Old January 9th 19, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

Mark Carver wrote:
On 08/01/2019 15:56, MB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

So you have keep remembering to divert to voicemail then put back to
normal.

No you don't, you simply switch the phone off to achieve that, or if
it's on and you want to dump to voicemail hit the 'Reject/Cleardown/Red'
button, or let it default to Voicemail after six or whatever rings.

Or set the do not disturb option.

Old January 9th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/01/2019 13:11, Chris wrote:
Or set the do not disturb option.

But then the phone cannot receive the odd important call.

Just watching on the news a report on the new law on junk calls. One
man showing how one man was receiving repeated calls on his mobile.
Presumably he has giving his number out to people, I only do when
essential so have never received a junk call on it.

I was very sceptical of the Minister saying people should make a note of
the number of the junk caller - is it going to be a real number or a UK
number?

Old January 9th 19, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 1/9/2019 8:30 AM, MB wrote:
On 09/01/2019 13:11, Chris wrote:
Or set the do not disturb option.

But then the phone cannot receive the odd important call.

That's what I use the 'vibrate only' setting for - doesn't disturb
anyone else, but I'll know when a call comes in.

Old January 9th 19, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 15:57, MB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 08:56, Scott wrote:
Maybe I'm more risk averse than some others but I am cautious about
ignoring calls.* I have relatives abroad, two of whom are unwell.
Company numbers can be unpredictable.* A guy I know learned all the
STD codes (and invited us to test him in the pub) but even that would
not work any more.

I have a handful of friends abroad, they are not likely to phone me
unless it is urgent and they have been told to identify themselves and I
will pick up the call.

I don't have to worry about ignoring calls, I never get any :-(

Old January 9th 19, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 08:58, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:20:04 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 19:56, Scott wrote:

No casual calls but specific contacts, such as 'Your car is ready' or
Do you want us to do x?' are entirely appropriate.

In which case you give them the mobile number and tell them to use it
for that specific purpose only. All other calls to the landline please.

Broadly agree. All I am saying is the mobile has its uses.

Indeed it does, but I'll decide what that use is, not somebody else.

Old January 9th 19, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

They won't leave a voicemail with me, it's turned off. I refuse to pay
to ring it up to retrieve messages. If it's that important, they'll call
back later.

Old January 9th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main
street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

They won't leave a voicemail with me, it's turned off.

You're a right old skinflint, aren't you ? Anyway, my voicemail
retrieval is 'free', but hey.

--
Mark
Old January 9th 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main
street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were out.

They won't leave a voicemail with me, it's turned off.

You're a right old skinflint, aren't you ?* Anyway, my voicemail
retrieval is 'free', but hey.

You're absolutely right, although I don't know why, I still end up with
very little money..! But I dislike spending money without reason, and
picking up voicemail is one of those reasons.

Old January 10th 19, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 15:54, tim... wrote:

I prefer to use my LL.

I don't, I specify my only means of contact as my mobile now, no need then
to worry about staying in to catch calls etc

well obviously the mobile is useful for making calls that need to be made
when out and about

but when I'm in my house and want to phone someone for a chat, I prefer to
use my LL phone.

tim

--
Mark

Old January 10th 19, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am driving,
talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important,

I have voicemail turned off because they used to charge extortionate fees to
retrieve messages (I have no idea if they still do)

And some people's idea of important is skewed - when I used to rely on
agents to find me jobs, they would leave messages like "we are urgently
trying to contact you" and when you returned the call all they wanted was
"we are updating out database"

but because you can answer it, it's better than missing the call on your
home landline because you were out.

did you miss the technological step when (free) voice mail became available
on landlines?

tim