Old January 11th 19, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On 10/01/2019 16:32, Scott wrote:
Me too, for audio quality. Except that the other party is often on a
cordless phone and because s/he can hear me clearly makes no effort to
speak directly into the mouthpiece.

Listening to Popmaster on Radio 2, they regularly have a really poor
connection to callers on mobile phones and have to call beck when
usually it will be quite clear.

Old January 11th 19, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:17:19 +0000, MB wrote:

On 10/01/2019 11:59, tim... wrote:
did you miss the technological step when (free) voice mail became
available on landlines?

I prefer a TAM on landline.

If I am in the house then I can hear the message being recorded and pick
up the phone if I want to.

That's exactly the message I have "Please announce who you are, if we
are in we will pick up, otherwise leave a message"

--
AnthonyL
Old January 11th 19, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 07:19, Chronos wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:14:55 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

cheques

Lordy! Do they still do wire transfers by telegraph, too?

Seriously, most joint account holders have their own debit cards,
telephone, online banking credentials and so on. Cheques are a very
minor part of the consumer's banking experience.

The last thing I want from a bank is an "experience" thanks all the
same, I've just had one of those and it wasn't pleasant.

Old January 11th 19, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 08:00, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:00, tim... wrote:

If I could do away with my landline now, I would.

it;s not compulsory

you can opt out

Can I ? I'm still forced to pay line rental for my Plusnet FTTC service ?

That's because you're renting the *line* not just what it's used for.

Old January 11th 19, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 10:35, MB wrote:
On 10/01/2019 16:32, Scott wrote:
Me too, for audio quality.* Except that the other party is often on a
cordless phone and because s/he can hear me clearly makes no effort to
speak directly into the mouthpiece.

Listening to Popmaster on Radio 2, they regularly have a really poor
connection to callers on mobile phones and have to call beck when
usually it will be quite clear.

It was a dreadful connection to the 2nd contestant yesterday, I've not
heard it quite that bad before.

Old January 11th 19, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

ronos.org.uk...
"tim..." wrote:

cheques

Lordy! Do they still do wire transfers by telegraph, too?

Seriously, most joint account holders have their own debit cards,

but don't they both have the same number?

Old January 11th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:00, tim... wrote:

If I could do away with my landline now, I would.

it;s not compulsory

you can opt out

Can I ?

yep

as it's a free service it saves you nothing, but you can ask for it to be
turned off

I'm still forced to pay line rental for my Plusnet FTTC service ?

and the relevance is?

As FTTC isn't the base option you must have selected it for some reason

tim

Old January 11th 19, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"MB" wrote in message ...
On 10/01/2019 12:26, tim... wrote:
IME NHS hasn't yet left the mode of "we send letters because we have to"

even when they make call/send texts as well

When I have my six monthly blood tests, I am uninterested in the result
unless it is adverse. At which point the practice send me a letter
telling me to make a appointment to discuss an urgent (FSVO) matter.

they could just as easily send me a text or an email. And they could let
me access my results from their online portal

none of which they seem capable of doing

In other businesses, I suspect a QA audit would probably require
notification in some form whether positive or negative result.

As I say, I have no interest in a negative result

I am not going to make an appointment each half year just to be told no
change. It wastes my time, it wastes the doctors time.

In all of my dealings with NHS they seem unwilling to send out results by
post. You have to have them read to you by a doctor, sometimes by a
flipping hospital doctor.

YMMV

I have mentioned before I did not receive a letter about a hospital
appointment, the letters ask to ring to confirm but if you do not call
them then they presume you can attend.

On one occasion I got the "your appointment is next week" text also asking
me to reply to confirm attendance

I'm sorry Mr NHS, but this is stupid. I spend so long on the waiting list
to get the appointment in the first place I don't think that it's sensible
to cancel it if, for some reason, I didn't get the text, or failed to fully
understand the instructions.

I suspect that I wasn't the only person who feels this way, so they haven't
done it again

That would probably fail a QA Audit anywhere else.

There is more at stake with medical appointments than most other activities.
To err on the side of caution for no response, seems the most appropriate
thing to do

tim

Old January 11th 19, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri 11/01/2019 19:33, tim... wrote:

"MB" wrote in message ...
On 10/01/2019 12:26, tim... wrote:
[...]

My wife had a series of hospital appointments at 6-weekly intervals.
They sent her one appointment at tens weeks because of staff holidays
right in the middle of when we were due to be away for four weeks
caravanning in Europe. She rang the hospital and was told that they
could see an appointment available just after we came back but because
they were not allowed to make appointments more than six weeks ahead if
she did not attend she would be put back on the waiting list and so she
was. I said she should write a letter of complaint to the CEO but she
declined. When she started the treatment sequence again six months later
the nurse practitioner was livid about it. The following day we got a
call from the woman in charge of appointments for the whole of Obs and
Gyne who took it up at senior management level. My wife now gets
appointments when she wants them, not when it suits a medical records clerk!

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 11th 19, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 19:20, tim... wrote:

ronos.org.uk...
"tim..." wrote:

cheques

Lordy! Do they still do wire transfers by telegraph, too?

Seriously, most joint account holders have their own debit cards,

but don't they both have the same number?

Same account number yes, but not the same card number.