Old December 2nd 18, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 01/12/2018 16.23, Java Jive wrote:
On 01/12/2018 14:24, Carlos E.R. wrote:

So I find another page on India, which says "802.11 ac". So, no "n".

<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/lenovo-yoga-300-11ibr-5295

'ac' is the next standard *beyond* 'n', and so will be backward
compatible with 'n'

Oops.

I never remember all those letters.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Old December 2nd 18, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Carlos E.R. wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

'ac' is the next standard *beyond* 'n', and so will be backward
compatible with 'n'

I never remember all those letters.

Look forward to 802.11ax soon,
with the catchy marketing name of "WiFi 6"

Old December 2nd 18, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 02/12/2018 13.38, Andy Burns wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

'ac' is the next standard *beyond* 'n', and so will be backward
compatible with 'n'

I never remember all those letters.

Look forward to 802.11ax soon,
with the catchy marketing name of "WiFi 6"

LOL.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Andy Burns wrote:
Carlos E.R. wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
'ac' is the next standard *beyond* 'n', and so will be backward
compatible with 'n'

I never remember all those letters.

Look forward to 802.11ax soon,

And don't forget your binoculars, because "soon" might be end 2019.

-p

Old December 2nd 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Piet
wrote:

Look forward to 802.11ax soon,

And don't forget your binoculars, because "soon" might be end 2019.

draft units will be available before then, with many access points
being sold today only needing a firmware update.

Old December 2nd 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

... that isn't relevant to my point,

it's *exactly* relevant.

if the devices being used can each send and receive data at rates
faster than gigabit, then connecting them with much slower 100bt is
going to be a very, very bad choice.

Not at all.

yes it is, very much so.
Old December 2nd 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

What uses do you have in mind that need more than 100M - or even more
than the 56M of g?

just about everything.

usb 3 hard drives are roughly double that, with ssds *significantly*
faster (2-3 gb/s).

usb 3 ports are 5 or 10gb/s, depending on version, and thunderbolt is
[etc.]
I didn't ask "what have you got that goes that fast", I asked "what
_uses_ do you have ..."

answered in the first line: just about everything.

modern hardware is much faster than gigabit, so gigabit becomes a
bottleneck, which means using 100bt is a *really* bad idea.

Modern hardware is faster, yes. But do you really *use* it in a manner
that slower hardware wouldn't work? I don't.

then you're doing something wrong.

usb 2 is faster than 100bt, so simply by copying files to/fro a usb 2
drive over the network, gigabit will provide a significant speed
improvement.

usb 3 is faster than gigabit, so 100bt would be horribly crippling.

and that's just one use case.
Old December 2nd 18, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 02/12/2018 16.08, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

[...]

I know it is faster. But the times that really matters, are not even
once in a week. Rather once in a month. That I have to wait while I
copy files? yes. So, what?

It only really matters if it is so slow that I can not get things done -
and that is never the case yet.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 2nd 18, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Modern hardware is faster, yes. But do you really *use* it in a manner
that slower hardware wouldn't work? I don't.

then you're doing something wrong.

usb 2 is faster than 100bt, so simply by copying files to/fro a usb 2
drive over the network, gigabit will provide a significant speed
improvement.

usb 3 is faster than gigabit, so 100bt would be horribly crippling.

and that's just one use case.

I know it is faster.

that's the whole point.

But the times that really matters, are not even
once in a week. Rather once in a month. That I have to wait while I
copy files? yes. So, what?

you copy files only once a month???

do you not do any sort of backup?

It only really matters if it is so slow that I can not get things done -
and that is never the case yet.

then you don't do much with your computers.
Old December 3rd 18, 04:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 02/12/2018 23.48, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Modern hardware is faster, yes. But do you really *use* it in a manner
that slower hardware wouldn't work? I don't.

then you're doing something wrong.

usb 2 is faster than 100bt, so simply by copying files to/fro a usb 2
drive over the network, gigabit will provide a significant speed
improvement.

usb 3 is faster than gigabit, so 100bt would be horribly crippling.

and that's just one use case.

I know it is faster.

that's the whole point.

But the times that really matters, are not even
once in a week. Rather once in a month. That I have to wait while I
copy files? yes. So, what?

you copy files only once a month???

do you not do any sort of backup?

Why would it matter to me if it takes one hour or two or eight? I'm
sleeping. :-P

--
Cheers, Carlos.