Old January 10th 19, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Blacklisting IMEI

I had my new Nokia 6.1 pickpocketed from me on a Manchester tram. I
wanted to do my civic duty and get the IMEI blacklisted.

I headed over to my SIM provider's website which is GiffGaff, there is
no option that specifically mentions IMEI but there is

"Lost your Phone & SIM?
Lost both my phone and SIM card

You've lost your phone and you want to bar your phone and SIM. This
will block your phone being used on any network in the UK. If you find
your phone again, you will need to contact an agent to get it
unlocked."

Which must be the option I require.
But how does that work exactly?

Does it simply match the SIM up with the last IMEI it was associated
with, and blacklist that one?

If so, wouldn't the criminals, who are a sophisticated lot I
understand, simply place the stolen SIM into a "burner" of their own?
(a cheap disposable phone I understand it mi M'lud)
and get that ones IMEI blacklisted instead?

I have the IMEI of the stolen phone printed on the sales receipt from
CPW.

Also, doesn't the blacklisting scheme extend beyond the UK? Weren't we
in a European Union or something the last time I looked?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%