UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 26th 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 374
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).

However, when she had the iPhone she somehow managed to sign up to
something that was billing her 4.95 a week, so eating though the 30
quid credit we put on there for her (before she mentioned anything).
;-(

Before the iPhone 6 (she briefly had an iPhone 5) she has a Samsung
Galaxy A300 and she seems to think she liked that (took it to Spain as
a camera and for Skype etc) but from memory it was always flat (so I
gave it to my daughter and gave her the iPhone as it had a better
battery life).

So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?

After putting the O2 SIM in Mums old Doro and removing all the bogus
entries from the phonebook and tidying it up in general, I ask her to
phone me on my mobile using the phonebook. She seemed completely
confused by the task and ended up phoning 'Tim <Home icon' because
she didn't seem to be able to determine how the menu cursor system
worked? This seems to be as un intuitive to such people as pressing Ok
to enter something they have selected?

The next step would be to wrote some step by step instructions re how
to use the phone / Phonebook but I guess tat would be just something
else she would carry about (or possibly lose /ignore) and she will
probably carry on just ringing people from her paper phonebook?

Now both Mum and my Mrs otherwise seem to be able to deal with most
other things in life and appear to have their marbles so what is it
about this everyday and pretty mature technology that doesn't seem to
be designed to deal with their inabilities?

I ask because I've been involved with 'tech' most of my life and so
may not have a typical POV on most of this?

In many cases the answer to their questions is what I guess it might
be and I'm even pretty close re how you might fix it (like the
(elderly) mate that phoned earlier to say he's been disconnected from
the Internet on the Linux laptop I sorted out for him and he finally
confirmed he had indeed turned the WiFi off (but with no idea how or
when)).

Often when gong round Mums I have to re-connect her to her WiFi on her
iPad (typically after she has taken it away somewhere) or sign her
back into Skype because she's tried to re-enter the password
(incorrectly) because she's not connected to the Internet etc? ;-(

Cups and string maybe? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

  #2   Report Post  
Old November 26th 18, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2015
Posts: 97
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).

However, when she had the iPhone she somehow managed to sign up to
something that was billing her 4.95 a week, so eating though the 30
quid credit we put on there for her (before she mentioned anything).
;-(

Before the iPhone 6 (she briefly had an iPhone 5) she has a Samsung
Galaxy A300 and she seems to think she liked that (took it to Spain as
a camera and for Skype etc) but from memory it was always flat (so I
gave it to my daughter and gave her the iPhone as it had a better
battery life).

So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?

After putting the O2 SIM in Mums old Doro and removing all the bogus
entries from the phonebook and tidying it up in general, I ask her to
phone me on my mobile using the phonebook. She seemed completely
confused by the task and ended up phoning 'Tim <Home icon' because
she didn't seem to be able to determine how the menu cursor system
worked? This seems to be as un intuitive to such people as pressing Ok
to enter something they have selected?

The next step would be to wrote some step by step instructions re how
to use the phone / Phonebook but I guess tat would be just something
else she would carry about (or possibly lose /ignore) and she will
probably carry on just ringing people from her paper phonebook?

Now both Mum and my Mrs otherwise seem to be able to deal with most
other things in life and appear to have their marbles so what is it
about this everyday and pretty mature technology that doesn't seem to
be designed to deal with their inabilities?

I ask because I've been involved with 'tech' most of my life and so
may not have a typical POV on most of this?

In many cases the answer to their questions is what I guess it might
be and I'm even pretty close re how you might fix it (like the
(elderly) mate that phoned earlier to say he's been disconnected from
the Internet on the Linux laptop I sorted out for him and he finally
confirmed he had indeed turned the WiFi off (but with no idea how or
when)).

Often when gong round Mums I have to re-connect her to her WiFi on her
iPad (typically after she has taken it away somewhere) or sign her
back into Skype because she's tried to re-enter the password
(incorrectly) because she's not connected to the Internet etc? ;-(

Cups and string maybe? ;-)

Cheers, T i m



A timely post as our daughter has just given my wife a Doro 6520 as an
early Xmas present. Is that the same model?

My wife and touch-screens do not get on, hence I suggested the Doro
because it seems to be recommended in cases like hers.

So far I am not particularly impressed!
The buttons seem hard to press
setting up the email took a long time, if everything is not quite
right it says "unable to connect to server" and you seem to have to
navigate right out and back in through the menu structure to have
another go. Of course that might be me not RTFM, if the bit of folded
paper in the box counts as a manual.

Just realised that the blessed thing has no wi-fi, so now she has an
email address of her own for the first time, she is dependent on
mobile data, and our daughter is now sending pictures of the grandkids
etc by email at our expense.

I am wondering if the 5 pm giffgaff goody-bag (500MB) will cope? I'm
probably worrying too much.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  #3   Report Post  
Old November 27th 18, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 664
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Mon 26/11/2018 23:50, Graham. wrote:
Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).

However, when she had the iPhone she somehow managed to sign up to
something that was billing her £4.95 a week, so eating though the 30
quid credit we put on there for her (before she mentioned anything).
;-(

Before the iPhone 6 (she briefly had an iPhone 5) she has a Samsung
Galaxy A300 and she seems to think she liked that (took it to Spain as
a camera and for Skype etc) but from memory it was always flat (so I
gave it to my daughter and gave her the iPhone as it had a better
battery life).

So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?

After putting the O2 SIM in Mums old Doro and removing all the bogus
entries from the phonebook and tidying it up in general, I ask her to
phone me on my mobile using the phonebook. She seemed completely
confused by the task and ended up phoning 'Tim <Home icon' because
she didn't seem to be able to determine how the menu cursor system
worked? This seems to be as un intuitive to such people as pressing Ok
to enter something they have selected?

The next step would be to wrote some step by step instructions re how
to use the phone / Phonebook but I guess tat would be just something
else she would carry about (or possibly lose /ignore) and she will
probably carry on just ringing people from her paper phonebook?

Now both Mum and my Mrs otherwise seem to be able to deal with most
other things in life and appear to have their marbles so what is it
about this everyday and pretty mature technology that doesn't seem to
be designed to deal with their inabilities?

I ask because I've been involved with 'tech' most of my life and so
may not have a typical POV on most of this?

In many cases the answer to their questions is what I guess it might
be and I'm even pretty close re how you might fix it (like the
(elderly) mate that phoned earlier to say he's been disconnected from
the Internet on the Linux laptop I sorted out for him and he finally
confirmed he had indeed turned the WiFi off (but with no idea how or
when)).

Often when gong round Mums I have to re-connect her to her WiFi on her
iPad (typically after she has taken it away somewhere) or sign her
back into Skype because she's tried to re-enter the password
(incorrectly) because she's not connected to the Internet etc? ;-(

Cups and string maybe? ;-)

Cheers, T i m



A timely post as our daughter has just given my wife a Doro 6520 as an
early Xmas present. Is that the same model?

My wife and touch-screens do not get on, hence I suggested the Doro
because it seems to be recommended in cases like hers.

So far I am not particularly impressed!
The buttons seem hard to press
setting up the email took a long time, if everything is not quite
right it says "unable to connect to server" and you seem to have to
navigate right out and back in through the menu structure to have
another go. Of course that might be me not RTFM, if the bit of folded
paper in the box counts as a manual.

Just realised that the blessed thing has no wi-fi, so now she has an
email address of her own for the first time, she is dependent on
mobile data, and our daughter is now sending pictures of the grandkids
etc by email at our expense.

I am wondering if the £5 pm giffgaff goody-bag (500MB) will cope? I'm
probably worrying too much.


I've been a GG user for about 5 years and bar recently when we were away
for about 10 days and I was using my phone as a hotspot rather more than
usual I have never used more than about 300Mb per month - certainly for
e-mails, the main use. (This last month was 1.49Gb but as £10 per month
gives me 3Gb it ain't an issue.)

My wife also has issues with touch screens and has the earlier (non-3G)
Doro 612 so this is not new to me. You might consider the Doro smart(er)
phone as it is very simple to use, has hard rather than touch buttons
and has wi-fi. From what I hear for its designed use it works very well.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #4   Report Post  
Old November 27th 18, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2015
Posts: 97
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Mon 26/11/2018 23:50, Graham. wrote:
Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).

However, when she had the iPhone she somehow managed to sign up to
something that was billing her 4.95 a week, so eating though the 30
quid credit we put on there for her (before she mentioned anything).
;-(

Before the iPhone 6 (she briefly had an iPhone 5) she has a Samsung
Galaxy A300 and she seems to think she liked that (took it to Spain as
a camera and for Skype etc) but from memory it was always flat (so I
gave it to my daughter and gave her the iPhone as it had a better
battery life).

So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?

After putting the O2 SIM in Mums old Doro and removing all the bogus
entries from the phonebook and tidying it up in general, I ask her to
phone me on my mobile using the phonebook. She seemed completely
confused by the task and ended up phoning 'Tim <Home icon' because
she didn't seem to be able to determine how the menu cursor system
worked? This seems to be as un intuitive to such people as pressing Ok
to enter something they have selected?

The next step would be to wrote some step by step instructions re how
to use the phone / Phonebook but I guess tat would be just something
else she would carry about (or possibly lose /ignore) and she will
probably carry on just ringing people from her paper phonebook?

Now both Mum and my Mrs otherwise seem to be able to deal with most
other things in life and appear to have their marbles so what is it
about this everyday and pretty mature technology that doesn't seem to
be designed to deal with their inabilities?

I ask because I've been involved with 'tech' most of my life and so
may not have a typical POV on most of this?

In many cases the answer to their questions is what I guess it might
be and I'm even pretty close re how you might fix it (like the
(elderly) mate that phoned earlier to say he's been disconnected from
the Internet on the Linux laptop I sorted out for him and he finally
confirmed he had indeed turned the WiFi off (but with no idea how or
when)).

Often when gong round Mums I have to re-connect her to her WiFi on her
iPad (typically after she has taken it away somewhere) or sign her
back into Skype because she's tried to re-enter the password
(incorrectly) because she's not connected to the Internet etc? ;-(

Cups and string maybe? ;-)

Cheers, T i m



A timely post as our daughter has just given my wife a Doro 6520 as an
early Xmas present. Is that the same model?

My wife and touch-screens do not get on, hence I suggested the Doro
because it seems to be recommended in cases like hers.

So far I am not particularly impressed!
The buttons seem hard to press
setting up the email took a long time, if everything is not quite
right it says "unable to connect to server" and you seem to have to
navigate right out and back in through the menu structure to have
another go. Of course that might be me not RTFM, if the bit of folded
paper in the box counts as a manual.

Just realised that the blessed thing has no wi-fi, so now she has an
email address of her own for the first time, she is dependent on
mobile data, and our daughter is now sending pictures of the grandkids
etc by email at our expense.

I am wondering if the 5 pm giffgaff goody-bag (500MB) will cope? I'm
probably worrying too much.


I've been a GG user for about 5 years and bar recently when we were away
for about 10 days and I was using my phone as a hotspot rather more than
usual I have never used more than about 300Mb per month - certainly for
e-mails, the main use. (This last month was 1.49Gb but as 10 per month
gives me 3Gb it ain't an issue.)

My wife also has issues with touch screens and has the earlier (non-3G)
Doro 612 so this is not new to me. You might consider the Doro smart(er)
phone as it is very simple to use, has hard rather than touch buttons
and has wi-fi. From what I hear for its designed use it works very well.



Thanks for the advice regarding data usage, It's as well that she gets
the use of it, as she has always paid for it (5 Goodybag) but her
previous phone had no data functionality at all.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  #5   Report Post  
Old November 27th 18, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 374
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:50:26 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

<snip

Cups and string maybe? ;-)


A timely post as our daughter has just given my wife a Doro 6520 as an
early Xmas present. Is that the same model?


It is. ;-)

My wife and touch-screens do not get on,


Same here. She can cope when using a prodder but it's not nice to
witness (unless you want to expand your expletives library). ;-)

hence I suggested the Doro
because it seems to be recommended in cases like hers.


Agreed, or the Doros in general etc.

So far I am not particularly impressed!
The buttons seem hard to press


Any button feels 'slow' to me now as I'm a touchscreen man.

setting up the email took a long time,


Not tried that.

if everything is not quite
right it says "unable to connect to server" and you seem to have to
navigate right out and back in through the menu structure to have
another go.


Noted.

Of course that might be me not RTFM, if the bit of folded
paper in the box counts as a manual.


I printed and bound one in A4 for my Mrs as I get very frustrated with
how she handles 'support' these days (she asks a question but doesn't
seem to hear / listen to / understand and so able to apply the answer
/ solution).

Just realised that the blessed thing has no wi-fi,


Oh. I was wondering about that as you said it?

so now she has an
email address of her own for the first time, she is dependent on
mobile data, and our daughter is now sending pictures of the grandkids
etc by email at our expense.


Hmmm.

I am wondering if the 5 pm giffgaff goody-bag (500MB) will cope? I'm
probably worrying too much.


As you say, this is a similar situation to us (both my Wife and my Mum
but for slightly different reasons for each).

The Mrs doesn't work with touch screens and has no interest / use for
any Internet connectivity - social media or email on her phone. What
little she does of that she does on her PC. Having a camera on her
phone was about the only 'extra' feature she might make use of (if she
remembers it's there). She mainly uses it for 'keeping in touch' and
texting.

Mum actually likes to keep in touch using whatever media the younger
members of the family are using so whilst it was Messenger / ICQ /
Skype, it now seems to be mainly Whatsapp. Because she is
hard-of-hearing it's often easier for her to communicate with text
(messengers) than voice. So I'm more likely to get a Skype message
from her from her iPad than a phone call (especially from the mobile
phone).

So, as long as she has a mobile she can get Whatsapp on her iPad and
so I think that's the driver towards the most basic smartphone that
will also do Whatsapp (and still has a reasonably good battery life)?

Cheers, T i m


  #6   Report Post  
Old November 27th 18, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 374
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 08:22:01 +0000, Woody
wrote:

<snip

My wife also has issues with touch screens and has the earlier (non-3G)
Doro 612 so this is not new to me. You might consider the Doro smart(er)
phone as it is very simple to use, has hard rather than touch buttons
and has wi-fi. From what I hear for its designed use it works very well.


For Mum I'm thinking of the Doro Liberto 820 Mini but for the same
sort of money I could probably get her something 'better' (?) s/h and
put it in 'Basic mode'?

https://www.doro.co.uk/doro-liberto-820-mini.html

Cheers, T i m


  #7   Report Post  
Old November 27th 18, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?


Why didn't you port over her number, like you did for your wife? Now she'll
potentially lose contacts and have to remember a new number.

Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).


The bigger issue for older people is the physical size of smartphones. My
mum copes ok with her iPad, but gets frustrated with her Android phone.
Being to tap things accurately and consistently on a small, flat screen is
a challenge for older people. That's why physical buttons are a benefit.


So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?


Why not stick WhatsApp on her iPad and keep her current doro? If there's
one thing my (elderly) mum hates about tech is how it is constantly
changing. I try and keep things as consistent as possible for her.

  #8   Report Post  
Old November 28th 18, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 374
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:29:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

A short while ago I upgraded the Mrs's (67) little Samsung for a Doro
flip and ported her umber from EE to O2 'Classic' PAYG and she's using
the phone a bit more because of the *much* reduced charges. ;-)

Last night I stuck another O2 'Classic' PAYG SIM in Mums (88) std Doro
as her EE credit was run out.

I texted the handful of people in her phonebook with the new number
and got a reply from a couple of the younger people, asking if that
meant she now had Whatsapp?


Why didn't you port over her number, like you did for your wife?


Because it wasn't worth it Chris.

Now she'll
potentially lose contacts and have to remember a new number.


1) I have texted from the new SIM a 'This is my new number' to the 5
people in her phonebook and the Mrs and I are two of them. ;-)

She has never known her mobile number as she only uses it for safety
(although that use could be questionable as it may well be flat or
she's not in a positron to use it even if she wanted to) and most of
the time she's' away from home she's with someone.

On the iPhone 5s, she had a Voda PAYG SIM (because it was locked to
Voda) that had been drained because she inadvertently signed up for
something that cost 4.95/week so we didn't want to port that across.
I think her original T-Mobile PAYG number has probably expired (and
again, she had that when Dad was alive and so if we needed them we
would ring him).


Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).


The bigger issue for older people is the physical size of smartphones. My
mum copes ok with her iPad, but gets frustrated with her Android phone.
Being to tap things accurately and consistently on a small, flat screen is
a challenge for older people. That's why physical buttons are a benefit.


Luckily Mums eyesight is pretty good and she seems to find even a
small touchscreen keyboard more accurate than the physical pushbuttons
and multiple presses to get the letter you want. I was using the 5s
yesterday and found data entry more reliable / accurate on that than
my SG7 with a screen twice the size? ;-(


So, I was wondering if there might be some mileage in getting Mum a
Doro 'smartphone', if it retained some of the features that makes them
good for people needing something 'simple' and would it give her
Whatsapp (to get pictures from the younger members of the family) or
should the iPhone6 be just as 'easy'?


Why not stick WhatsApp on her iPad and keep her current doro?


I thought you needed to have a mobile phone account to do that (and we
have done that in the past).

If there's
one thing my (elderly) mum hates about tech is how it is constantly
changing. I try and keep things as consistent as possible for her.


As do we, however, going back from the iPad to the Doro seems to be
more complicated for her than going to something with a UI she's semi
familiar with.

We were there with Mum last night when she rang my sister using her
house phone (1.7p/m via our 18185 v 3p/ min on her mobile). She first
rummaged about in her bag for her phonebook, even though all the
numbers are in the DECT phones phonebook (a feature Dad used to use
all the time).

So, what seems to be most important to her is to be able to get
Whatsapp because a couple of her grandchildren want to send her
pictures of stuff (that she wants to see) and AFAIK that can only
happen if she has a mobile that can do Whatsapp (even for her than to
access it on her iPad)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I programmed the A and B buttons on her Doro the other day with
our mobile numbers, showed her how you could see what each letter
related to (short press) and explained how you could actually call
that number by holding the letter down till it started dialling. We
rang her whist shopping yesterday to see if she needed anything and
she mentioned she'd tried to call me using the A button (as a test)
and it 'didn't work'. 'Of course' she just hadn't held it down long
enough, as a subsequent test proved ...

Now I'd never had that feature on a phone before and hadn't read any
instruction how to set it up or use it (I found out by experimentation
and from a thought how it might work) but then I'm only 63 and have
been playing with this sort of thing most my life. ;-)
  #9   Report Post  
Old November 28th 18, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 664
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

[snip]
As do we, however, going back from the iPad to the Doro seems to be
more complicated for her than going to something with a UI she's semi
familiar with.

We were there with Mum last night when she rang my sister using her
house phone (1.7p/m via our 18185 v 3p/ min on her mobile). She first
rummaged about in her bag for her phonebook, even though all the
numbers are in the DECT phones phonebook (a feature Dad used to use
all the time).

So, what seems to be most important to her is to be able to get
Whatsapp because a couple of her grandchildren want to send her
pictures of stuff (that she wants to see) and AFAIK that can only
happen if she has a mobile that can do Whatsapp (even for her than to
access it on her iPad)?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I programmed the A and B buttons on her Doro the other day with
our mobile numbers, showed her how you could see what each letter
related to (short press) and explained how you could actually call
that number by holding the letter down till it started dialling. We
rang her whist shopping yesterday to see if she needed anything and
she mentioned she'd tried to call me using the A button (as a test)
and it 'didn't work'. 'Of course' she just hadn't held it down long
enough, as a subsequent test proved ...

Now I'd never had that feature on a phone before and hadn't read any
instruction how to set it up or use it (I found out by experimentation
and from a thought how it might work) but then I'm only 63 and have
been playing with this sort of thing most my life. ;-)


Tim,
You can load WA onto her iPad and use her mobile number where requested.
They will send the activation code by text, then once the code is
entered the iPad will work perfectly well on wi-fi - or it should!


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #10   Report Post  
Old November 28th 18, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default Doro 'Smartphone' or ... (long)?

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:29:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

T i m wrote:



Now, prior to going back to the Doro I'd given he an iPhone 6, based
on the fact that the UI is supposed to be user friendly and that she
might be more familiar with that as she's now on her second iPad? (And
all devices can sync via the iCloud as she has 64G or so on there for
her photos).


The bigger issue for older people is the physical size of smartphones. My
mum copes ok with her iPad, but gets frustrated with her Android phone.
Being to tap things accurately and consistently on a small, flat screen is
a challenge for older people. That's why physical buttons are a benefit.


Luckily Mums eyesight is pretty good and she seems to find even a
small touchscreen keyboard more accurate than the physical pushbuttons
and multiple presses to get the letter you want.


I wasn't meaning eyesight, but manual dexterity to hit the right "button".
I'm glad your mum is fine with that.

I was using the 5s
yesterday and found data entry more reliable / accurate on that than
my SG7 with a screen twice the size? ;-(


Have you tried Swype/swiftkey?

Why not stick WhatsApp on her iPad and keep her current doro?


I thought you needed to have a mobile phone account to do that (and we
have done that in the past).


Nope. Having amobile is simpler but not required. It's a messaging client
that also works on PC/Mac.
https://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-wi...mber-sim-5365/




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DORO Messages: Suddenly Font Is Too Large SB UK Mobile Phones 6 March 4th 18 03:01 PM
Doro 612 - SOS calls only with Giffgaff CJB[_2_] UK Mobile Phones 10 May 7th 16 06:44 PM
Doro 410 charger Woody[_4_] UK Mobile Phones 4 August 17th 14 12:26 PM
Games for Doro 612 CJB[_2_] UK Mobile Phones 1 May 29th 14 05:58 PM
Doro or what else? T i m UK Mobile Phones 50 March 5th 12 04:47 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017