Old January 3rd 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Anything like Three's 3-2-1 PAYG for a 2G phone ?

About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!
I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

Old January 3rd 19, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!
I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Old January 3rd 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 13:34, John Kenyon wrote:
On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!
I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Looking at that page, https://www.1pmobile.com looks interesting, only
1p/min, 1p/text, 1p/MB data. Anyone have any experience of them..? Runs
on EE and claims 2G upwards capability.

Old January 3rd 19, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 14:51, MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

Scratch that, looking deeper you have to top up regularly to keep the
account active, 120 days for a 10 quid topup, so no good for a
hardly-ever-use phone.

So if you need 2G then it looks like O2.

Old January 3rd 19, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 13:34:18 +0000, John Kenyon wrote:

On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!
I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Brilliant! Thank you.

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Indeed.

Old January 3rd 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/01/2019 13:34, John Kenyon wrote:
On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!

If the silly PAYG tariff lasts for 12 years I wouldn't bother changing
it - just add a £10 top up and forget about it for another decade.
(making a small chargeable call every three months)

I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Be a little careful though - you may well find that such an old 2G phone
is network locked and so your choice is severely limited unless you want
to double its value by having it unlocked.

I ran into this problem with my mum's phone after I forgot to make the
statutory 3 monthly call and had to find it a new Orange SIM in the post
Orange (taken over by EE) era. EE salesman told me to look in Poundland
since they still had a few stale Orange SIMs at the checkout.

Martin Brown
Old January 3rd 19, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 14:51:13 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I used them on a 2G phone. Now use sim in a 3g phone.
Competely trouble free. Go to their web site for further details. Just
remember that you need to top up with 10 at least every 4 months, or
before if you have run out of credits.
--
brightside S9
Old January 3rd 19, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 15:41:25 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 03/01/2019 13:34, John Kenyon wrote:
On 03/01/2019 13:06, Andrew Benham wrote:
About 12 years ago I bought my mother a mobile phone, which is 2G.
She's hardly ever used it - but it /might/ have been declared as
her mobile number with banks/building societies - so I need to
keep the number active, just in case.
It's on a silly PAYG tariff, and the initial credit is almost gone
(not bad for 12 years, I guess) - essentially used the credit for
making 1 call every 3 months!

If the silly PAYG tariff lasts for 12 years I wouldn't bother changing
it - just add a £10 top up and forget about it for another decade.
(making a small chargeable call every three months)

A possibility. I could top-up on the existing silly tariff by £5.
But the O2 Classic PAYG looks like it'll give me £5 credit for
registering the SIM that I've just ordered. And I've got my PAC
from the existing service provider. Ready to switch!

I would normally port numbers like this to Three's 3-2-1, but it's
only a 2G phone. Is there a similar PAYG tariff for non-3G phones ?

First port of call for PAYG tariffs: https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/

Looks like "o2 Classic PAYG" is the one to try.

Be a little careful though - you may well find that such an old 2G phone
is network locked and so your choice is severely limited unless you want
to double its value by having it unlocked.

I unlocked it years ago. Good point though.

Old January 4th 19, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

There was a response on another thread probably in this group a couple
of days ago from Angus Robertson of Magenta System whence he gave a
fairly detailed listing of who demands what it terms of keeping a number
alive/top-ups etc. It might be worth having a dig to see if you can find it.

There are two contributions here, one about Pete Forman's superb site
and the other about pythonanywhere web site: they are one and the same
the latter being the latest name for the site.

Other than that, I am on GiffGaff which I find brilliant, but due to
family circumstances I have had to give up my phone to my wife over the
last few weeks and have been using 3-2-1 from 3 on a Samsung Galaxy S3
that I had lying around. Now I know that the S3 is not the most
sensitive phone on the market (actually its b deaf) but the 3 coverage
was poor compared with O2 on which GG runs. Ergo I would concur with the
panel and say go for the O2 Classic PAYG deal as the most economical.
Also, get mother to send you a text on the first of each month - costs
2p but keeps the SIM alive.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 4th 19, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/01/2019 11:00, Woody wrote:

[...]

When I first saw this thread I was going to suggest Delight Mobile which
- when I joined it - had rates the same as 3's 3-2-1 *and* worked on 2G
networks. I've only ever used it for emergencies, and still have over £3
credit left out of the original £5 from yonks ago.

However, I've recently discovered that this has changed to Vectone
Mobile - and has vastly different rates - calls are 12ppm to landlines
and 19ppm to mobiles compared with 3ppm to both, texts cost 19p compared
with 2p and data costs 9p/MB compared with 1p.

I don't recall being notified of this change. Anyone know when it happened?
--
Cheers,
Roger