Old January 6th 19, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Faster battery drain when roaming?

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so do they have a convincing technical
explanation? I have no quantitative measurements, but my iPhone seems to
drain its battery faster when roaming in Europe. Now, you might postulate
that the radio is working harder when out and about, looking for base
stations, but the same is true when out and about in the UK. The only
difference is that it is limited to the home network. A few years ago when
David Cameron was trying to push the idea of national roaming the networks
raised the objection that phone batteries would drain faster. At the time I
assumed this was FUD being deployed because they didn’t want to do it. But
maybe there is a genuine technical reason?

Old January 6th 19, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/01/2019 10:26, Tweed wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this, and if so do they have a convincing technical
explanation? I have no quantitative measurements, but my iPhone seems to
drain its battery faster when roaming in Europe. Now, you might postulate
that the radio is working harder when out and about, looking for base
stations, but the same is true when out and about in the UK. The only
difference is that it is limited to the home network. A few years ago when
David Cameron was trying to push the idea of national roaming the networks
raised the objection that phone batteries would drain faster. At the time I
assumed this was FUD being deployed because they didn’t want to do it. But
maybe there is a genuine technical reason?

Yes - if your phone can see more cell sites then it's going to try and
attach to the strongest one more often. If those cell sites aren't in
the same "area" (which they won't be for different networks - so
national roaming or abroad where you can attach to any of the networks)
then the attach sequence involves re-authentication and going back to
the home network for a profile etc.
Old January 6th 19, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

Does it still try for the strongest even if it not one of the preferred
roaming partners? Nowadays SIMs try to attach you to the preferred partner.
I would have thought this stickiness to the preferred partner would make
the phone behave much as it does at home. However, I have little real
understanding of how all this really works.

Old January 6th 19, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/01/2019 12:01, Tweed wrote:
Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

There are effectively 3 lists of networks stored in the SIM - preferred,
don't mind and banned with the first and last being actual lists (and
the third inferred by non-inclusion in the others). In the UK all the
other networks are set up as banned on the SIM so it never tries to
attach - this is presumably done for a reason...
Old January 6th 19, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

Er, what about those sites in places like the NW of Scotland where
limited UK roaming is applied automatically?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 6th 19, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/6/2019 10:16 AM, Woody wrote:
On Sun 06/01/2019 14:42, Someone Somewhere wrote:
There are effectively 3 lists of networks stored in the SIM -
preferred, don't mind and banned with the first and last being actual
lists (and the third inferred by non-inclusion in the others).* In the
UK all the other networks are set up as banned on the SIM so it never
tries to attach - this is presumably done for a reason...

Er, what about those sites in places like the NW of Scotland where
limited UK roaming is applied automatically?

Really?
Whereabouts in the NW? I haven't noticed that around the Kyle of Tongue.

Old January 6th 19, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

Well, do a network search on your phone and you'll see that all the
other UK networks are shown as disallowed or barred.
Old January 6th 19, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

Only 999 calls and maybe '3'.
Old January 6th 19, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06/01/2019 16:30, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/6/2019 10:16 AM, Woody wrote:
On Sun 06/01/2019 14:42, Someone Somewhere wrote:
There are effectively 3 lists of networks stored in the SIM -
preferred, don't mind and banned with the first and last being actual
lists (and the third inferred by non-inclusion in the others).* In
the UK all the other networks are set up as banned on the SIM so it
never tries to attach - this is presumably done for a reason...

Er, what about those sites in places like the NW of Scotland where
limited UK roaming is applied automatically?

Really?
Whereabouts in the NW? I haven't noticed that around the Kyle of Tongue.

I was wondering also. I think there was talk about it a few years ago
but I did not think it got any further.

I would think it is not too difficult to set up so a phone will register
on any network to make an urgent call. But then having handover between
cells on a different network and receiving calls from your own network,
might be more complex. When does the phone decide to go back to its own
network?

Old January 6th 19, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/6/2019 1:47 PM, MB wrote:
On 06/01/2019 16:30, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/6/2019 10:16 AM, Woody wrote:
Er, what about those sites in places like the NW of Scotland where
limited UK roaming is applied automatically?

Really?
Whereabouts in the NW? I haven't noticed that around the Kyle of Tongue.

I was wondering also.* I think there was talk about it a few years ago
but I did not think it got any further.

I would think it is not too difficult to set up so a phone will register
on any network to make an urgent call.* But then having handover between
cells on a different network and receiving calls from your own network,
might be more complex.* When does the phone decide to go back to its own
network?

I've sometimes seen my phone show 'emergency calls only' when I can't
get a signal on any of my phones. Fortunately, I've not needed to make
an emergency call, so don't know whether it really works.