Old January 12th 19, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 05:23:38 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 19:20:23 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

Your assertion made me look at my wife's and my joint CC cards, The 16
numbers are identical on one company's two cards, though on another's
they are not.

--
brightside S9

Old January 12th 19, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

ronos.org.uk...
"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number?

they wouldn't

why do they need to?

Old January 12th 19, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.
However our HSBC Visa cards are quite different. Both Nationwide and
HSBC cards are associated with standard joint accounts.

--
Chris Green
·
Old January 13th 19, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.
However our HSBC Visa cards are quite different. Both Nationwide and
HSBC cards are associated with standard joint accounts.

--
Chris Green
·

HSBC approach seems sensible to me. If one card is lost / stolen the holder of the other might be arrested if s/he used it unwittingly somewhere.
Old January 13th 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.
However our HSBC Visa cards are quite different. Both Nationwide and
HSBC cards are associated with standard joint accounts.

--
Chris Green
·

HSBC approach seems sensible to me. If one card is lost / stolen the
holder of the other might be arrested if s/he used it unwittingly somewhere.

Why? The name of the card holder is always linked with a transaction.

Old January 13th 19, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

It may be printed on the card (so there's no risk of arrest), but is it data
that is read by the system in order to determine if it is the card that has
been blocked.

(I really have no idea)

tim

Old January 13th 19, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/01/2019 19:34, tim... wrote:

It may be printed on the card (so there's no risk of arrest), but is it
data that is read by the system in order to determine if it is the card
that has been blocked.

(I really have no idea)

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that there is some form of
card serial number stored in it somewhere that the user might not see as
such but is transmitted along with the rest of the data as a possible
check of a cloned card..? That's the way I'd do it, anyway.

The two cards we have on our joint account are totally different apart
from the actual account number. Main 16-digit number and security number
on the back are different for each.

Old January 13th 19, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

I'm simply going by the fact that all online transactions require the
cardholder's name.

Old January 14th 19, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.
However our HSBC Visa cards are quite different. Both Nationwide and
HSBC cards are associated with standard joint accounts.

--
Chris Green
·

HSBC approach seems sensible to me. If one card is lost / stolen the
holder of the other might be arrested if s/he used it unwittingly somewhere.

Why? The name of the card holder is always linked with a transaction.

Really? In the case above, given the cards are, if you report one lost / stolen, both would ergo be blocked, so how would the system know which were being used in a transaction?
Old January 14th 19, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.

Ditto. Going further off-topic be careful if you tell Nationwide
Credit cards you are going abroad. They appear to block any UK
transactions for the period even if they are transactions that you've
made before, in my case paying my power provider and a dial through
phone company. Of course they take my security seriously, but some
other organisations don't even want you to tell them you're going
abroad as they have "sophisticated fraud detection systems",
Nationwide simply seem to have "overseas = ok, therefore UK must be
fraud"

--
AnthonyL