Old January 21st 19, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default MOTO G4 Plus: Weird charger problem

The SO & I both have a MotoG4 Plus (mine with twin SIM) and have struck a
puzzling charger problem after 2 years.

With these phones, when re-charging when switched off, there has always
been a momentary pin-point white flash as soon as charger switched on,
followed by a large graphic 'lightning strike' display of the battery
charge
level for a minute or so.

The other day the SO's MotoG4 failed to show those visual signs when the
charger was switched on, BUT if she used MY charger, it worked normally.
Not only that, but her charger still happily charged MY MotoG4...

So we have one charger (mine) that charges both, and the other only
charges mine.

The difference appears to be with the connecting charger CABLE.
My charger cable works with both Moto's with either charger plug, but
charging fails on hers (but not mine) with her charger cable.
So no fault on either charger plug.

This sounds illogical, but there must be a physical explanation.
Anyone know what it might be?

--
/\/\aurice

Old January 21st 19, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:21:00 +0000, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
wrote:

With my old charging cable my Moto 5 started saying 'charging slowly'
rather than 'charging rapidly' until the USB plug was wriggled or
replugged.

Changed to a newer USB lead and it's now always 'charging rapidly'

Although in my case there appears to be a difference between the 2 cables,
what baffles me is why the supposedly faulty cable works on my phone
but not the other (with either mains plug).

How can the same cable fail to allow charging on one phone but not the
other?

(Both are Android 7.0)

--
/\/\aurice
Old January 21st 19, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:22:03 +0000, Woody wrote:

it may be that one phone is demanding more current than the other which
the faulty charger cannot supply.

Neither charger plug seems to be faulty, as either charging plug will
charge
the other phone if the 'good' cable is used, whereas on my phone either
plug
will charge it /regardless/ of which cable is used.
That's the conundrum...

I shall look for a convenient source of replacement cable.

--
/\/\aurice
Old January 21st 19, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 21/01/2019 14:20, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
The SO & I both have a MotoG4 Plus (mine with twin SIM) and have
struck a puzzling charger problem after 2 years.

With these phones, when re-charging when switched off, there has
always been a momentary pin-point white flash as soon as charger
switched on, followed by a large graphic 'lightning strike'
display of the battery charge level for a minute or so.

With my old charging cable my Moto 5 started saying 'charging slowly' rather
than 'charging rapidly' until the USB plug was wriggled or replugged.

Mine G4 has also developed this fault. I suspect daily wear and tear on
the charger itself as none of my other toys will charge happily off the
Moto charger any more and all of them will charge OK off generic charger
cables plugged into various Apple USB wall warts. Sometimes the Moto
charger will work and other times it fails dismally to work at all.

Devices plugged into it recognise that they are being charged but
sometimes the charge rate is insufficient when actively being used!

Changed to a newer USB lead and it's now always 'charging rapidly', so I guess
one of the USB contacts is dodgy, don't know if it's the phone or Amazon long
cable.

Odd.

My Moto G4 charger has an integral lead (from the earliest batch) which
strangely when charging the Moto phone has its logo facing the table!

Martin Brown
Old January 21st 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 21 January 2019 17:21:23 UTC, Maurice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:22:03 +0000, Woody wrote:

it may be that one phone is demanding more current than the other which
the faulty charger cannot supply.

Neither charger plug seems to be faulty, as either charging plug will
charge
the other phone if the 'good' cable is used, whereas on my phone either
plug
will charge it /regardless/ of which cable is used.
That's the conundrum...

I shall look for a convenient source of replacement cable.

--
/\/\aurice

It's a flaky cable, bin it and get another.

Old January 22nd 19, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 21/01/2019 17:24, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

My G5 developed intermittent charging issues, then stopped charging
altogether. In that case, replacing the daughterboard for the USB socket
was cheap and fairly easy.
Old January 22nd 19, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"R. Mark Clayton" writes:

On Monday, 21 January 2019 17:21:23 UTC, Maurice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:22:03 +0000, Woody wrote:

it may be that one phone is demanding more current than the other
which the faulty charger cannot supply.

Neither charger plug seems to be faulty, as either charging plug will
charge the other phone if the 'good' cable is used, whereas on my
phone either plug will charge it /regardless/ of which cable is used.
That's the conundrum...

I shall look for a convenient source of replacement cable.

--
/\/\aurice

It's a flaky cable, bin it and get another.

There are apps which may help with your diagnosis by displaying charging
current. I use AccuBattery paid version.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old January 22nd 19, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/01/2019 07:52, Chris Bartram wrote:
[...]

In this case it is definitely the charger at fault. It won't charge
anything else either (although they recognise they are "on charge") the
current it supplies most times is too weak to charge any battery.

It is headed for WEE scrap shortly.

Martin Brown
Old January 22nd 19, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:07:19 -0800, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

It's a flaky cable, bin it and get another.

Already done!

But odd that the flaky cable works perfectly with my MotoG4 but not the
other...

/\/\aurice
Old January 22nd 19, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:52:15 +0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

replacing the daughterboard for the USB socket

Uh?

The only 'USB socket' here is in the charger mains plug, into which the
charger cable plugs.

/\/\aurice