Old December 17th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Half of UK homes could get faster broadband

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 16:19:03 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
On 15/12/2018 19:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 15 December 2018 16:44:29 UTC, Daniel James wrote:

if we had a 4k TV it might be useful for streaming ...

You don't need it for 4K TV.

You do for some. 'Real Time' encoded UHD BBC streams require 36 Mb/s
for full UHD resolution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...world_cup_2018

And it really was that data rate, I was consuming 16 Gigs/hour for the
World Cup stuff (according to my router logs)

Some fast moving sport video might require more, in which case I would unplug the BT TV and plug in the TV (or get a small switch ~£5).

Netflix UHD (which of course is multipass etc encoded) runs at 12-16 Mb/s

Which will be fine at 19 - 20Mbps. In addition the stream is usually buffered several seconds ahead, so a particularly busy bit will just run down the buffer, but not jerk.

--
Mark

Old December 17th 18, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 11:18, MB wrote:

It has been the case since broadband started to become common.* The
people who want very high speeds for downloading movies, playing games
etc (often having moved to a nice rural area) make the most noise and
want the person downloading a few EMails couple of times a week to
subsidise them.

You ALWAYS come up with this BULL****, and ALWAYS it is shot down. WE
IN THE COUNTRY are subsidising THOSE IN THE TOWN by having a ****-poor
indadequate service at the same price as they get a decent useable service.
Old December 17th 18, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 12:51, Java Jive wrote:
WE IN THE COUNTRY are subsidising THOSE IN THE TOWN by having a
****-poor indadequate service at the same price as they get a decent
useable service.

At the same price to the customer but not to the provider.

Years ago we had quotes several times for a site very near the centre of
town but up a track. The quote was well into five figures and that was
just a PSTN line.

We had another site over three miles from the road up a rough track
(originally no track at all). Our telephone regularly failed because of
lighting and deer. It was replaced by a VHF radio link then a 19 GHz
link. But we paid the standard rate I think. Shows how expensive a
rural line can be to the provider - you won't get Sky, Virgin etc
wanting to provide a service of course.

Old December 17th 18, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 17:51, MB wrote:
On 17/12/2018 12:51, Java Jive wrote:
WE IN THE COUNTRY are subsidising THOSE IN THE TOWN by having a
****-poor indadequate service at the same price as they get a decent
useable service.

At the same price to the customer but not to the provider.

Irrelevant, it's a flate rate provision like the PO.

Years ago we had quotes several times for a site very near the centre of
town but up a track.* The quote was well into five figures and that was
just a PSTN line.

We had another site over three miles from the road up a rough track
(originally no track at all).* Our telephone regularly failed because of
lighting and deer.* It was replaced by a VHF radio link then a 19 GHz
link.* But we paid the standard rate I think.* Shows how expensive a
rural line can be to the provider - you won't get Sky, Virgin etc
wanting to provide a service of course.

Again irrelevant.
Old December 17th 18, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 18:02, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/12/2018 17:51, MB wrote:
[...]

If you wish to force flat rate provision then you have to apply to
telecom companies regardless of where they are based. Otherwise one
company gets all the unprofitable customers whilst others clean up by
undercutting them on the profitable ones.

Old December 17th 18, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 18:41, MB wrote:

On 17/12/2018 18:02, Java Jive wrote:

Again irrelevant.

If you wish to force flat rate provision then you have to apply to
telecom companies regardless of where they are based.* Otherwise one
company gets all the unprofitable customers whilst others clean up by
undercutting them on the profitable ones.

They do not need forcing, they apply it themselves.

Old December 18th 18, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 14:32, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

They won't do that though unless they are incentivised somehow - there
is no profit in the sparsely populated rural exchanges with old wiring.

The simplest fix would be to upgrade 3/4G coverage in the notspots with
antennae optimised to cover a narrow strip of land either side of the
main road. Most rural villages are essentially ribbon developments.

Farms round here have mostly already moved over to peer to peer
microwave links since their business depends on reliable internet and
ADSL was ridiculously unstable and <2Mbps in many of their locations.

Martin Brown
Old December 18th 18, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 15:19, Woody wrote:
On Sat 15/12/2018 13:46, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46552609

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...your-broadband

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband,
less still paying more for it - so where is the demand for Gigabit
FTTP and frankly what use would it be to residential customers?

The annoying thing is that OfCom is taking the stance that people could
get faster speeds for the same or less money. They are therefore only
interested in people who get their broadband down a phone line.

I would like mobile 3/4G included in the mix. They at least stand some
chance of being able to economically cover the bulk of the not-spots.

No one is ever going to upgrade rural phone lines. No money in it.

What they do need to do is make it a legal requirement that people
should be able to select what they want in terms of speed, and here I'm
talking about VM in particular although it will/does apply to landline
broadband as well. Why is it that if you change your contract you can
only ever go UP in speed. I'm on (nominal) 100Mb but we rarely ever use
streaming (we don't have VM TV) so the only benefit of that speed is
downloading enormous Windoze updates! I would be more than happy with
50Mb (the lowest speed VM do now) or even a bit less but they won't let
me go down the scale (and save money in the process of course.)

Really? Research the competitors prices for what you want and tell them
you intend to switch unless they cut you a deal. I bet customer
retention will do you a deal to avoid losing a customer even if the
basic droids will not. I had to go through this with Sky when my mum
died and they tried *incredibly* hard to make me stay on contract!

Otherwise you will have to switch provider to save money each year since
the introductory new customer offers are always better than the inertial
selling loyalty ripoff deals.

At least you have a choice - on rural exchanges we pay extra for less!

Martin Brown
Old December 18th 18, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/12/2018 17:51, MB wrote:
On 17/12/2018 12:51, Java Jive wrote:
WE IN THE COUNTRY are subsidising THOSE IN THE TOWN by having a
****-poor indadequate service at the same price as they get a decent
useable service.

At the same price to the customer but not to the provider.

No. They charge extra for rural exchanges and you are basically stuck
with a choice of BT backhaul or nothing since there are no other
providers with equipment in the exchanges.

Years ago we had quotes several times for a site very near the centre of
town but up a track.* The quote was well into five figures and that was
just a PSTN line.

We had another site over three miles from the road up a rough track
(originally no track at all).* Our telephone regularly failed because of
lighting and deer.* It was replaced by a VHF radio link then a 19 GHz
link.* But we paid the standard rate I think.* Shows how expensive a
rural line can be to the provider - you won't get Sky, Virgin etc
wanting to provide a service of course.

Lack of mains gas is a very good proxy for **** poor internet provision.

Martin Brown
Old December 18th 18, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/12/2018 09:28, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2018 15:19, Woody wrote:
On Sat 15/12/2018 13:46, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46552609

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...your-broadband

I see that I have caused some confusion, not least to myself, by posting
a thread to uk.telecom.broadband with an identical title and an
identical link to this, though I think uk.telecom.broadband was perhaps
the more appropriate group. Apologies for that, but anyway ...

I would like mobile 3/4G included in the mix. They at least stand some
chance of being able to economically cover the bulk of the not-spots.

But at the moment they do not offer deals which are comparable to
landline, at least as far as download limits are concerned.

No one is ever going to upgrade rural phone lines. No money in it.

It's not even a question of upgrading them, at the moment hereabouts
OpenReach are not even adequately maintaining the *existing* infrastructure.

We are engaging with OpenReach Community Fibre Partnerships to see what
would be involved to cover Shinness. There'll be some money from HIE,
but not enough, we're hoping local wind farms might give us something.

I've just finalised the database of interested premises, 51/64 = 80%,
that's how desperate we are!

Otherwise you will have to switch provider to save money each year since
the introductory new customer offers are always better than the inertial
selling loyalty ripoff deals.

Ofcom are considered action on this; in the article linked above ...

"The regulator also announced proposals to force broadband and mobile
firms to tell customers about their best available deal, both when their
deals are coming to an end, and every year after that if they don't
change them.

It also plans to investigate broadband firms' pricing practices to
examine why some customers pay more than others.

It is particularly keen to look at introductory offers that run out. It
estimates that customers who take a landline and broadband service
together are paying an average of 19% more once their discounted deal
has expired."

At least you have a choice - on rural exchanges we pay extra for less!

Exactly.