Old January 14th 19, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:07:52 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:47:02 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Chronos wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 19:20:23 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

but don't they both have the same number?

Absolutely not! How would Visa, Mastercard et al track the buying
habits and location of two people with the same card number? Do use
your loaf.

It varies, we have a number of Visa cards (husband and wife). Our
Nationwide Visa cards are identical apart from the name on the card,
even the security number on the back is the same for both of us.

Ditto. Going further off-topic be careful if you tell Nationwide
Credit cards you are going abroad. They appear to block any UK
transactions for the period even if they are transactions that you've
made before, in my case paying my power provider and a dial through
phone company. Of course they take my security seriously, but some
other organisations don't even want you to tell them you're going
abroad as they have "sophisticated fraud detection systems",
Nationwide simply seem to have "overseas = ok, therefore UK must be
fraud"

That's odd because Nationwide specifically tell you not to inform them
before going overseas. From their web site:

"Don't call us to say you're going abroad

There's no need - our fraud detection systems keep an eye on your
accounts while you’re overseas, just like they do in the UK. If we
spot a transaction we’re unsure about, we'll call or text you
straightaway."

Old January 15th 19, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

good luck with that plan if you're on holiday in Turkmenistan

tim

Old January 15th 19, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

Indeed, then proceed to still offer you the option. I dont want them
calling my mobile to check whilst I'm away - for one thing it is
expensive to receive a call unless operating on a local Sim, and still
I have an expectation that their fraud detection system would
recognise regularly made transactions as being valid.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 15th 19, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:25:13 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

It's not my plan, it's theirs.

I would assume that since Nationwide tell you not to call them any
more, they're probably phasing out the procedure they have in place
for accepting such travel information.

Old January 15th 19, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

People go on holiday to Turkmenistan?!

Anyway, with many years of usage of my nationwide card abroad I've had no
issues. I've been to Europe, Asia, North Africa and North America with it.
Initially I informed them of my travel, and now, since their change in
policy, I don't.

Old January 17th 19, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote:

[...]

from the UK less than 500 per year :-)