Old December 18th 18, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Half of UK homes could get faster broadband

On 18/12/2018 09:28, Martin Brown wrote:

No one is ever going to upgrade rural phone lines. No money in it.

Which is why things such as this along with other public services such
as the railways and at the very least rural buses should be in public
ownership.

Old December 19th 18, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/12/2018 14:32, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

They won't do that though unless they are incentivised somehow - there
is no profit in the sparsely populated rural exchanges with old wiring.

There might be now. As well serviced areas aren't interested in upgrading
further that money tree isn't giving anymore. ROI is lower in rural areas,
but might be where the last bit profit can be eked out.

Old December 19th 18, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

They won't do that though unless they are incentivised somehow - there
is no profit in the sparsely populated rural exchanges with old wiring.

There might be now. As well serviced areas aren't interested in upgrading
further that money tree isn't giving anymore. ROI is lower in rural areas,
but might be where the last bit profit can be eked out.

From a purely engineering perspective I don't see how. They are never
going to put new copper in and the existing stuff is so fragile that
they typically break one working circuit for every three they work on.

Smaller towns and larger villages with a sufficiently high concentration
of people might eventually get FTTC but FTTRN is now stone dead AFAICT.

Martin Brown
Old December 19th 18, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

They won't do that though unless they are incentivised somehow - there
is no profit in the sparsely populated rural exchanges with old wiring.

There might be now. As well serviced areas aren't interested in upgrading
further that money tree isn't giving anymore. ROI is lower in rural areas,
but might be where the last bit profit can be eked out.

If taxpayers' money spent on providing faster broadband for half the populace, the other half will
quite rightly complain why should they have to pay for a service they cannot get?
Old December 19th 18, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

They won't do that though unless they are incentivised somehow - there
is no profit in the sparsely populated rural exchanges with old wiring.

There might be now. As well serviced areas aren't interested in upgrading
further that money tree isn't giving anymore. ROI is lower in rural areas,
but might be where the last bit profit can be eked out.

If taxpayers' money spent on providing faster broadband for half the populace, the other half will
quite rightly complain why should they have to pay for a service they cannot get?

But then again, you could say to the entire populace "we're going to pay
the first £500 of the cost of giving you faster broadband", and for
those who live in cities this would cover the entire cost, whereas in
the country in may be 10% or less of that cost.

That's a completely fair system that suddenly sounds very unfair.

Saying that though, my parents neighbours live up a hill in the welsh
borders and they have a full FTTP from the nearest drop that is nearly a
mile away. I live 15 minutes walk from Tower Bridge, and my only option
is FTTC - despite living on a road with "Cable" in the name, there isn't
any.

Old December 19th 18, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/12/2018 09:17, Optimist wrote:
If taxpayers' money spent on providing faster broadband for half the populace, the other half will
quite rightly complain why should they have to pay for a service they cannot get?

And don't want.
Old December 19th 18, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/12/2018 10:57, MB wrote:
On 19/12/2018 09:17, Optimist wrote:
If taxpayers' money spent on providing faster broadband for half the
populace, the other half will
quite rightly complain why should they have to pay for a service they
cannot get?

And don't want.

There is a serious problem here though if government insists that all
sorts of their forms *must* be filled in online then you must have a
minimum universal service quality requirement to facilitate that.

Farm stock movements and company tax returns being obvious examples -
especially since the former involves a lot of data entry, is time
critical and tends to lose all the data entered if the line goes down
which my farming friends tell me is frequently. Most of those that can
get it are now on the faster and much more reliable peer to peer
microwave network. I would be if I had line of site to a node.

Martin Brown
Old December 19th 18, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/12/2018 10:57, MB wrote:
[...]

We might end up going like Finland in rural areas. There landlines are
being discontinued. (In rural areas, I don’t know about cities) Everything
is going radio. Even a rural leased line I use is being discontinued in
favour of a mobile phone provided link. 5G could completely undermine the
economics of rural landlines. It’s probably going to be cheaper to roll out
fixed wireless links than to try to keep the copper network maintained.