Old December 13th 18, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

In article , +++ATH0
wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.

nonsense.

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

Old December 13th 18, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 13/12/2018 14:13, nospam wrote:
In article , +++ATH0
wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.

nonsense.

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

This is why I say install ducts.

I've got Cat5E between my house and my man cave - and I haven't even
bothered to get a gig-capable switch for the end. (It's on the shopping
list... just after the NAS...)

Maybe in 10 years time I'll pull a fibre.

Andy
Old December 13th 18, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Vir Campestris
wrote:

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

This is why I say install ducts.

conduit.

I've got Cat5E between my house and my man cave - and I haven't even
bothered to get a gig-capable switch for the end. (It's on the shopping
list... just after the NAS...)

why not? they're cheap.

Maybe in 10 years time I'll pull a fibre.

most likely sooner than that.