Old December 3rd 18, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 02/12/2018 23.48, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Modern hardware is faster, yes. But do you really *use* it in a manner
that slower hardware wouldn't work? I don't.

then you're doing something wrong.

usb 2 is faster than 100bt, so simply by copying files to/fro a usb 2
drive over the network, gigabit will provide a significant speed
improvement.

usb 3 is faster than gigabit, so 100bt would be horribly crippling.

and that's just one use case.

I know it is faster.

that's the whole point.

But the times that really matters, are not even
once in a week. Rather once in a month. That I have to wait while I
copy files? yes. So, what?

you copy files only once a month???

do you not do any sort of backup?

Why would it matter to me if it takes one hour or two or eight? I'm
sleeping. :-P

Be gentle with nospam, will you!? Multiprogramming/multitasking is
apparently an alian concept to him. But that's understandable, after all
it's only some six decades or so old.

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else. And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

Old December 3rd 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

[...]

Otherwise, a donation of a fast router and fast laptop or two would be
appreciated ;-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 3rd 18, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

missing the point entirely, as usual.

copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

although copying 2tb is not an every day event, the difference in time
for typical copies is significant. seconds versus minutes; minutes
versus hours.
Old December 3rd 18, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 12/3/2018 6:27 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

Be gentle with nospam, will you!? Multiprogramming/multitasking is
apparently an alian concept to him. But that's understandable, after
all it's only some six decades or so old.

Be careful. He'll charge you with an ad hominem attack, claim
victimhood, and declare victory. There's absolutely no kidding with
him...but wait...you aren't kidding are you... 8-O
Old December 3rd 18, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

123456789 wrote:
On 12/3/2018 6:27 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

Be gentle with nospam, will you!? Multiprogramming/multitasking is
apparently an alian concept to him. But that's understandable, after
all it's only some six decades or so old.

Be careful. He'll charge you with an ad hominem attack, claim
victimhood, and declare victory.

Yup, he did that in the previous round and declared victory where
victory was impossible. But heh, with a bit of silent context-snipping
and some more footstamping, anything is possible, isn't it!?

This time? His response was more concocted dodges/diversions, lack of
imagination and a PKB "missing the point entirely, as usual" followed by
yet another demonstration of not knowing how (not) to make backup.

There's absolutely no kidding with
him...but wait...you aren't kidding are you... 8-O

Kidding about comments which can't be taken seriously!? Why would
anyone do *that*!?

Old December 3rd 18, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Be gentle with nospam, will you!? Multiprogramming/multitasking is
apparently an alian concept to him. But that's understandable, after
all it's only some six decades or so old.

Be careful. He'll charge you with an ad hominem attack, claim
victimhood, and declare victory.

Yup, he did that in the previous round and declared victory where
victory was impossible. But heh, with a bit of silent context-snipping
and some more footstamping, anything is possible, isn't it!?

false.

This time? His response was more concocted dodges/diversions, lack of
imagination and a PKB "missing the point entirely, as usual" followed by
yet another demonstration of not knowing how (not) to make backup.

also false.

as usual with you, you diverge from the actual topic and turn it
personal.
Old December 4th 18, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 03/12/2018 16.09, nospam wrote:
In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

And for backup there's this
thing called 'unattended backup'. I hope nospam doesn't mind that while
I'm typing this, my unattended backup is running. Can't wait - oops,
make that: don't have to wait - till it's finished.

missing the point entirely, as usual.

copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

Ha! My laptop doesn't have a 2 TB disk. So, again, not an issue. :-p

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 4th 18, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Carlos E.R. wrote:
nospam wrote:
copying a 2 terabyte drive (which is small these days) via usb 2 takes
roughly a day (been there, done that). that would take a couple of days
over 100b-t network.

Ha! My laptop doesn't have a 2 TB disk. So, again, not an issue. :-p

Wonder how much time it would take to copy a 2 TB drive using a 3D-printer.

-p

Old December 4th 18, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
NY NY is offline

wrote:

In the meantime, in the real world, people don't 'wait' when they're
copying files, they just do something else.

they might not sit and watch the progress bar, but they do have to wait
until the copy has completed to continue, whether it's removing the usb
stick, unmounting the external hard drive, or others being able to
access the files on the server.

No such problem. Just use a proper multitasking and multiuser operating
system.

A "proper multitasking and multiuser operating system" (which ones do and
don't fall into this category, I wonder - cue Linux versus MacOS versus
Windows snobbery?) will solve the third problem of "others being able to
access the files on the server", but it doesn't solve the problem that you
will still have to wait until the copy has completed before being able to
disconnect/unmount a USB stick or external disk drive.

Also, if you do a big file copy over a slow network connection (Ethernet or
wifi) you may restrict the throughput available to other network users -
unless the source and destination computers are on the same LAN segment,
separated from the rest of the LAN by a switch which keeps that traffic off
the rest of the LAN. I remember saturating the LAN in our office when I was
testing restoring PCs to a factory state using a Ghost image stored on a
server: Ghost originally ran flat-out, using as much bandwidth as the LAN
and LAN cards could manage. I was instrumental in getting Norton to add a
"throttle" switch to Ghost so the server could set a maximum bandwidth for
serving PC disk images - obviously it then takes longer to transfer the
image, but you maintain some LAN bandwidth for other users.

After unwittingly "killing" the LAN, I very quickly got a switch and
connected the server and test PC to a "private" segment that could still
access the rest of the company LAN but which could talk between themselves
without slowing down the rest of the LAN.

In the same way, a big PC to PC file copy of a recorded TV programme has the
potential to affect other PCs which are streaming from one of those
computers or even from an unrelated computer on the LAN.

Old December 4th 18, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

On 28/11/2018 17.08, nospam wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

Well, my WiFi does at most 45 Mbit (with a 600 Mbit land line). So 4G,
with a theoretical speed of 301Mbit, is faster than my WiFi - unless
there are many phones in the area actively using internet, because the
speed is shared.

That seems insanely slow WiFi speed for such a fast landline.

Many people have such slow WiFi. And even slower if living on a flat
(apartment): 1 MB is typical.

If there are zillions of users all fighting for the same channel 11 as
BT used to by default set them up to do then you can get a huge slowdown
due to collisions. I persuaded my nearest neighbours to use channels so
that people on the same channel are separated as widely as possible.

Yes, it is possible to purchase access points using 5 Gh and improve speed.

Most ISP provided modems are capable of 5GHz operation and 802.11n these
days - maybe you should ask your ISP to replace your antidiluvian unit.

while 5ghz is certainly preferred, 802.11n @ 2.4gz would be faster than
his 45mbit.

I just checked the box of the router, and its web control page, and it
is set to 802.11n, and this is set to the maximum of 40 Mhz in the
config page.

It is an Asus RT-N12D1. The specs say:

Standars: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.3, IEEE
802.3u, IPv4, IPv6.

Speeds:

802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps.
802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54Mbps.
802.11n: up to 300Mbps. <==

300 Mbps? My downloads happen at 12 Mbytes, at 1 metre from the access
point, using a modern laptop that has 802.11 ac. That is, I get about
120 mbps.

which is not bad, considering.

--
Cheers, Carlos.