Old December 21st 18, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default 5 Live Science Night - Phishing Attacks

On 21/12/2018 14:47, Chris in Makati wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:48:07 +0000, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

You're clearly not convinced, but don't come crying to us or anyone else
if this happens to you.

I doubt you'll be hearing from me any time soon.

Pride, etc.

So can you cite any actual cases where someone with a working phone
had an SMS intercepted from someone with inside access to a network,
and then had their bank account hijacked as a result with money taken?

*IF* I could find an OT sub-thread which was in one of three or four
likely newsgroups to which I subscribe within the last three or four
years or so, that described exactly how the SMS system works and how
insecure it is - but, despite searching very thoroughly on every
likely search term I can think of, I can't - I could maybe convince
you of just how open and insecure the SMS system is. As it is, as you
won't take anyone's word for it, you'll just have carry on in a state of
disbelief until and if you or someone you know becomes a victim.

Old December 21st 18, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Well indeed - unless he knows how the SMS network works (he doesn't, I
do) it's hard to take him seriously.
Old December 22nd 18, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Never mind if you can't find those threads.

Actually, all I was asking you to do is to cite any cases you're aware
of where someone had penetrated deep into a mobile network,
intercepted an SMS from within the network infrastructure, and then
used that to extract money from someone's bank account.

If it's as serious a threat as you say then there must be plenty of
victims for you to give as examples.

Meanwhile, I'll see how many cases I can find of people being struck
by meteorites and we'll see which is more common.