Old December 20th 18, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Network key problem

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:05:56 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:19:02 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 19/12/2018 09:59, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:38:05 +0000, brightside
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:14:15 +0000, Scott
wrote:

My neighbour is having a problem with her Alcatel phone. It says it
requires a network key. I cannot get a clear account of what has
happened but she has just returned from the Irish Republic where she
tried to do something to activate roaming.

I tried putting in the IMEI but this is not the answer. I tried Mr
Google but I cannot work out whether network key is the same thing as
unlocking. I tried a reset (vol up + power on) but this does not seem
to work. Also, my neighbour seems to have no back-up and does not
want to lose any data.

My neighbour has spoken to the network (Virgin Media) but they were
unable to assist.

Could someone let us know what has happened, what the 'network key' is
or means, how to find it and what my neighbour should do next.

Any help appreciated - especially by my neighbour. Thanks.

This ** may** help.

According to
https://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/alca...es-p-3537.html
you can get the key from GSM liberty.

And one of the questions answered is:
What Alcatel phone models can GSMLiberty unlock? What is the unlocking
process?

Is unlocking the same as entering a network key? She is not
attempting to join another network. She just wants to reconnect to
her existing network (Virgin Mobile). I don't see why unlocking would
be needed to achieve this.

Her simplest option is to take it into a Virgin shop explain the
situation and ask for their help. Chances are they have seen this happen
before and will have acrib sheet for how to sort out the problem.

That is what I did when my mum's ancient Orange phone SIM expired due to
lack of use. Their solution was we can't help (cost effectively) but try
the Poundshop round the corner they still have a few old Orange SIMs.

Ultimately, this turned out to be the solution. She took it to a
Virgin shop who 'emailed my complaint and were sent a secret code'. I
have to say I am none the wiser.

Thanks to everyone.

Did you read the ALL the info on the site of the url I posted. It
specifically tells you what to do if you get the need to enter
"network key"

i.e get a code from GSM Liberty and enter it when you get the enter
network key message. GSM Liberty call it unlocking.

--
brightside S9

Old December 20th 18, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

No, because by that time my neighbour had gone to the Virgin shop, but
thanks for your help. I'll read it anyway.

What I intended to say was that the explanation from my neighbour did
not enlighten me and also if the shop can do it, why were customer
services unable to assist my neighbour in the first place?
Old December 20th 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/12/2018 12:28, Scott wrote:

What I intended to say was that the explanation from my neighbour did
not enlighten me and also if the shop can do it, why were customer
services unable to assist my neighbour in the first place?

Since when has any "Customer Services" desk ever been able to "assist"
anybody with anything..? They exist purely to try and sell you new
"improved" products and "experiences", whatever they are.

Ok, I'm a cynical bitch, but I'm willing to bet I'm right.

Old December 20th 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

PS Just spoken to my neighbour. She says the shop also commented they
could not see why customer services could not have resolved this
earlier. They asked her if she had swapped the SIM. They said there
had been a few instances of this happening and they did not understand
it either. My neighbour thanks everyone for their comments too.
Old December 20th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 12:44:56 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 20/12/2018 12:28, Scott wrote:

What I intended to say was that the explanation from my neighbour did
not enlighten me and also if the shop can do it, why were customer
services unable to assist my neighbour in the first place?

Since when has any "Customer Services" desk ever been able to "assist"
anybody with anything..? They exist purely to try and sell you new
"improved" products and "experiences", whatever they are.

Ok, I'm a cynical bitch, but I'm willing to bet I'm right.

Last time I had a question about the Internet, my ISP was exceedingly
helpful. When I had a problem with my prepaid Euro card, the issuer
was exceedingly helpful I would rate it as closer to 50/50.

Old December 20th 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 12:44:56 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 20/12/2018 12:28, Scott wrote:

What I intended to say was that the explanation from my neighbour did
not enlighten me and also if the shop can do it, why were customer
services unable to assist my neighbour in the first place?

Since when has any "Customer Services" desk ever been able to "assist"
anybody with anything..? They exist purely to try and sell you new
"improved" products and "experiences", whatever they are.

Isn't that true of the shop, too? But they helped.