Old November 28th 18, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:49:30 +0000, Woody
wrote:

<snip

Tim,
You can load WA onto her iPad

I believe it's already there mate, from the last time she used it on
there with her iPhone.

and use her mobile number where requested.

Ok. I think we have only ever used the QR code thing to authenticate
the non telephone device (as I do here with my S7 and XP / Mini).

They will send the activation code by text, then once the code is
entered the iPad will work perfectly well on wi-fi - or it should!

I agree that if they can authenticate a mobile Whatsapp account by
sending a text then as you say, no reason why it wouldn't work,
however, it seems I often have to re-authenticate the non-mobile
device (I'm not sure under what circumstances [1]) with the QR code
thing and that adds another layer of complexity to the process
(especially for Mum).

We can certainly give it a try though, thanks.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Maybe if the phone isn't logged into WA when the other device
tries to go online?

Old November 28th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 13:13:33 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:29:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).

The bigger issue for older people is the physical size of smartphones. My
mum copes ok with her iPad, but gets frustrated with her Android phone.
Being to tap things accurately and consistently on a small, flat screen is
a challenge for older people. That's why physical buttons are a benefit.

Luckily Mums eyesight is pretty good and she seems to find even a
small touchscreen keyboard more accurate than the physical pushbuttons
and multiple presses to get the letter you want.

I wasn't meaning eyesight, but manual dexterity to hit the right "button".
I'm glad your mum is fine with that.

Ah, on, and yes. Mum is still an avid / productive knitter so there is
nothing wrong with her dexterity. ;-)

I was using the 5s
yesterday and found data entry more reliable / accurate on that than
my SG7 with a screen twice the size? ;-(

Have you tried Swype/swiftkey?

Yes, I believe I have but didn't get on with that either. FWIW I
*always* turn of predictive text form all my devices as that too gets
in my way.

Why not stick WhatsApp on her iPad and keep her current doro?

I thought you needed to have a mobile phone account to do that (and we
have done that in the past).

Nope. Having amobile is simpler but not required. It's a messaging client
that also works on PC/Mac.

https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-wi...mber-sim-5365/

Hmm, fair few hoops to jump though there though Chris?

And it doesn't address the basic thought of actually having a
functional WA on her phone, should she want to send / receive a
picture when he's away from her iPad?

I will test it out though (on the Wife's Doro / W7), always good to
have an alternative solution but as she can't install TextNow to her
phone, I think we would have to use the landline way?

Looking at this though, it looks like it may not be available on her
new 64G iPad?

"Previously, iPad owners were able to use a workaround which allowed
them to directly install WhatsApp on iPad but ever since the release
of iOS 9 that method has stopped working."?

I've got her iPhone 5s here (waiting to get it network unlocked from
Voda) and WA still works on that ok.

Am I right in thinking that if Mum only has WA on her iPhone, if she
gets sent a picture on that, it will sync to her iPad(s) via the
iCloud?

Cheers, T i m

Old November 29th 18, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

T i m wrote:

Why not stick WhatsApp on her iPad and keep her current doro?

I thought you needed to have a mobile phone account to do that (and we
have done that in the past).

Nope. Having amobile is simpler but not required. It's a messaging client
that also works on PC/Mac.

https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-wi...mber-sim-5365/

Hmm, fair few hoops to jump though there though Chris?

Not really. Just use the landline.

And it doesn't address the basic thought of actually having a
functional WA on her phone, should she want to send / receive a
picture when he's away from her iPad?

How important is WA to your mum? Or are you looking for a reason to get her
a new phone?

I will test it out though (on the Wife's Doro / W7), always good to
have an alternative solution but as she can't install TextNow to her
phone, I think we would have to use the landline way?

Looking at this though, it looks like it may not be available on her
new 64G iPad?

"Previously, iPad owners were able to use a workaround which allowed
them to directly install WhatsApp on iPad but ever since the release
of iOS 9 that method has stopped working."?

Where do you see that? On my app store it says "Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
Compatible with iPad".

I've got her iPhone 5s here (waiting to get it network unlocked from
Voda) and WA still works on that ok.

Am I right in thinking that if Mum only has WA on her iPhone, if she
gets sent a picture on that, it will sync to her iPad(s) via the
iCloud?

Yes. If icloud is set up on both and she has a data connection available.

Remember this will increase her data usage significantly as each photo will
be transferred twice. Once to the phone by WA and then to icloud.

Old November 30th 18, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 23:08:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

<snip
https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-wi...mber-sim-5365/

Hmm, fair few hoops to jump though there though Chris?

Not really. Just use the landline.

Ok ...

And it doesn't address the basic thought of actually having a
functional WA on her phone, should she want to send / receive a
picture when he's away from her iPad?

How important is WA to your mum?

Quite (in as much as she has asked if she could have it on her phone
again a dew times)?

Or are you looking for a reason to get her
a new phone?

Quite the opposite mate. I try to keep away from any such activity
with anyone (I've been doing IT support all my life so it's a busman's
holiday now). ;-)

I will test it out though (on the Wife's Doro / W7), always good to
have an alternative solution but as she can't install TextNow to her
phone, I think we would have to use the landline way?

Looking at this though, it looks like it may not be available on her
new 64G iPad?

"Previously, iPad owners were able to use a workaround which allowed
them to directly install WhatsApp on iPad but ever since the release
of iOS 9 that method has stopped working."?

Where do you see that?

Off the link you supplied:

https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-on-ipad-5363/

On my app store it says "Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
Compatible with iPad".

Might be a typo on the techbout page then?

"You Still Need a Smartphone

Previously, iPad owners were able to use a workaround which allowed
them to directly install WhatsApp on iPad but ever since the release
of iOS 9 that method has stopped working.

Currently, the only way to get WhatsApp on iPad without jailbreaking
your device is through the web version of WhatsApp known as WhatsApp
Web.

Unfortunately, in order to use WhatsApp Web on your iPad you will need
a smartphone that has WhatsApp installed on it. To those who donít own
a smartphone this could come as a big letdown, there is really no way
to use WhatsApp Web without making use of a smartphone."

(Hence the comment about jumping though hoops)

I've got her iPhone 5s here (waiting to get it network unlocked from
Voda) and WA still works on that ok.

Am I right in thinking that if Mum only has WA on her iPhone, if she
gets sent a picture on that, it will sync to her iPad(s) via the
iCloud?

Yes. If icloud is set up on both and she has a data connection available.

Good and understood.

Remember this will increase her data usage significantly as each photo will
be transferred twice. Once to the phone by WA and then to icloud.

What are you referencing that to Chris? She's got 'unlimited' data on
her broadband and we generally keep her mobile data turned off on her
phone (there is nothing that important she would need between WiFi
locations and the last time we left Mobile Data on when she was on
holiday she somehow got signed up to something that billed her £4.95/w
and used up nearly 50 quids worth of credit (it turned out to be a
known scam and with little chance of getting her money back (from Voda
at the time) because she 'accepted it')). ;-(

We are hoping to pop round Mums today and see if the iPhone 5s has
actually been network unlocked by Apple (Voda said they had to forward
the request to Apple and we have had a reply etc) and she has the O2
SIM in her Doro.

Unlike the Mrs, Mum seems to be quite happy having a poke about on
these devices to see if she can get them to do what she wants but
often in so doing she can do 'damage' ... like, not being online,
trying to start Skype, it saying the password might be incorrect and
her then typing in something incorrectly (so it still won't connect
when she is actually online). Do these devices have an admin lock
option so people *can't* change such things?

Cheers, T i m
Old December 3rd 18, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 23:08:34 -0000

Looking at this though, it looks like it may not be available on her
new 64G iPad?

"Previously, iPad owners were able to use a workaround which allowed
them to directly install WhatsApp on iPad but ever since the release
of iOS 9 that method has stopped working."?

Where do you see that?

Off the link you supplied:

https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-on-ipad-5363/

On my app store it says "Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
Compatible with iPad".

Might be a typo on the techbout page then?

Yep. I'd trust the app store to be up to date and correct.

Unlike the Mrs, Mum seems to be quite happy having a poke about on
these devices to see if she can get them to do what she wants but
often in so doing she can do 'damage' ... like, not being online,
trying to start Skype, it saying the password might be incorrect and
her then typing in something incorrectly (so it still won't connect
when she is actually online). Do these devices have an admin lock
option so people *can't* change such things?

Yep. Check Family and Parental controls in Settings App. It moved about in
recent iOS updates. In iOS 12.x it's under Screen Time - content & privacy
restrictions. I can't remember where in 11.x. You'll need to enroll your
mum into the family first as a "child". I assume you have other Apple
devices/accounts that can be the "parent".

I originally set this up a while ago for my kids and things have change
substantially since. Best ask Apple for specifics
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304