Old January 8th 19, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On 08/01/2019 15:56, MB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

So you have keep remembering to divert to voicemail then put back to
normal.

No you don't, you simply switch the phone off to achieve that, or if
it's on and you want to dump to voicemail hit the 'Reject/Cleardown/Red'
button, or let it default to Voicemail after six or whatever rings.

--
Mark

Old January 8th 19, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 09:40, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware. Not every husband/wife tells the other everything about their
state of health. Its all to do with privacy - in the same way that the
bank will not talk to me about my wife's transactions on our joint account.

So they cannot send out letters to their customers either because they
do not know who will open the letter.

I would have thought that if more than one person has access to a bank
account then all need to know what the others are doing with the account.

Old January 8th 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 8 January 2019 15:13:52 UTC, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/8/2019 3:56 AM, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:40:48 -0500, S Viemeister
On 1/7/2019 2:49 PM, MB wrote:
NHS Scotland display the same 0800 number on all outgoing calls so never
had any problem with calls from them.
I ignored a call from that number - no caller name, no message was left,
but I was curious, looked it up, and found I'd been called about an
appointment.

Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls. I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable. A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.

I have relatives abroad, too - but they all know to text me, and I'll
call them back. I always have my mobile nearby, but I can't really carry
my landline with me when I'm out and about!

I do - it was ported to Voipfone and can make and receive calls from my mobile over Wi-Fi or 3/4G.
Old January 8th 19, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/8/2019 10:56 AM, MB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

So you have keep remembering to divert to voicemail then put back to
normal.* If it is important they will leave a message on my phone at
home, if very important then they will call the mobile and I will answer
because I know it is going to be important for them to call the mobile.

I must be missing something - if I don't answer my mobile, it
_automatically_ goes to voicemail, I don't have to faff around changing
settings.
Old January 8th 19, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 16:06:50 +0000, MB wrote:

On 08/01/2019 09:40, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware. Not every husband/wife tells the other everything about their
state of health. Its all to do with privacy - in the same way that the
bank will not talk to me about my wife's transactions on our joint account.

So they cannot send out letters to their customers either because they
do not know who will open the letter.

It doesn't make sense. A statement for a joint account will disclose
information about the shopping habits of the other and potentially
their location on a particular day.

I would have thought that if more than one person has access to a bank
account then all need to know what the others are doing with the account.

Quite. What about the reverse? Your mortgage payment has not been
made for two months. My partner usually deals with that. Is she
there?' Sorry I cannot tell you that. When will she be home? Sorry
I cannot tell you that.

Old January 8th 19, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 16:14, S Viemeister wrote:
I must be missing something - if I don't answer my mobile, it
_automatically_ goes to voicemail, I don't have to faff around changing
settings.

So you don't mind it ringing whilst you are trying to talk to someone.
If mine rings when I am out then I know it is likely to be something
important.

Old January 8th 19, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue 08/01/2019 16:25, Scott wrote:
[...]

Couldn't agree more with you both, but the fact is that that is the way
they do it making whatever excuses they can think of at the time (no doubt.)

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 8th 19, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/8/2019 11:45 AM, MB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 16:14, S Viemeister wrote:
I must be missing something - if I don't answer my mobile, it
_automatically_ goes to voicemail, I don't have to faff around
changing settings.

So you don't mind it ringing whilst you are trying to talk to someone.
If mine rings when I am out then I know it is likely to be something
important.

I can give the screen a quick glance, answer if it's important, or send
it to voicemail if it can wait. If I don't want to hear the ringing, but
DO want to know if a call is coming in, I can set it to vibrate only.

It's a tool. I use it, it doesn't use me.

Old January 9th 19, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/01/2019 09:31, Chris Green wrote:

I use 3's 1-2-3 plan PAYGO on my mobile but make calls from home using
the land line, for me it's cheaper that way round. The alternative
would be to get a monthly plan for my mobile (with inclusive calls)
and discontinue the land line inclusive calls.

We thought about doing that, but the cheapest mobile plan we could find
would cost us a couple of quid a month more for the two of us than the
landline inclusive minutes.

For international calls that's even more true. I get 300 inclusive
international minutes plus unlimited uk calls for £8 pm with Plusnet. With
family abroad that's unbeatable.