Old January 11th 19, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Mobile phone as Sat Nav

On 11/01/2019 12:37, Graham. wrote:
On 10/01/2019 19:24, Graham. wrote:
The OP has not provided us with a link, or told us what legeslation
was used in the charge, but his post only makes sense if the device
was being treated as a mobile phone in which case he has a point!

A quick news search will find the reports which seem to be in most news
sources.

It is illegal to hold a phone or sat nav whilst driving.

Holding a sat nav *may* be deemed to be illegal in the same way as
holding a cigarette or sandwich.

To be dealt with by the same legislation as holding a mobile phone,
your device must be one "Which performs an interactive communication
function by transmitting and receiving data."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ade?view=plain

Surprisingly, "two way radio" does not pass this bar either.

Professional radio users such as police are trained how to use radio on
the move. As a radio amateur, I do occasionally use a hand microphone,
but I always drop it in my lap if necessary. I try not to get into
lengthy conversations on complicated bits of road, though.

Old January 11th 19, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 13:35, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Professional radio users such as police are trained how to use radio on
the move. As a radio amateur, I do occasionally use a hand microphone,
but I always drop it in my lap if necessary. I try not to get into
lengthy conversations on complicated bits of road, though.

I have never heard of them actually being given any specific training in
use of the radio. In the days when you could hear them, it was very
obvious that most had little knowledge of the use of the radio.

They always claim that it is the act of concentrating on the call that
is the danger. If the police had any considerations about safety they
would not allow any of their single crewed vehicles to use radios. But
it is all the other toys the have in the vehicle that also add to the
level of distraction to the driver.

I don't use a radio often now but I have many more years experience of
using a radio in my car than any wet behind the ears plod.
Old January 11th 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

Collisions involving police vehicles are seldom deemed to be the fault
of the police driver. Odd that ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 11th 19, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 15:27, MB wrote:

They always claim that it is the act of concentrating on the call that
is the danger.* If the police had any considerations about safety they
would not allow any of their single crewed vehicles to use radios.* But
it is all the other toys the have in the vehicle that also add to the
level of distraction to the driver.

I don't use a radio often now but I have many more years experience of
using a radio in my car than any wet behind the ears plod.

Possibly, but the person on the other end of a police radio call
generally knows what the driver is doing and where they are and will
keep quiet where necessary. The person on the other end of the average
mobile call doesn't have a clue.

Old January 11th 19, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/01/2019 16:47, Graham. wrote:
Collisions involving police vehicles are seldom deemed to be the fault
of the police driver. Odd that;-)

Even when no one else involved.

I thought they were classed as accidents if a police driver?

A few years ago a traffic car ended up on its side near here after going
off the road because of bad driving by the police driver. From what I
heard, they had a tarpaulin over it before anyone could get any
photographs!

Old January 14th 19, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@n
ezumi.demon.co.uk scribeth thus
On 10/01/2019 19:24, Graham. wrote:
On 09/01/2019 14:00, MB wrote:
I have always been very sceptical about the use of mobile phones as a
Sat Nav.* Just saw this news item.

Depends on *how* you use it.

If you enter the destination postcode before setting off and have the
speaker bluetooth linked then it is no different to any other satnav. If
you fiddle with it on the move then there is a problem.

"NHS consultant, 55, who was caught using her mobile as a sat-nav for
EIGHT seconds while driving at 50mph on dual-carriageway is banned for
six months"

Presumably someone pratting around with a real satnav, lighting up a
cigarette, or changing a CD could not be charged with the same offence.

The OP has not provided us with a link, or told us what legeslation
was used in the charge, but his post only makes sense if the device
was being treated as a mobile phone in which case he has a point!

It is this one - she *already* had 9 points on her license and was found
guilty of driving at 50mph for 8s driving 160 yards without looking at
the road ahead whilst looking at her mobile phone. Her bad luck that a
police car saw her doing it *and* that she didn't notice them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ey-NHS-doctor-
consultant-banned-driving-looking-phone.html

Sorry but IMO the ban is entirely reasonable.

9 points!??? Her patients might be a bit inconvenienced but other
patients stand a chance of surviving now!...
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 14th 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Graham.
scribeth thus
On 10/01/2019 19:24, Graham. wrote:
The OP has not provided us with a link, or told us what legeslation
was used in the charge, but his post only makes sense if the device
was being treated as a mobile phone in which case he has a point!

A quick news search will find the reports which seem to be in most news
sources.

It is illegal to hold a phone or sat nav whilst driving.

Holding a sat nav *may* be deemed to be illegal in the same way as
holding a cigarette or sandwich.

To be dealt with by the same legislation as holding a mobile phone,
your device must be one "Which performs an interactive communication
function by transmitting and receiving data."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ade?view=plain

Surprisingly, "two way radio" does not pass this bar either.

There are in the regs somewhere allowances for two-way radio equipment's
based on ones not working in the cellular frequency channels!...
--
Tony Sayer