Old January 5th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Anything like Three's 3-2-1 PAYG for a 2G phone ?

Roger Mills writes:

On 04/01/2019 11:00, Woody wrote:

There was a response on another thread probably in this group a
couple of days ago from Angus Robertson of Magenta System whence he
gave a fairly detailed listing of who demands what it terms of
keeping a number alive/top-ups etc. It might be worth having a dig to
see if you can find it.

There are two contributions here, one about Pete Forman's superb site
and the other about pythonanywhere web site: they are one and the
same the latter being the latest name for the site.

Other than that, I am on GiffGaff which I find brilliant, but due to
family circumstances I have had to give up my phone to my wife over
the last few weeks and have been using 3-2-1 from 3 on a Samsung
Galaxy S3 that I had lying around. Now I know that the S3 is not the
most sensitive phone on the market (actually its b deaf) but the 3
coverage was poor compared with O2 on which GG runs. Ergo I would
concur with the panel and say go for the O2 Classic PAYG deal as the
most economical. Also, get mother to send you a text on the first of
each month - costs 2p but keeps the SIM alive.

When I first saw this thread I was going to suggest Delight Mobile
which - when I joined it - had rates the same as 3's 3-2-1 *and*
worked on 2G networks. I've only ever used it for emergencies, and
still have over £3 credit left out of the original £5 from yonks ago.

However, I've recently discovered that this has changed to Vectone
Mobile - and has vastly different rates - calls are 12ppm to landlines
and 19ppm to mobiles compared with 3ppm to both, texts cost 19p
compared with 2p and data costs 9p/MB compared with 1p.

I don't recall being notified of this change. Anyone know when it
happened?

June or July last year. According to the current website:
| You don’t need to do a thing. Your mobile number and credit will
| remain the same.
|
| Plus, you’ll still enjoy even better deals, offers and rates with
| Vectone Mobile.

Though how the new rates can be construed as better is questionable ;-)

Do not be surprised if your £3 credit disappears. Their T&C include:
| 12.ii. If any call credit is not used within 90 days, (including any
| credit that has been allocated to you by a Vectone administrator)
| Vectone will place your My Vectone Account on inactive status and you
| will not be entitled to a refund of any remaining credit stored
| thereto.

Delight and Vectone, both brands of Mundio, have attracted a lot of
negative comments. My website does not reflect that as I stick to
objective facts.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com

Old January 5th 19, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 05/01/2019 17:55, Pete Forman wrote:
Roger writes:

When I first saw this thread I was going to suggest Delight Mobile
which - when I joined it - had rates the same as 3's 3-2-1 *and*
worked on 2G networks. I've only ever used it for emergencies, and
still have over £3 credit left out of the original £5 from yonks ago.

However, I've recently discovered that this has changed to Vectone
Mobile - and has vastly different rates - calls are 12ppm to landlines
and 19ppm to mobiles compared with 3ppm to both, texts cost 19p
compared with 2p and data costs 9p/MB compared with 1p.

I don't recall being notified of this change. Anyone know when it
happened?

June or July last year. According to the current website:
| You don’t need to do a thing. Your mobile number and credit will
| remain the same.
|
| Plus, you’ll still enjoy even better deals, offers and rates with
| Vectone Mobile.

Though how the new rates can be construed as better is questionable ;-)

Do not be surprised if your £3 credit disappears. Their T&C include:
| 12.ii. If any call credit is not used within 90 days, (including any
| credit that has been allocated to you by a Vectone administrator)
| Vectone will place your My Vectone Account on inactive status and you
| will not be entitled to a refund of any remaining credit stored
| thereto.

Delight and Vectone, both brands of Mundio, have attracted a lot of
negative comments. My website does not reflect that as I stick to
objective facts.

Thanks. Until a couple of days ago, I hadn't made any calls for yonks -
but it still worked when I made a test call to my landline to see how
much my balance *actually* went down. It was 12p for a call lasting a
few seconds!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 8th 19, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 15:00:00 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 03/01/2019 14:51, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 03/01/2019 13:34, John Kenyon wrote:
On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!
I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Looking at that page, https://www.1pmobile.com looks interesting, only
1p/min, 1p/text, 1p/MB data. Anyone have any experience of them..? Runs
on EE and claims 2G upwards capability.

Scratch that, looking deeper you have to top up regularly to keep the
account active, 120 days for a 10 quid topup, so no good for a
hardly-ever-use phone.

So if you need 2G then it looks like O2.

Port to O2 Classic PAYG has just taken place. I took great pleasure
in cutting up the expensive telco's SIM :-)

Thanks to everyone for advice, and Pete Forman for his web site.