not that it matters, since even copying 2 gig of stuff, the difference
in time is significant.

tl;dr - there is no reason to use a slower link when faster ones exist,
which are standard on almost all hardware.

Yes, money! $

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Old December 5th 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 05/12/2018 20.10, NY wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
In article , 123456789
wrote:

My current house has an HOA...no antennas allowed.

they can only restrict modifications to the structure, not antennas, as
per fcc regulations.

Different countries have different regulations. When my house in the UK
was built, there was a builder's covenant which was part of the title
deeds for each house which said no external aerials. So everyone had
humungous aerials with amplifiers in the loft. Later on, when that
covenant lapsed, n years after the houses had been built and the
builder's publicity photos had been taken, there was no problem with
some people then having satellite dishes on the front (south-facing) wall.

I'm not sure how legally binding the original builder's restriction was,
but everyone abided by it: it just meant a slightly more expensive
aerial, and initially no dish for those people who wantred Sky rather
than Freeview.

Wow :-)

You could emigrate to Spain, before the Brexit, we have an accommodating
law for HAM antennas ;-)

(the community board for an apartment building can not oppose a HAM
placing antennas on the roof, for instance)

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 5th 18, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , NY
wrote:

In article , 123456789
wrote:
My current house has an HOA...no antennas allowed.

they can only restrict modifications to the structure, not antennas, as
per fcc regulations.

Different countries have different regulations.

yep. 123456789 is in the usa, where fcc regulations apply.
Old December 5th 18, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Ok, my desktop does have gigabit.

excellent.
Old December 5th 18, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Anyway, while the laptop is writing huge files to somewhere else
(assuming it is), I can do other things on the same laptop or in another
computer.

except that you or others can't do anything with those files until it's
done copying.

Not at all. I can on another computer copy the same file to another
destination. And on any of those destinations I can start vlc to watch
that file, which happens to be a movie that is being copied from
computer to computer - if I wish to do so.

not always, but if it does, not in its entirety and read-only, and that
doesn't apply to all types of files either.

try using a database before all of it has copied. good luck on that one.

Old December 5th 18, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

the point you *still* miss is that with gigabit being standard, there
is no point in intentionally using much slower 100bt.

Nononono. It is not intentionally using 100Mbit. It is keeping using
hardware that work fine but don't have modern features, and are not
replaced because the replacement cost money.

it's very much intentional if you don't replace outdated hardware, and
you get to deal with its slowness until you do.

If you so abhor we using five year old hardware, well, you can
contribute with a donation. I promise to label them appropriately in
your honour. ;-)

gigabit has been widespread for more than a decade, usually standard
(not an optional extra) and available for roughly 20 years.

And while we are in that mood, my desktop still uses USB2. I would
appreciate an expansion card for USB3, because USB2 is so slowwww!

so buy one. they're cheap.

$13 us for a 2 port, and that's just the first that came up in a search.
<https://www.amazon.com/Express-Expan...ill-RC-508/dp/
B011LZY20G
Old December 5th 18, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

A "proper multitasking and multiuser operating system" (which ones do and
don't fall into this category, I wonder - cue Linux versus MacOS versus
Windows snobbery?) will solve the third problem of "others being able to
access the files on the server", but it doesn't solve the problem that you
will still have to wait until the copy has completed before being able to
disconnect/unmount a USB stick or external disk drive.

even for servers, others can't access the files until everything has
completed copying.

Nope :-p

wrong.
Old December 5th 18, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 05/12/2018 16:01, NY wrote:

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7
laptop have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and
can't use 5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec
at the time, but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could
be wrong.

My two desktop P4s are both Gigabit, one on-board, the other a very
cheap PCI-card when the on-board went down after a thunderstorm -
can't remember for sure whether the on-board was Gigabit or not, but I
think so. I can't use them at the moment, and therefore can't check,
because my monitor caught fire about 6 months ago, and I haven't been
able to afford replacing it since.
Old December 5th 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

NY wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
how old is this mystery laptop that it doesn't have gigabit?

computers, servers, etc made in the past decade (actually longer than
that) have gigabit, which means it *will* saturate the network.

that's why many nases have multiple gigabit ports or 10gig-e ports,
because gigabit is a significant bottleneck. 100bt would be a disaster.

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 laptop
have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and can't use
5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec at the time,
but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could be
wrong.

Don't worry. You're just living in the real world. My 2015 mid-range
laptop also just has 100 BASE-T (and Wireless N).

FWIW, I just checked two of our biggest webshops and even for dektops,
out of 20+ selection criteria, hardwired LAN speed isn't even a
selection criterium and in the individual specs, it's most of the time
not even mentioned, i.e. just 'Ethernet'. Kind of shows how relevant
Gigabit Ethernet is in the real (consumer) world.

[...]
Old December 5th 18, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

how old is this mystery laptop that it doesn't have gigabit?

computers, servers, etc made in the past decade (actually longer than
that) have gigabit, which means it *will* saturate the network.

that's why many nases have multiple gigabit ports or 10gig-e ports,
because gigabit is a significant bottleneck. 100bt would be a disaster.

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 laptop
have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and can't use
5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec at the time,
but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could be
wrong.

Don't worry. You're just living in the real world. My 2015 mid-range
laptop also just has 100 BASE-T (and Wireless N).

that's unusual for a midrange product and even a bit surprising for a
low end product.

FWIW, I just checked two of our biggest webshops and even for dektops,
out of 20+ selection criteria, hardwired LAN speed isn't even a
selection criterium and in the individual specs, it's most of the time
not even mentioned, i.e. just 'Ethernet'. Kind of shows how relevant
Gigabit Ethernet is in the real (consumer) world.

it's not mentioned because it's gigabit, so there's no need to mention
anything.