Old December 1st 18, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 30/11/2018 14.16, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 29/11/2018 21.46, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 28/11/2018 17.03, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/11/2018 13:03, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 28/11/2018 12.57, Martin Brown wrote:

Forget about me replacing the ISP provided router, out of the question.

Why? Well, they manage the router remotely, and they do not publish the
various and complex configurations needed for the router to handle the
phone and TV services. And they do change things, that make things stop
working if you use your own hardware.

Yes, I believe some people do it. I don't have time for that. For
fighting the device and them.

I'm not talking about replacing the ISP provided router, but about
*adding* your own, i.e. just for Internet (not phone and TV services).
That's why I asked if your broadband modem/router has a LAN port, but
you didn't answer that question. (And of course I mean a LAN port on the
*modem* side, not just at the local side of the router.)

No.

There is one, which is connected to the ONT device. Intended for input.

Any router I'd add would have to cover all the services on the house.

I know how to connect an AP there, which is what I would do.

Anyhow, if you have a "600 Mbit land line", then why does your ISP get
away with providing only a 45 Mbps router? If an ISP in our country
tried that, a few complaints to a consumer organization would make the
ISP get their act together very quickly.

Interesting question, but all providers do that.

If they do, they should - if not to say must - provide a LAN port on
the modem side, so the customer can add their own higher speed Wi-Fi
router.

No, there are 4 LAN ports on the other side of the modem. Hardware wise,
yes, I could replace the modem entirely. Certainly. The problem is its
configuration, not published.

I can *add* an access point for WiFi, which is not a router, on the same
LAN (or it would not handle TV).

The setup they do is:

(wifi)
Y Y
fibre--[ONT]--eth---[router]--4 eth ports--[TV module]

The phone is currently connected to the ONT.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Old December 1st 18, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 12.00, Piet wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
Anyhow, if you have a "600 Mbit land line", then why does your ISP get
away with providing only a 45 Mbps router? If an ISP in our country
tried that, a few complaints to a consumer organization would make the
ISP get their act together very quickly.

That wouldn't happen. What does "600 Mbit land line" say? To me only
that the line is capable of 600 Mbps. But it says nothing about the
customer's subscription. If I pay for, say, 30 Mbps, then a 45 Mbps
router does the job and there's nothing to complain about.
My fiber land line is capable of 1 Gbps, maybe much more, but I pay
for 100 Mbps, so that's what I get and I have no reason to complain.

No, it is 600 Mbits contracted. It is difficult to contract less, they
do not publish it. Only after insisting for a lower speed they tell you.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 1st 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 14:24, Carlos E.R. wrote:

So I find another page on India, which says "802.11 ac". So, no "n".

<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/lenovo-yoga-300-11ibr-5295

'ac' is the next standard *beyond* 'n', and so will be backward
compatible with 'n'
Old December 1st 18, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 14:35, Carlos E.R. wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.
Old December 1st 18, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

Old December 1st 18, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In message , nospam
writes:
In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g? I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

Ever been frustrated that you can't *disagree* with a petition? If so, visit
255soft.uk - and please pass it on, too.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - , 1998
Old December 1st 18, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 15:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

In message , nospam
writes:

In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

Not necessarily - I have a Dell Latitude 610 that has only b/g WiFi
but a gigabit ethernet port.

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g? I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

It does depend what you use it for. On my Dell Latitude 610 using WiFi,
if you just want to browse the web, it's fine, but the moment you need
to move files about or stream even just audio, then it's no good.

Ever been frustrated that you can't *disagree* with a petition? If so,
visit
255soft.uk - and please pass it on, too.

Please fix your sig.
Old December 1st 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Carlos E.R. wrote:
My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g.

USB slot free? Add a USB 802.11ac (nano) adapter.

-p

Old December 1st 18, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is
10, 20 or 40 gb/s, also depending on version, making gigabit the
bottleneck. many nases now have dual or quad gigabit ethernet ports
which can be bonded together, an option until 10gb becomes mainstream.

also, 802.11g throughput (ignoring the proprietary 'turbo' variants) is
roughly half its theoretical maximum of 54mbit, or around 27mb/s. it's
less as you get further from the base station, typically in the 20mb
range, or only about twice as fast as 10bt. in other words, slow.

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.
Old December 1st 18, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

Not necessarily - I have a Dell Latitude 610 that has only b/g WiFi
but a gigabit ethernet port.

that's why i said more than likely.

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g? I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

It does depend what you use it for. On my Dell Latitude 610 using WiFi,
if you just want to browse the web, it's fine, but the moment you need
to move files about or stream even just audio, then it's no good.

exactly the point.