Old January 10th 19, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Landline use falls

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:51:31 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/01/2019 15:54, tim... wrote:

I prefer to use my LL.

I don't, I specify my only means of contact as my mobile now, no need then
to worry about staying in to catch calls etc

well obviously the mobile is useful for making calls that need to be made
when out and about

but when I'm in my house and want to phone someone for a chat, I prefer to
use my LL phone.

Me too, for audio quality. Except that the other party is often on a
cordless phone and because s/he can hear me clearly makes no effort to
speak directly into the mouthpiece.

Old January 10th 19, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 11:59, tim... wrote:

but because you can answer it, it's better than missing the call on your
home landline because you were out.

did you miss the technological step when (free) voice mail became
available on landlines?

No, not at all, but it's also free on my phone.

If I could do away with my landline now, I would.

it;s not compulsory

you can opt out

tim

--
Mark

Old January 10th 19, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 12:19, tim... wrote:

as you both currently share the single LL inclusive calls

why can't you both share a single mobile "inclusive calls"?

Because we have two phones. It's not really practical to have one mobile
between the two of us. It's possible, I suppose, but it would be extremely
inconvenient.

you don't have one mobile between the two of you

you have one mobile which you share for these long unlimited calls that you
currently make on the LL

tim

Old January 10th 19, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:19, tim... wrote:

as you both currently share the single LL inclusive calls

why can't you both share a single mobile "inclusive calls"?

Because we have two phones. It's not really practical to have one
mobile between the two of us. It's possible, I suppose, but it would
be extremely inconvenient.

you don't have one mobile between the two of you

you have one mobile which you share for these long unlimited calls that
you currently make on the LL

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I still prefer making calls on a
landline.

Old January 10th 19, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:19, tim... wrote:

as you both currently share the single LL inclusive calls

why can't you both share a single mobile "inclusive calls"?

Because we have two phones. It's not really practical to have one
mobile between the two of us. It's possible, I suppose, but it would
be extremely inconvenient.

you don't have one mobile between the two of you

you have one mobile which you share for these long unlimited calls that
you currently make on the LL

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I still prefer making calls on a
landline.

An elderly aquaintaince has a "desk top" mobile phone. i.e desk top
phone that isn't mobile but uses 1p mobile service. Saves her about
200 a year. She only wanted a phone for UK calls. No texts, no
data. BT were not convinced chucking them out was a good thing to do.
Oh yes it was.

--
brightside S9

Old January 11th 19, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 21:00, tim... wrote:

If I could do away with my landline now, I would.

it;s not compulsory

you can opt out

Can I ? I'm still forced to pay line rental for my Plusnet FTTC service ?

--
Mark
Old January 11th 19, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 11:59, tim... wrote:
did you miss the technological step when (free) voice mail became
available on landlines?

I prefer a TAM on landline.

If I am in the house then I can hear the message being recorded and pick
up the phone if I want to.

Old January 11th 19, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:26, tim... wrote:
IME NHS hasn't yet left the mode of "we send letters because we have to"

even when they make call/send texts as well

When I have my six monthly blood tests, I am uninterested in the result
unless it is adverse.* At which point the practice send me a letter
telling me to make a appointment to discuss an urgent (FSVO) matter.

they could just as easily send me a text or an email.* And they could
let me access my results from their online portal

none of which they seem capable of doing

In other businesses, I suspect a QA audit would probably require
notification in some form whether positive or negative result. I have
mentioned before I did not receive a letter about a hospital
appointment, the letters ask to ring to confirm but if you do not call
them then they presume you can attend. That would probably fail a QA
Audit anywhere else.

Old January 11th 19, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 12:30, tim... wrote:
calls from medical establishments usually come from withheld numbers

they don't want you phoning them back on that number, as if it's a
personal number they get too many crank calls, and if it's the generic
office number the person who answers wont have a clue why you were phoned.

As written previously, in Scotland they display the NHS Scotland 0800
number. Most of the time people have a good idea who is likely to be
calling them and a message will be left if urgent. If very urgent
(child in road accident perhaps) then there will quite likely be a
police car sent.

I have found that many companies and organisations resort to using a
mobile phone if all their outgoing lines are WITHHELD and the person is
blocking WITHHELD calls.

I was on 24/7 calls when working so checked with our operations centre
before getting Anonymous Call Rejection on my line. They had no
probably and said many places that they had to call used ACR, they just
preceded the number with 1470 in their telephone system (they did not
"dial" the number and just selected the name).

Old January 11th 19, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/01/2019 13:44, MissRiaElaine wrote:
That's not my problem. If someone phones me and I'm not there, they
should give me a number on which I can get them, not someone who won't
have a clue.

Exactly, if my phone shows a missed silent call from a WITHHELD number
then i presume it was a junk call.