Old January 8th 19, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On Tue 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware. Not every husband/wife tells the other everything about their
state of health. Its all to do with privacy - in the same way that the
bank will not talk to me about my wife's transactions on our joint account.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 8th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 8 January 2019 08:56:32 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:40:48 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/7/2019 2:49 PM, MB wrote:
On 07/01/2019 16:04, Scott wrote:
unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire.* I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in).* I just don't phone him any more.* I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

My BT8500 does that but I have friends' number stored in it so they
bypass the request to identify.* If someone has their number withheld, i
tell them to release it.

NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

I ignored a call from that number - no caller name, no message was left,
but I was curious, looked it up, and found I'd been called about an
appointment.

Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls. I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable. A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.

There is still reverse search: -

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

I can remember the more common ones and there was of course a limited amount of administrators' logic in the original codes, which were alphabetically based: -

Director exchanges

01 London
but then
021 Birmingham
031 Edinburgh
041 Glasgow
051 Liverpool
061 Manchester

have a look at your telephone and which letter appears for 2 - 6.

Other codes had some alpha as well: -

0532 - Leeds
0632 - Nottingham
0732 - Reading
0942 - Wigan

and so on

In big cities exchange names where sometimes converted into numbers so in Manchester CENtral became 236, however most of the local numbers were allocated on a more logical geographic basis.
Old January 8th 19, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware. Not every husband/wife tells the other everything about their
state of health. Its all to do with privacy - in the same way that the
bank will not talk to me about my wife's transactions on our joint account.

Is the bank correct about this? Surely if it is a joint account both
account holders have equal rights? The bank can talk to any 'account
holder'. I'm meeting someone from Europe's largest credit card issuer
on Saturday so will ask.
Old January 8th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

[...]

Its all about privacy again. They tend to treat the signatories of a
joint account as individuals and will thus not cross-pass information.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 8th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:37:06 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/01/2019 15:55, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 09:31, Chris Green wrote:

I use 3's 1-2-3 plan PAYGO on my mobile but make calls from home using
the land line, for me it's cheaper that way round.* The alternative
would be to get a monthly plan for my mobile (with inclusive calls)
and discontinue the land line inclusive calls.

We thought about doing that, but the cheapest mobile plan we could
find would cost us a couple of quid a month more for the two of us
than the landline inclusive minutes.

either you get a very good LL deal (can I have it please) or you didn't
look hard enough

We're on Sky and get inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobiles for £8
a month on top of the line rental.

That's pretty typical of landline deals I think. Do mobile users
*really* believe their calls are cheaper?

I don't spend 8/month on calls. 321 if I have to use the mobile,
1899.com if on the landline, free weekend calls on BT. My average
1899 call cost (total mins over the month divided by cost) is 2.5/min.

--
AnthonyL

Old January 8th 19, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

[...]

But they are jointly and severally liable for any debts so how can the
bank withold information? How can I be liable for something I am not
made aware of? I'm going to ask the man from the large credit card
issuer.
Old January 8th 19, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 09:40, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware.

Maybe not, but how is missing a landline call from the NHS any different
to missing a mobile call from the NHS ?

I spend what are commonly called 'office hours' away from home, that's
when the NHS are likely to ring me. I'm sat in an office right now, if
they ring on my mobile, I'll answer (just as I'd answer the landline
phone that's on my desk here)

--
Mark
Old January 8th 19, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/7/2019 2:49 PM, MB wrote:
NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.

I ignored a call from that number - no caller name, no message was left,
but I was curious, looked it up, and found I'd been called about an
appointment.

Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls. I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable. A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.

I have relatives abroad, too - but they all know to text me, and I'll
call them back. I always have my mobile nearby, but I can't really carry
my landline with me when I'm out and about!

Old January 8th 19, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

So you have keep remembering to divert to voicemail then put back to
normal. If it is important they will leave a message on my phone at
home, if very important then they will call the mobile and I will answer
because I know it is going to be important for them to call the mobile.

Old January 8th 19, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 08:56, Scott wrote:
Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls. I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable. A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.

I have a handful of friends abroad, they are not likely to phone me
unless it is urgent and they have been told to identify themselves and I
will pick up the call.