Old January 10th 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

"Woody" wrote in message
On Tue 08/01/2019 11:41, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:40:15 +0000, Woody
wrote:

On Tue 08/01/2019 08:05, Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/01/2019 19:53, MB wrote:

Same here, I don't want people calling my mobile phone when I am
driving, talking to people in a shop, walking down the noisy main
street.

You don't have to answer it, you have a choice, they will leave a
voicemail if it's that important, but because you can answer it, it's
better than missing the call on your home landline because you were
out.

Generally speaking the NHS will not leave a voicemail as there is no
guarantee that the person for whom it is intended will get it and as
anyone could listen to the message it might reveal information
pertaining to the intended recipient of which the listener was not
aware. Not every husband/wife tells the other everything about their
state of health. Its all to do with privacy - in the same way that the
bank will not talk to me about my wife's transactions on our joint
account.

Is the bank correct about this? Surely if it is a joint account both
account holders have equal rights? The bank can talk to any 'account
holder'. I'm meeting someone from Europe's largest credit card issuer
on Saturday so will ask.

Its all about privacy again. They tend to treat the signatories of a joint
account as individuals and will thus not cross-pass information.

as banks don't routinely check signatures on cheques,

how would they know who signed which transaction on the statement?

tim

Old January 10th 19, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 15:55, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 09:31, Chris Green wrote:

I use 3's 1-2-3 plan PAYGO on my mobile but make calls from home using
the land line, for me it's cheaper that way round. The alternative
would be to get a monthly plan for my mobile (with inclusive calls)
and discontinue the land line inclusive calls.

We thought about doing that, but the cheapest mobile plan we could find
would cost us a couple of quid a month more for the two of us than the
landline inclusive minutes.

either you get a very good LL deal (can I have it please) or you didn't
look hard enough

We're on Sky and get inclusive calls to UK landlines and mobiles for £8 a
month on top of the line rental.

The cheapest mobile contract we could find with a reasonable amount of
inclusive minutes was £5 a month, so for two of us that's a tenner, so
using the landline saves us £2 a month. That may not sound a lot to you,
but if you're on a low income it makes all the difference.

as you both currently share the single LL inclusive calls

why can't you both share a single mobile "inclusive calls"?

tim

Old January 10th 19, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Scott" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:45:20 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 15:57:42 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 18:35:38 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 06/01/2019 18:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/landline-...nfold-11599229

Why might that be?

Could it be most mobiles plans have lots of inclusive minutes these
days?

Yes, that's the reason in this house, (We make no landline calls now,
the only incomers are from scammers) Plus on mobiles; Skype to Skype,
or Whatsapp to Whatsapp, or for iphone folk Facetime. All free, and
video too.

I understand some people have a policy of not answering the landline
phone. I believe my neighbour is one such.

when 90% are scamsters trying to con me, I do likewise

unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

This may backfire. I have a friend who has some call screening system
which means you have to state your name and wait for him to answer (if
he is in). I just don't phone him any more. I send an email instead,
which seems less sociable.

does he not have a white list you can be added to?

Probably does but he's a bit of an A45E.

FWIW, I have good friends who I don't call anymore either, just conversing
by email. And not because they have call screening (because they don't)

I suppose it's reverting to the days when we sent letter rather than
making phone calls.

IME NHS hasn't yet left the mode of "we send letters because we have to"

even when they make call/send texts as well

When I have my six monthly blood tests, I am uninterested in the result
unless it is adverse. At which point the practice send me a letter telling
me to make a appointment to discuss an urgent (FSVO) matter.

they could just as easily send me a text or an email. And they could let me
access my results from their online portal

none of which they seem capable of doing

tim

Old January 10th 19, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 17:02:41 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

I don't have to worry about ignoring calls, I never get any :-(

Post your number on here, I sure some kind soul will call you.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 10th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:57:42 +0000, tim... wrote:

I understand some people have a policy of not answering the landline
phone. I believe my neighbour is one such.

when 90% are scamsters trying to con me, I do likewise

unfortunately sometimes a medical (admin) person calls me on the LL so I
sometimes feel that I have to answer

Our system handles a blacklist and a (nasty) greylist.

calls from medical establishments usually come from withheld numbers

they don't want you phoning them back on that number, as if it's a personal
number they get too many crank calls, and if it's the generic office number
the person who answers wont have a clue why you were phoned.

tim

Old January 10th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris Green" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 06/01/2019 18:08, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/landline-...nfold-11599229

Why might that be?

Could it be most mobiles plans have lots of inclusive minutes these
days?

Yes, that's the reason in this house, (We make no landline calls now,
the
only incomers are from scammers) Plus on mobiles; Skype to Skype,
or Whatsapp to Whatsapp, or for iphone folk Facetime. All free, and
video
too.

even if you don't have inclusive minutes mobile calls are cheaper than LL

8ppm on my mobile, 23p connection plus 10ppm on my LL

As opposed to 3p/min on my PAYG mobile

with 3?

AIUI I need a 3G phone for that, I don't have one (well I do, but it's too
big and clunky to carry around all day)

and 0p for up to an hour on my
landline (OK, I am paying something per month for 'free' calls).

precisely, that is the whole point of this discussion

Where on earth are you buying your phone services?

Asda mobile

tim

Old January 10th 19, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 11:59, tim... wrote:

but because you can answer it, it's better than missing the call on
your home landline because you were out.

did you miss the technological step when (free) voice mail became
available on landlines?

No, not at all, but it's also free on my phone.

If I could do away with my landline now, I would.

--
Mark
Old January 10th 19, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:30, tim... wrote:

calls from medical establishments usually come from withheld numbers

they don't want you phoning them back on that number, as if it's a
personal number they get too many crank calls, and if it's the generic
office number the person who answers wont have a clue why you were phoned.

That's not my problem. If someone phones me and I'm not there, they
should give me a number on which I can get them, not someone who won't
have a clue.

Old January 10th 19, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:19, tim... wrote:

as you both currently share the single LL inclusive calls

why can't you both share a single mobile "inclusive calls"?

Because we have two phones. It's not really practical to have one mobile
between the two of us. It's possible, I suppose, but it would be
extremely inconvenient.

Old January 10th 19, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
On 09/01/2019 13:11, Chris wrote:
Or set the do not disturb option.

But then the phone cannot receive the odd important call.

You can whitelist numbers and- I think this also true for android - if
someone rings twice in quick succession it gets through regardless.

Just watching on the news a report on the new law on junk calls. One
man showing how one man was receiving repeated calls on his mobile.
Presumably he has giving his number out to people, I only do when
essential so have never received a junk call on it.

Same. If it's the same report I saw, he said he got them every 30 minutes!
I've maybe received less than five spam messages in 15 years in my mobile.
Some people just aren't very careful.