Old January 7th 19, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On 07/01/2019 17:37, Chris Green wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/01/2019 15:55, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 09:31, Chris Green wrote:

I use 3's 1-2-3 plan PAYGO on my mobile but make calls from home using
the land line, for me it's cheaper that way round.* The alternative
would be to get a monthly plan for my mobile (with inclusive calls)
and discontinue the land line inclusive calls.

We thought about doing that, but the cheapest mobile plan we could
find would cost us a couple of quid a month more for the two of us
than the landline inclusive minutes.

either you get a very good LL deal (can I have it please) or you didn't
look hard enough

We're on Sky and get inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobiles for £8
a month on top of the line rental.

That's pretty typical of landline deals I think. Do mobile users
*really* believe their calls are cheaper?

Given that the landline is essential for broadband (no cable in the
street here and no prospect of either it or FTTP in the immediate or
even long term future) then it seems sensible to use it. The cheapest
mobile contract I could find was a fiver a month, so for two of us
that's a tenner.

The difference between £8 and £10 a month may be insignificant to many
people, but for those of us on low incomes it mounts up.

Old January 7th 19, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:56, Scott wrote:

No casual calls but specific contacts, such as 'Your car is ready' or
Do you want us to do x?' are entirely appropriate.

In which case you give them the mobile number and tell them to use it
for that specific purpose only. All other calls to the landline please.

Old January 7th 19, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/7/2019 2:49 PM, MB wrote:
On 07/01/2019 16:04, Scott wrote:
unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire.* I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in).* I just don't phone him any more.* I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

My BT8500 does that but I have friends' number stored in it so they
bypass the request to identify.* If someone has their number withheld, i
tell them to release it.

NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

I ignored a call from that number - no caller name, no message was left,
but I was curious, looked it up, and found I'd been called about an
appointment.
Old January 7th 19, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:56, Scott wrote:
No casual calls but specific contacts, such as 'Your car is ready' or
Do you want us to do x?' are entirely appropriate.

The problem is that when someone companies get hold of your mobile
number they use it for everything so can find yourself getting
"reminder" calls.

The bank is bad, they got my mobile number when I tried mobile banking
and started sending text messages for trivial things. There was no way
to set it so that only used for urgent calls so I ordered them to
remember all references to the mobile number from their records.

Old January 8th 19, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 17:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

Then ignore the call, and let it go to voicemail (which I often do)
It's not mandatory to answer a phone call (or doorbells, something else
I often ignore if it's not convenient etc)

--
Mark

Old January 8th 19, 07:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main
street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

--
Mark
Old January 8th 19, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:40:48 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/7/2019 2:49 PM, MB wrote:
On 07/01/2019 16:04, Scott wrote:
unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire.* I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in).* I just don't phone him any more.* I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

My BT8500 does that but I have friends' number stored in it so they
bypass the request to identify.* If someone has their number withheld, i
tell them to release it.

NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

I ignored a call from that number - no caller name, no message was left,
but I was curious, looked it up, and found I'd been called about an
appointment.

Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls. I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable. A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.
Old January 8th 19, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:20:04 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 19:56, Scott wrote:

No casual calls but specific contacts, such as 'Your car is ready' or
Do you want us to do x?' are entirely appropriate.

In which case you give them the mobile number and tell them to use it
for that specific purpose only. All other calls to the landline please.

Broadly agree. All I am saying is the mobile has its uses.
Old January 8th 19, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 08:02:54 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 17:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

Then ignore the call, and let it go to voicemail (which I often do)
It's not mandatory to answer a phone call (or doorbells, something else
I often ignore if it's not convenient etc)

I'd be very nervous about that. What if it's my neighbour to tell me
about a fire or a flood (or even to offer me a bowl of soup!)?
Old January 8th 19, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 07/01/2019 17:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Exactly the opposite for me. I prefer NOT to get called while I'm out.
If I'm not at home I tend to be doing something specific such as
shopping or visiting the dentist etc. and getting called in the middle
of either is a pain (in the case of the dentist possibly literally).

Then ignore the call, and let it go to voicemail (which I often do)
It's not mandatory to answer a phone call (or doorbells, something else
I often ignore if it's not convenient etc)

I'd be very nervous about that. What if it's my neighbour to tell me
about a fire or a flood (or even to offer me a bowl of soup!)?

If it's that important, they can chuck a brick through my window to grab
my attention.

--
Mark