Old December 5th 18, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 12/5/2018 12:10 PM, NY wrote:
123456789 wrote:

My current house has an HOA...no antennas allowed.

Different countries have different regulations. When my house in the
UK was built, there was a builder's covenant which was part of the
title deeds for each house which said no external aerials.

I signed such a document (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions) when I
bought my current house. It is quite restrictive on many subjects, not
just antennas. Some people hate them. But I moved from an HOA free
neighborhood where I previously lived for 30 years and it was getting to
look pretty bad. Course I suppose my neighbors there didn't think my ham
antennas were a beautiful sight either...

So everyone had humungous aerials with amplifiers in the loft.

Our local TV station transmitting antennas are located on a nearby 1200
foot mountain so in most cases rabbit ears propped on top of the set
will work. But with my cable TV service that became unnecessary.

there was no problem with some people then having satellite dishes
on the front (south-facing) wall.

Satellite dishes are allowed here but the installation details must be
approved by the HOA.

I'm not sure how legally binding the original builder's restriction
was, but everyone abided by it

My HOA has the power to assess fines for violations. If the fines are
unpaid they can put a lien on the house. Or take you to court. It can
become very unpleasant for those who resist... 8-O

Old December 6th 18, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 05/12/2018 19:13, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
I have never seen any Wifi degradation like you describe that were not
due to local interference from neighbours or arc welding.

I'd put it down to local interference, if the problem had not followed
me when I moved house.

Hmm... no idea then. Might be worth trying a new router of a reputable make.

Weird that it affects several PCs, several routers and two different
locations where router channel was deliberately chosen to have no
overlaps with neighbouring networks.

I have known some Apple products that really don't get on at all with
certain router chipsets but despite the more variation in PC hardware
I have never had all that much bother with Wifi connections. It mostly
just works apart from in heavily shielded parts of the house.

Ah, that's interesting, My wife often moans that her iPad gets very slow
web browsing and dropped connections when my Windows laptop and Android
phone work fine.

Atheros and Broadcom are chipsets of choice for Apple compatibility. The
bugs that cause trouble seem to be in multicastDNS variously called
zeroconf, Rendezvous or Bonjour. ISP supplied routers are notorious for
not doing it very well which leads to unreliable Apple (& Naim) kit
operation. If you only have PCs then it isn't a problem.

Some powerline devices despite using Atheros chipset have botched mDNS.

Marvell chipset is a bit too new to be sure whether it is good or not.

Chipsets to avoid with Apple gear are Realtek and Ralink. And you
absolutely need a solid implementation of mDNS in some flavour.

Martin Brown
Old December 6th 18, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 05/12/2018 20:08, Frank Slootweg wrote:
NY wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
how old is this mystery laptop that it doesn't have gigabit?

computers, servers, etc made in the past decade (actually longer than
that) have gigabit, which means it *will* saturate the network.

that's why many nases have multiple gigabit ports or 10gig-e ports,
because gigabit is a significant bottleneck. 100bt would be a disaster.

When did Gigabit become standard? Both my Win 7 desktop and my Win 7 laptop
have 100 Mbps Ethernet, and the laptop's wifi is only 2.4 GHz and can't use
5 GHz, but it is wireless N. I imagine that was a typical spec at the time,
but things have moved on since then.

I'd estimate that desktop is 2008 and laptop 2009 or 2010, but I could be
wrong.

Don't worry. You're just living in the real world. My 2015 mid-range
laptop also just has 100 BASE-T (and Wireless N).

FWIW, I just checked two of our biggest webshops and even for dektops,
out of 20+ selection criteria, hardwired LAN speed isn't even a
selection criterium and in the individual specs, it's most of the time
not even mentioned, i.e. just 'Ethernet'. Kind of shows how relevant
Gigabit Ethernet is in the real (consumer) world.

That's because 10/100/1000 has pretty much become the default now. They
would only shout about it if they offered anything faster.

Corporate kit that is being retired at present is gigabit capable eg.

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pr...-Professional/

And available refurbished at very reasonable prices.

Martin Brown
Old December 6th 18, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

I have known some Apple products that really don't get on at all with
certain router chipsets but despite the more variation in PC hardware
I have never had all that much bother with Wifi connections. It mostly
just works apart from in heavily shielded parts of the house.

Ah, that's interesting, My wife often moans that her iPad gets very slow
web browsing and dropped connections when my Windows laptop and Android
phone work fine.

Atheros and Broadcom are chipsets of choice for Apple compatibility. The
bugs that cause trouble seem to be in multicastDNS variously called
zeroconf, Rendezvous or Bonjour. ISP supplied routers are notorious for
not doing it very well which leads to unreliable Apple (& Naim) kit
operation. If you only have PCs then it isn't a problem.

not true. mdns is used by more than just apple and whether it works
correctly is a function of the router's firmware, not the chipset used.

where it's a problem is across vlans, but very few people have vlans,
other than a guest wifi network which is usually set up as a vlan.

Some powerline devices despite using Atheros chipset have botched mDNS.

Marvell chipset is a bit too new to be sure whether it is good or not.

Chipsets to avoid with Apple gear are Realtek and Ralink.

also not true.

And you
absolutely need a solid implementation of mDNS in some flavour.

that part is true. mdns is *extremely* useful.
Old December 6th 18, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

exactly the point, and what i've been saying since the start of this.

They
would only shout about it if they offered anything faster.

or slower. these days, gigabit is assumed unless stated otherwise.

Old December 6th 18, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

NY wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
[...]

And they would keep silent if the offered only 100.

Corporate kit that is being retired at present is gigabit capable eg.

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pr...-Professional/

And available refurbished at very reasonable prices.

I wish they'd do that here.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 6th 18, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 06/12/2018 14:40, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 06/12/2018 15.09, Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]
Corporate kit that is being retired at present is gigabit capable eg.

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pr...-Professional/

And available refurbished at very reasonable prices.

I wish they'd do that here.

Is there no equivalent of Morgan Computers in Spain or France?
(there is a business opportunity here for you)

They were a lot better in the past with really stunning bargains if you
had the space to accomodate bulky workhorse printers. Nowadays almost
everything they offer is refurbished rather than end of line.

Martin Brown
Old December 6th 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

NY wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
[...]

Note that nospam mentioned "computers, servers, etc".

It's probably true for "servers", i.e. (mostly) professional use, but
that's not the topic of this thread, nor of this group.

The "computers" part is desktops and laptops and this (sub)thread is
mainly about laptops (nospam telling Carlos what's 'wrong' with his
system(s) and network).

As I said, my 3 year old mid-range laptop does *not* have Gigabit
Ethernet. A new comparable laptop - same (major) brand/range and similar
price - *does* have Gigabit Ethernet, so AFAIC nospam's claim "made in
the past decade (actually longer than that)" is way over the top. Not
that that's unusual in any way, but still. (Anyway, it's a bit silly to
talk about the 'neccessity' of very high *hardwired* network speed for a
*mobile* device such as a laptop.)

So back in the real world, mere mortals like Carlos, myself, etc.
don't have nor want/need gigabit all over the place, just because nospam
thinks it's a more-than-a-decade-old must-have.

Corporate kit that is being retired at present is gigabit capable eg.

Exactly *corporate* *desktop* kit and it's probably being retired
after only a few years, *not* "made in the past decade (actually longer
than that)".

Old December 6th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

FWIW, I just checked two of our biggest webshops and even for dektops,
out of 20+ selection criteria, hardwired LAN speed isn't even a
selection criterium and in the individual specs, it's most of the time
not even mentioned, i.e. just 'Ethernet'. Kind of shows how relevant
Gigabit Ethernet is in the real (consumer) world.

That's because 10/100/1000 has pretty much become the default now. They
would only shout about it if they offered anything faster.

Note that nospam mentioned "computers, servers, etc".

It's probably true for "servers", i.e. (mostly) professional use, but
that's not the topic of this thread, nor of this group.

The "computers" part is desktops and laptops and this (sub)thread is
mainly about laptops (nospam telling Carlos what's 'wrong' with his
system(s) and network).

the computers part are also gigabit.

As I said, my 3 year old mid-range laptop does *not* have Gigabit
Ethernet.

that's unusual and an exception.

A new comparable laptop - same (major) brand/range and similar
price - *does* have Gigabit Ethernet, so AFAIC nospam's claim "made in
the past decade (actually longer than that)" is way over the top.

nonsense. nearly all computers, routers and other networking equipment
made in the past decade or so have gigabit, many of which older than
that.

Not
that that's unusual in any way, but still. (Anyway, it's a bit silly to
talk about the 'neccessity' of very high *hardwired* network speed for a
*mobile* device such as a laptop.)

gigabit is not 'very high speed'.

it's actually slow enough that it's a significant bottleneck.

10gig-e could be considered 'very high speed', but that's quickly
changing.

So back in the real world, mere mortals like Carlos, myself, etc.
don't have nor want/need gigabit all over the place, just because nospam
thinks it's a more-than-a-decade-old must-have.

another personal attack.

the industry thinks gigabit is a must have, especially given the amount
of data people are managing and that nvme ssds, usb3 and thunderbolt
are *much* faster.
Old December 6th 18, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 06/12/2018 14:10, nospam wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

The chipset is a part of it though - for some reason the canonical
firmware implementation on Atheros and Broadcom chipset based devices is
considerably more Apple friendly than with other chipsets. I'm not
saying you can't find a bad implementation on them only that all the
reliability problems I have seen with Apple kit seem to come from
routers that use certain chipsets (irrespective of their firmware).

where it's a problem is across vlans, but very few people have vlans,
other than a guest wifi network which is usually set up as a vlan.

Some powerline devices despite using Atheros chipset have botched mDNS.

Marvell chipset is a bit too new to be sure whether it is good or not.

Chipsets to avoid with Apple gear are Realtek and Ralink.

also not true.

If you are having problems with Apple gear and a specific router it is a
reasonable heuristic to take a look at. There may well be good router
implementations on these chipsets but I have yet to see one. I have seen
plenty of instances of Apple kit being tetchy about what it talks to.

And you
absolutely need a solid implementation of mDNS in some flavour.

that part is true. mdns is *extremely* useful.

The key being that it needs to be rock solid or things will break.

Martin Brown