Old January 1st 19, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default USB-C cables

A year or two ago I bought a Wileyfox mobile which came with a USB-C cable.

The cable is normally used for overnight charging with the phone on a
bedside table. When I wish to connect the phone to my PC in my study I
have to take the cable with me and later return it for overnight charging.

Simple I thought, just buy another cable. That's where I'm confused.
Everyone of them seems to be specific to not only a make but actual
model of phone.

I thought USB cables were all the same? The C has a different plug
shape than the more common, in my household, micro USB. I've lots of
micro USB cables and they work perfectly with any device I connect them to.

Is there no such thing as a 'standard' USB-C cable which will work with
any device which has a USB-C socket?

Malcolm

Old January 1st 19, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 01/01/2019 11:04, Malcolm Loades wrote:
A year or two ago I bought a Wileyfox mobile which came with a USB-C cable.

The cable is normally used for overnight charging with the phone on a
bedside table.* When I wish to connect the phone to my PC in my study I
have to take the cable with me and later return it for overnight charging.

Simple I thought, just buy another cable.* That's where I'm confused.
Everyone of them seems to be specific to not only a make but actual
model of phone.

I thought USB cables were all the same?* The C has a different plug
shape than the more common, in my household, micro USB.* I've lots of
micro USB cables and they work perfectly with any device I connect them to.

Is there no such thing as a 'standard' USB-C cable which will work with
any device which has a USB-C socket?

No, USB-C is just another 'standard' format and should be easily
available. If you have a TKMaxx/Home Sense near you they sell some very
good USBA-USBc cables with a tough braided cover for a fiver or so.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 1st 19, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Micro USB was adopted several years ago as the 'Standard' power inlet for
small devices (e.g. phones). This was compatible with USB2 (up to
480Mbps)

Along came USB3 (up to 5Gbps) and this has more connections, so a new
USB-C connector was adopted as the standard inlet. It is also reversible.

At the computer / charger end USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 (both
for charging and data connection), but the trailing connector is not,
although you can get USB-C to micro USB adaptors (one came with my phone).

The thing to understand is that Type C is a connector standard, not a cable
standard.

You can have a Type C socket which is capable of USB 2, USB 3 Superspeed,
video, audio, Thunderbolt, power, the works. But, when you plug in a cable
to that socket, the cable sets what it can do.

Maybe it only has the USB 2 wires in it, so it's only USB 2 and power (many
phones are like that). Maybe it carries USB 2 and USB 3. Maybe it's got an
HDMI plug on the other end and flips the port into HDMI mode.
Maybe it does 100W power delivery, or maybe it's only 15W.
This is a lot more flexible than what came before, but potentially more
confusing.

I think what's happening is vendors are taking 'USB A to USB C cable with
USB 2 and 3 pins wired, standard 5V/15W power delivery' and calling it
'charging cable for Galaxy S13' when obviously it'll also work on any other
phone that supports some subset of those features.

All major manufacturers stick to the standard, except of course crApple,
who created the incompatible lightning connector to further lock in their
sucker aficionados.

Apple have been one of the primary drivers of USB-C, starting in the 2015
Macbook, and are gradually moving to using it universally (the latest iPads
use it instead of Lightning).

I haven't seen USB-C cables in the pound shop yet, but expect to, although
due to the higher current requirements they might not be a wise buy.

They may well be USB 2 only - fine for charging, less good for fast data
transfer.

Theo
Old January 2nd 19, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

I've got a tablet that charges with a USB C cable, everything else I have takes a micro USB plug.

I bought some tiny adaptors that allow me to charge my USB C tablet with a standard micro USB connector.
Old January 2nd 19, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332247039531?ul_noapp=true

Old January 3rd 19, 07:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Murmansk wrote:
I've got a tablet that charges with a USB C cable, everything else I have
takes a micro USB plug.

I bought some tiny adaptors that allow me to charge my USB C tablet with
a standard micro USB connector.

Dunno about tablets but the main advantage of USB C on my phone is much
more rapid charging when used with the supplied “Dash” charger. You would
lose this advantage if you used a micro USB cable.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old January 3rd 19, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
I've got a tablet that charges with a USB C cable, everything else I have
takes a micro USB plug.

I bought some tiny adaptors that allow me to charge my USB C tablet with
a standard micro USB connector.

Dunno about tablets but the main advantage of USB C on my phone is much
more rapid charging when used with the supplied “Dash” charger. You would
lose this advantage if you used a micro USB cable.

Tim

Batteries are fickle and dangerous.

I am not convinced of the merits of fast charging.

As a rule of thumb, batteries should be charged at 10% of their capacity
per hour.This means 10 hour charging plus 50% for inefficiency.
That is overnight.

I am willing to be corrected but this is only an off-the-cuff comment.

--

Flop

I want to re-marry my ex.
She thinks I am after my money.
Old January 3rd 19, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 10:12, Flop wrote:
On 03/01/2019 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
I've got a tablet that charges with a USB C cable, everything else I
have
takes a micro USB plug.

I bought some tiny adaptors that allow me to charge my USB C tablet with
a standard micro USB connector.

Dunno about tablets but the main advantage of USB C on my phone is much
more rapid charging when used with the supplied “Dash” charger.* You
would
lose this advantage if you used a micro USB cable.

Tim

Batteries are fickle and dangerous.

I am not convinced of the merits of fast charging.

As a rule of thumb, batteries should be charged at 10% of their capacity
per hour.This means 10 hour charging plus 50% for inefficiency.
That is overnight.

I am willing to be corrected but this is only an off-the-cuff comment.

So given all the current major handset providers offer some form of
fast-charging on their handsets which probably equates to 100M+ devices
per annum, with very few safety related incidents (which may or may not
be related to fast charging but I've never heard one described as such)
is not enough proof for you that it's safe and reasonable?
Old January 3rd 19, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dunno about tablets but the main advantage of USB C on my phone is much
more rapid charging when used with the supplied “Dash” charger. You would
lose this advantage if you used a micro USB cable.

Why?

How would the phone or charger even know you were using a micro USB
cable and an adapter?

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old January 3rd 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Brian Gregory wrote:
On 03/01/2019 07:43, Tim+ wrote:
Dunno about tablets but the main advantage of USB C on my phone is much
more rapid charging when used with the supplied “Dash” charger. You would
lose this advantage if you used a micro USB cable.

Why?

How would the phone or charger even know you were using a micro USB
cable and an adapter?

By the various interconnections etc. inside the connectors. Even with
just micro USB there are different 'types' of connector, with USB C
there are even more coding possibilites using signals on the connector
pins.

--
Chris Green
·