Old December 18th 18, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Network key problem

My neighbour is having a problem with her Alcatel phone. It says it
requires a network key. I cannot get a clear account of what has
happened but she has just returned from the Irish Republic where she
tried to do something to activate roaming.

I tried putting in the IMEI but this is not the answer. I tried Mr
Google but I cannot work out whether network key is the same thing as
unlocking. I tried a reset (vol up + power on) but this does not seem
to work. Also, my neighbour seems to have no back-up and does not
want to lose any data.

My neighbour has spoken to the network (Virgin Media) but they were
unable to assist.

Could someone let us know what has happened, what the 'network key' is
or means, how to find it and what my neighbour should do next.

Any help appreciated - especially by my neighbour. Thanks.

Old December 18th 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
My neighbour is having a problem with her Alcatel phone. It says it
requires a network key. I cannot get a clear account of what has
happened but she has just returned from the Irish Republic where she
tried to do something to activate roaming.

I tried putting in the IMEI but this is not the answer. I tried Mr
Google but I cannot work out whether network key is the same thing as
unlocking. I tried a reset (vol up + power on) but this does not seem
to work. Also, my neighbour seems to have no back-up and does not
want to lose any data.

My neighbour has spoken to the network (Virgin Media) but they were
unable to assist.

Could someone let us know what has happened, what the 'network key' is
or means, how to find it and what my neighbour should do next.

Any help appreciated - especially by my neighbour. Thanks.

“Network key”is usually to do with connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot. Has she
asked her phone to connect to a hotspot? Can she make calls at present?
Does she have a 2/3/4G connection to a phone network?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 18th 18, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18 Dec 2018 20:28:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, she doesn't really know what she has done. She thought
she was setting up roaming in the Irish Republic.

She cannot make calls. All she gets is an instruction to enter the
network key and a warning that only nine attempts remain.

I don't know if she has connection as the only information shown on
the screen is the foregoing.
Old December 18th 18, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

All she gets is an instruction to enter the
network key and a warning that only nine attempts remain.

Did she swap SIMs when visiting Ireland, has she swapped back?
Old December 18th 18, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:42:07 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

All she gets is an instruction to enter the
network key and a warning that only nine attempts remain.

Did she swap SIMs when visiting Ireland, has she swapped back?

I'll have to ask her tomorrow. I don't think so though, as only one
SIM featured in the conversation.

Old December 19th 18, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:14:15 +0000, Scott
wrote:

My neighbour is having a problem with her Alcatel phone. It says it
requires a network key. I cannot get a clear account of what has
happened but she has just returned from the Irish Republic where she
tried to do something to activate roaming.

I tried putting in the IMEI but this is not the answer. I tried Mr
Google but I cannot work out whether network key is the same thing as
unlocking. I tried a reset (vol up + power on) but this does not seem
to work. Also, my neighbour seems to have no back-up and does not
want to lose any data.

My neighbour has spoken to the network (Virgin Media) but they were
unable to assist.

Could someone let us know what has happened, what the 'network key' is
or means, how to find it and what my neighbour should do next.

Any help appreciated - especially by my neighbour. Thanks.

This ** may** help.

According to
https://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/alca...es-p-3537.html
you can get the key from GSM liberty.

And one of the questions answered is:
What Alcatel phone models can GSMLiberty unlock? What is the unlocking
process?

--
brightside S9
Old December 19th 18, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Is unlocking the same as entering a network key? She is not
attempting to join another network. She just wants to reconnect to
her existing network (Virgin Mobile). I don't see why unlocking would
be needed to achieve this.
Old December 19th 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Is it possible that by "attempting to roam" her IMSI was updated and the
phone believed it had a different SIM present and it was originally
locked to Virgin? In which case it may believe it needs unlocking to
work with the SIM - a simple test would be to get another Virgin SIM and
see if it works.

All these things are plausible (and happen) but it depends on
circumstances whether they apply in your case.
Old December 19th 18, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Her simplest option is to take it into a Virgin shop explain the
situation and ask for their help. Chances are they have seen this happen
before and will have acrib sheet for how to sort out the problem.

That is what I did when my mum's ancient Orange phone SIM expired due to
lack of use. Their solution was we can't help (cost effectively) but try
the Poundshop round the corner they still have a few old Orange SIMs.

Martin Brown
Old December 19th 18, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Ultimately, this turned out to be the solution. She took it to a
Virgin shop who 'emailed my complaint and were sent a secret code'. I
have to say I am none the wiser.

Thanks to everyone.