Old December 15th 18, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Half of UK homes could get faster broadband

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46552609

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...your-broadband

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband, less still paying more for it - so where is the demand for Gigabit FTTP and frankly what use would it be to residential customers?

Old December 15th 18, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 13:46, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46552609

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...your-broadband

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband, less still paying more for it - so where is the demand for Gigabit FTTP and frankly what use would it be to residential customers?

A friend of mine in San Francisco gets 100/100Mb plus a phone line with
inclusive calls to no less than 60 countries, for $62 a month (£49.25 at
current exchange rates). That's not a lot more (£46.99) than we're
paying on Sky for 40/10 with just UK calls on the phone. Good enough for
us if we could get it, but not much chance at the moment...

Old December 15th 18, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps
Old December 15th 18, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat 15/12/2018 13:46, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46552609

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...your-broadband

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband, less still paying more for it - so where is the demand for Gigabit FTTP and frankly what use would it be to residential customers?

The annoying thing is that OfCom is taking the stance that people could
get faster speeds for the same or less money. They are therefore only
interested in people who get their broadband down a phone line.

What they do need to do is make it a legal requirement that people
should be able to select what they want in terms of speed, and here I'm
talking about VM in particular although it will/does apply to landline
broadband as well. Why is it that if you change your contract you can
only ever go UP in speed. I'm on (nominal) 100Mb but we rarely ever use
streaming (we don't have VM TV) so the only benefit of that speed is
downloading enormous Windoze updates! I would be more than happy with
50Mb (the lowest speed VM do now) or even a bit less but they won't let
me go down the scale (and save money in the process of course.)

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 15th 18, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , R.
Mark Clayton wrote:
Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband,
less still paying more for it ...

Certainly true here. We upgraded from ADSL2+ which was syncing at
around 19Mbit/s to FTTC because SWMBO uses a VNC thingie for work and
is always complaining about the speed.

I said it wouldn't help because her problem was latency and server
response times, and she now agrees.

The result is that we're paying 10 a month more for a system that is
not perceptibly faster for most purposes. It's currently syncing at
73Mbit/s so it is fast for big downloads (but I'm in no hurry) ... and
if we had a 4k TV it might be useful for streaming ...

I'd rather save the money, really.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old December 15th 18, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 15 December 2018 16:44:29 UTC, Daniel James wrote:
In article , R.
Mark Clayton wrote:
Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband,
less still paying more for it ...

Certainly true here. We upgraded from ADSL2+ which was syncing at
around 19Mbit/s to FTTC because SWMBO uses a VNC thingie for work and
is always complaining about the speed.

I said it wouldn't help because her problem was latency and server
response times, and she now agrees.

The result is that we're paying £10 a month more for a system that is
not perceptibly faster for most purposes. It's currently syncing at
73Mbit/s so it is fast for big downloads (but I'm in no hurry) ... and
if we had a 4k TV it might be useful for streaming ...

I'd rather save the money, really.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.

You don't need it for 4K TV. I have just bought one and until the subscription on the BT Sport runs out the only spare port on my router is cabled to that. The TV works fine on RJ45 reporting the same speed (50Mbps) as my PC. On Wi-Fi a wall or two means it only gets 20Mbps, but there is no perceptible difference apart from an approx 1s latency in starting.
Old December 16th 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Seems people aren't actually that bothered about faster broadband

I'm in the half that could get faster, I have 80Mbps FTTC, could get
Virgin FTTP or BT FTTPoD, but really feel there's no need for it.

Same. There is a limit to what people are prepared to spend for "utilities"
and only if there's a real benefit. We only upgraded to 40/10 fibre from
ADSL2+ because the deal ended up being cheaper.

The most notable difference was the *up*load speed.

I'd rather they help the folks getting under 10Mbps

This. Plus readjusting focus on upload as well as download. People like
sending and receiving photos or cloud sync services which benefit massively
from more a symmetric internet connection.

Old December 16th 18, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 19:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 15 December 2018 16:44:29 UTC, Daniel James wrote:

if we had a 4k TV it might be useful for streaming ...

You don't need it for 4K TV.

You do for some. 'Real Time' encoded UHD BBC streams require 36 Mb/s
for full UHD resolution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...world_cup_2018

And it really was that data rate, I was consuming 16 Gigs/hour for the
World Cup stuff (according to my router logs)

Netflix UHD (which of course is multipass etc encoded) runs at 12-16 Mb/s

--
Mark
Old December 17th 18, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 14:23, MissRiaElaine wrote:

A friend of mine in San Francisco gets 100/100Mb plus a phone line with
inclusive calls to no less than 60 countries, for $62 a month (£49.25 at
current exchange rates). That's not a lot more (£46.99) than we're
paying on Sky for 40/10 with just UK calls on the phone. Good enough for
us if we could get it, but not much chance at the moment...

When I got my BT fibre (FTTC) and told a friend in the USA I was getting
about 35Mbs, he said that was three times faster than he got and he is
just outside San Francisco. He is ex-CTO of a major software company
and still a director so knows a bit about computers etc. He left a
computer running for a few weeks uploading all his photographs to the
cloud then took copies to his office and uploaded in a couple of minutes
using a Tbps connection!

Old December 17th 18, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/12/2018 15:19, Woody wrote:
The annoying thing is that OfCom is taking the stance that people could
get faster speeds for the same or less money. They are therefore only
interested in people who get their broadband down a phone line.

What they do need to do is make it a legal requirement that people
should be able to select what they want in terms of speed, and here I'm
talking about VM in particular although it will/does apply to landline
broadband as well. Why is it that if you change your contract you can
only ever go UP in speed. I'm on (nominal) 100Mb but we rarely ever use
streaming (we don't have VM TV) so the only benefit of that speed is
downloading enormous Windoze updates! I would be more than happy with
50Mb (the lowest speed VM do now) or even a bit less but they won't let
me go down the scale (and save money in the process of course.)

It has been the case since broadband started to become common. The
people who want very high speeds for downloading movies, playing games
etc (often having moved to a nice rural area) make the most noise and
want the person downloading a few EMails couple of times a week to
subsidise them.