Old December 1st 18, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

In message , nospam
writes:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

[]
What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is

[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.

Some will. A lot won't.

Ever been frustrated that you can't *disagree* with a petition? If so, visit
255soft.uk - and please pass it on, too.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Old soldiers never die - only young ones

Old December 1st 18, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is

[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

answered in the first line: just about everything.

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.

Some will. A lot won't.

a lot will.
Old December 1st 18, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In message , nospam
writes:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is

[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

answered in the first line: just about everything.

I disagree, but regardless of whether that's true or not ...

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

.... that isn't relevant to my point, which was that unless you have a
_use_ that requires a certain speed, it doesn't really matter whether
all the _hardware_ you use to support that use can go at ten or a
hundred times that speed.

For example: I doubt there's a _need_ for keyboards (and probably not
mice or other pointing devices) to be more than USB 1.1, though I
suspect they're mostly USB2.

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.

Some will. A lot won't.

a lot will.

We're both right there.

visit 255soft.uk (UK only)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.
It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)
Old December 1st 18, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is
[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

answered in the first line: just about everything.

I disagree, but regardless of whether that's true or not ...

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

... that isn't relevant to my point,

it's *exactly* relevant.

if the devices being used can each send and receive data at rates
faster than gigabit, then connecting them with much slower 100bt is
going to be a very, very bad choice.

which was that unless you have a
_use_ that requires a certain speed, it doesn't really matter whether
all the _hardware_ you use to support that use can go at ten or a
hundred times that speed.

once again, just about everything these days does.

do you really need a list? moving files or other data, streaming audio
& video, gaming, screen sharing and much more.

also, the more people there are on a given network, the faster it needs
to be.

For example: I doubt there's a _need_ for keyboards (and probably not
mice or other pointing devices) to be more than USB 1.1, though I
suspect they're mostly USB2.

they're usb 2 because usb 1.1 is obsolete, however, they probably don't
run at hi speed.
Old December 2nd 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 16.26, nospam wrote:
In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

which I do when I need more throughput.

better yet, replace it entirely.

Not going to happen - unless you kindly donate the hardware :-p

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Old December 2nd 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 16.49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , nospam
writes:
In article , Java Jive
wrote:

My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g

In which case, I'd definitely cable it.

better yet, replace it entirely.

its ethernet port is more than likely 100bt instead of gigabit and the
rest of it is likely very out of date too.

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g? I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

That's right. I don't need it for streaming to my chromecast ultra, and
that needs the input stream from somewhere, and another stream going to
the chromecast.

Updates? Well, just wait a bit more.

Transfer big files? Well, just wait a bit more.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 20.49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , nospam
writes:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

[]
What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is

[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

And that laptop doesn't have USB3, either, so not an issue. That's the
only thing I miss.

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.

Some will. A lot won't.

I use HD, and it doesn't need more than 1 M.
Now 4K... But I don't have a 4K TV set.

Heck, the Google Chromecast Ultra which I bought this month has eth 100,
not 1000: and it does 4K. The TV decoder is also on 100M. Everything
connected to my router is 100M, except the connection to the switch on
the computer room which is 1G. I know because I have a proper switch
there and the leds are yellow, not green (except the router itself and
the line going to the computer room).

Streaming video works well with my WiFi at 40M, in fact.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 21.04, nospam wrote:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is

[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

answered in the first line: just about everything.

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

Modern hardware is faster, yes. But do you really *use* it in a manner
that slower hardware wouldn't work? I don't.

I can only think of HD streaming, and a lot of laptop
users won't be using that.

of course they will, as they would on tablets and phones.

Some will. A lot won't.

a lot will.

We don't.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 02/12/2018 00.29, nospam wrote:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

[...]

Not at all.

which was that unless you have a
_use_ that requires a certain speed, it doesn't really matter whether
all the _hardware_ you use to support that use can go at ten or a
hundred times that speed.

once again, just about everything these days does.

do you really need a list? moving files or other data, streaming audio
& video, gaming, screen sharing and much more.

Not streaming video nor audio, because that's about 1M only. Unless you
send it decompressed, and I have not seen that happening.
Even decompressed audio - CD rate is 1,411,200 bits per second. At that
speed I can send several at the same time!

also, the more people there are on a given network, the faster it needs
to be.

But there aren't :-p

And not the case with proper switches.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 01/12/2018 17.22, Piet wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
My main laptop doesn't, only 802.11b/g.

USB slot free? Add a USB 802.11ac (nano) adapter.

When I need more speed I connect a cable, which I hide behind the TV set :-)

But yes, that's an idea.
Nano? Interesting. The problem with those is knowing what they are when
you have more than one such. Or not loosing them.

--
Cheers, Carlos.