Old February 3rd 19, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Milton Abbas

Copying this to uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile ...

On 03/02/2019 14:19, Bill Wright wrote:
On 03/02/2019 11:42, Woody wrote:

Did you not notice an earlier comment that the villagers are opposing
erection of a phone mast to improve cover locally?

Yes, they must be crackers.

Not necessarily, a lot depends on where the mast was to be installed.
Up here we've had recently a similar debacle, where EE wanted to erect a
4G mast right by the loch-side road, slap bang in the middle of one of
the finest views in the locality, of which view of the loch I have
sometimes observed people stop their car, get out, take a photo, get in,
and proceed on their way again. Despite mobile phone coverage at the
time not being very good, the proposed placing of the mast was baffling
to me, because I didn't think it would give any significant improvement
over what we already had from pre-existing antennae on the local TV
relay mast, and there were also self-contradictions within the
justification for the proposal itself. Consequently, a number of locals
including myself lodged objections to the proposal, and it was rejected.

So they put the new mast in a *much* better place, where not only it is
much more discreet, but also gives better coverage to those of us who
previously had less good coverage, much more so than I believe the
original proposal could ever have done. A "Win! Win!" for us!

So much so that at last I've just managed to get a 4G Data SIM with
unlimited downloads on the right network for a price less than what I'm
currently paying John Lewis, who, now that my initial contract has
expired, have started charging me 50% more than they were - that's:
:-( 50% more
:-( for the *same* service
:-( where I cannot see that their own costs have increased
:-( and they're currently offering a new contract on their site for
less than I had been paying previously!

And the Data SIM gets me aroung 15-18/Mbps, whereas the landline
struggled to get more than about 1.25Mbps.

You may be very sure that I shall soon be telling JL *exactly* what I
think of sharp accounting practices, copying Ofcom and my local MP, and
telling them where they can put my landline!

Old February 3rd 19, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun 03/02/2019 14:48, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Remember Mac that JL broadband is re-badged Plusnet!

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old February 6th 19, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/02/2019 15:20, Woody wrote:
[...]

Who are owned by BT .....

--
Blow my nose to email me
Old February 11th 19, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/02/2019 14:48, Java Jive wrote:
So they put the new mast in a *much* better place, where not only it is
much more discreet, but also gives better coverage to those of us who
previously had less good coverage, much more so than I believe the
original proposal could ever have done.¬* A "Win! Win!" for us!

It is amazing what can be done if they are forced to do so. There is a
small BT relay near Ballachulish with the dish painted brown so most
people probably do not even notice it as they pass. I have seen a few
towers painted dark colours and one brown/green camouflage. They like
to use a standard white fibreglass cabin but can be forced to use a
conventional building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffco...7648528189386/

This one has a hidden satellite dish for its feed.

Old February 11th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon 11/02/2019 17:07, MB wrote:
On 03/02/2019 14:48, Java Jive wrote:
So they put the new mast in a *much* better place, where not only it
is much more discreet, but also gives better coverage to those of us
who previously had less good coverage, much more so than I believe the
original proposal could ever have done.¬* A "Win! Win!" for us!

It is amazing what can be done if they are forced to do so.¬* There is a
small BT relay near Ballachulish with the dish painted brown so most
people probably do not even notice it as they pass.¬* I have seen a few
towers painted dark colours and one brown/green camouflage.¬* They like
to use a standard white fibreglass cabin but can be forced to use a
conventional building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffco...7648528189386/

This one has a hidden satellite dish for its feed.

We once put a 1.2m 1500MHz dish inside a false dormer roof on a
reservoir house looking out of the window. Never failed once.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com