Old January 7th 19, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

tim... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 06/01/2019 18:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/landline-...nfold-11599229

Why might that be?

Could it be most mobiles plans have lots of inclusive minutes these days?

Yes, that's the reason in this house, (We make no landline calls now, the
only incomers are from scammers) Plus on mobiles; Skype to Skype,
or Whatsapp to Whatsapp, or for iphone folk Facetime. All free, and video
too.

even if you don't have inclusive minutes mobile calls are cheaper than LL

8ppm on my mobile, 23p connection plus 10ppm on my LL

As opposed to 3p/min on my PAYG mobile and 0p for up to an hour on my
landline (OK, I am paying something per month for 'free' calls).
Where on earth are you buying your phone services?

--
Chris Green
·

Old January 7th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/01/2019 15:55, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 09:31, Chris Green wrote:

I use 3's 1-2-3 plan PAYGO on my mobile but make calls from home using
the land line, for me it's cheaper that way round.* The alternative
would be to get a monthly plan for my mobile (with inclusive calls)
and discontinue the land line inclusive calls.

We thought about doing that, but the cheapest mobile plan we could
find would cost us a couple of quid a month more for the two of us
than the landline inclusive minutes.

either you get a very good LL deal (can I have it please) or you didn't
look hard enough

We're on Sky and get inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobiles for £8
a month on top of the line rental.

That's pretty typical of landline deals I think. Do mobile users
*really* believe their calls are cheaper?

--
Chris Green
·
Old January 7th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:08:56 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 16:49, Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/01/2019 15:54, tim... wrote:

I prefer to use my LL.

I don't, I specify my only means of contact as my mobile now, no need
then to worry about staying in to catch calls etc

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

I'd agree with that. I normally find incoming calls on my mobile while
I'm out and about quite intrusive. I'd prefer to receive a text
message and call back when it's more convenient.
Old January 7th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon 07/01/2019 17:36, Chris Green wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 06/01/2019 18:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/landline-...nfold-11599229

Why might that be?

Could it be most mobiles plans have lots of inclusive minutes these days?

Yes, that's the reason in this house, (We make no landline calls now, the
only incomers are from scammers) Plus on mobiles; Skype to Skype,
or Whatsapp to Whatsapp, or for iphone folk Facetime. All free, and video
too.

even if you don't have inclusive minutes mobile calls are cheaper than LL

8ppm on my mobile, 23p connection plus 10ppm on my LL

As opposed to 3p/min on my PAYG mobile and 0p for up to an hour on my
landline (OK, I am paying something per month for 'free' calls).
Where on earth are you buying your phone services?

+1

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 7th 19, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 16:04, Scott wrote:
unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire. I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in). I just don't phone him any more. I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

My BT8500 does that but I have friends' number stored in it so they
bypass the request to identify. If someone has their number withheld, i
tell them to release it.

NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

Old January 7th 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 19:49:18 +0000, MB wrote:

On 07/01/2019 16:04, Scott wrote:
unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire. I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in). I just don't phone him any more. I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

My BT8500 does that but I have friends' number stored in it so they
bypass the request to identify. If someone has their number withheld, i
tell them to release it.

Mine is not withheld. More likely my mate has not bothered to read
the instructions.

NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

My previous employer did this too. We displayed the number for the
national enquiry point rather than the employee's personal extension.
I made the mistake of giving my number to a particularly difficult
individual and became the single point of contact for the office.
Old January 7th 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 15:54, tim... wrote:

I prefer to use my LL.

I don't, I specify my only means of contact as my mobile now, no need
then to worry about staying in to catch calls etc

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main
street. I prefer to make the calls at home where is it quiet and I get
a perfect connection that does not break up.

Old January 7th 19, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 15:54, tim... wrote:

I prefer to use my LL.

I don't, I specify my only means of contact as my mobile now, no need
then to worry about staying in to catch calls etc

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

I'd agree with that. I normally find incoming calls on my mobile while
I'm out and about quite intrusive. I'd prefer to receive a text
message and call back when it's more convenient.

+0.5

No casual calls but specific contacts, such as 'Your car is ready' or
Do you want us to do x?' are entirely appropriate.
Old January 7th 19, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:57:42 +0000, tim... wrote:

I understand some people have a policy of not answering the landline
phone. I believe my neighbour is one such.

when 90% are scamsters trying to con me, I do likewise

unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

Our system handles a blacklist and a (nasty) greylist.

For those who withhold called ID, they get a menu. The fourth item on
that is 'put me through now'.

GP and hospital are quite happy with this, and they weren't warned.