Old February 11th 19, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Routers

Java Jive wrote:

I also have a TUMPA

That's certainly 3.3V

Old February 14th 19, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/02/2019 10:12, Michael Chare wrote:

Soldering the serial is difficult, I ended up pulling a bit of the
circuit board when the wire I attached got moved.¬* There is a non solder
method using cooking foil and sticky tape which I will try next. I also
ended up with a HH5B when the box I bought on ebay was not precisely
described and I was not careful enough to check properly.

A friend of mine tried soldering the serial and broke the device. He's
pretty competent, so it must be a bit tricky.
Old February 16th 19, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/02/2019 14:20, Java Jive wrote:

That's not so good¬* -¬* these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron.¬* Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Well, it arrived yesterday, and I spent half the night doing the job,
but I think I can be fairly pleased with the result:
www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/20190216_071340.jpg

The solder pads are certainly very small, so, bearing in mind the
cautions of others about ripping the tracks off the PCB, I chose the
flimsiest flex I could find - which in a former life had connected the
cartridge head of a vinyl turntable to a connector underneath its base
- in the hope that if I was accidentally a little rough, the flex would
break rather than the tracks rip off the PCB. In the event, despite
some provocation, neither of these mishaps occurred. For the other end,
I cut out a bit of old veroboard (what a strange smell that stuff has)
to the same dimension as the label in the back slot, planning to slide
it into that instead of the label, but then I realised that not only was
that a little too tight a fit for comfort, but there were four
convenient mounting points inside the case immediately behind the slot,
so I mounted it on those with the smallest screws I had, having drilled
a hole in the back in the middle of the slot to allow the pins to be
accessed from the outside, and holes for the screws The pins were the
standard breadboard/veroboard type, and were arranged so that I could
use the same connector as for my Zyxel NSA221 NASs without any further
hassle. Ta-da, success! So now the pins are covered by the label card,
the only really noticeable external evidence being that it bulges
slightly in the middle where they protrude about 1mm beyond the surface
of the case, but then at my age I too am bulging in the middle, so I'm
not complaining.

One thing that wasn't clear from the instructions was how to load the
temporary u-boot, but finally I twigged that you had to load it as a
text file, select all of it, and paste it into Putty (<rt-click). Once
I'd got that far, it was, truly, a doddle.

So now I'm connecting via ADSL and have proper local DNS, but now I have
to work out how to get the Huawei USB 4G stick to work. I was too tired
to accomplish this last night, and there didn't seem to be anything in
the flashing instructions, so any pointers would be useful.

Tx for all the advice, which was instrumental in obtaining a good
outcome first time.
Old February 16th 19, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/02/2019 11:52, Java Jive wrote:

... but now I have
to work out how to get the Huawei USB 4G stick to work.

Been stuck and tearing my hair out on this all day. A search for ...
openwrt with Huawei E3372
.... gets plenty of hits over the first few pages, but they're all from
several years ago, and tell me to install several modules, many of which
seem now to be in the kernel, because there's no separate download for
them. For example (anonymized):

[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
Package usb-modeswitch (2017-12-19-f40f84c2-1) installed in root is up
to date.
Package kmod-mii (4.9.120-1) installed in root is up to date.
Package kmod-usb-net (4.9.120-1) installed in root is up to date.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-wdm.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package uqmi.

[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Unknown package 'wwan'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wwan.

The two packages most consistently appearing in these lists are ...
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether
usb-modeswitch
.... which both installed successfully, but the USB modem doesn't get
found and listed in the possible interfaces or devices:

[email protected]:~# ifconfig
br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet addr:000.111.222.333 Bcast:000.111.222.333
Mask:000.111.222.333
inet6 addr: fd05:2a4d:2b0c::1/60 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1079193 (1.0 MiB) TX bytes:7454274 (7.1 MiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1348130 (1.2 MiB) TX bytes:7556306 (7.2 MiB)

eth0.1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1065365 (1.0 MiB) TX bytes:7441854 (7.0 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:000.111.222.333 Mask:000.111.222.333
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:400844 (391.4 KiB) TX bytes:400844 (391.4 KiB)

pppoa-wan Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:000.111.222.333 P-t-P:000.111.222.333
Mask:000.111.222.333
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:3829117 (3.6 MiB) TX bytes:436937 (426.6 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:14207 (13.8 KiB) TX bytes:64295 (62.7 KiB)

wlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66
inet6 addr: 0000:1111:2222:3333:44444/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:813 (813.0 B) TX bytes:46826 (45.7 KiB)

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most grateful.
Old February 17th 19, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:08:05 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.

Have you performed an opkg update? Like apt, opkg needs to know the
file name, size and hash of the remote package before it will do
anything with the install directive. There's also a very good chance
that whatever build you're using doesn't have those packages compiled
as modules (installable by opkg) and you *may* have to build your own,
which sounds daunting but with OpenWRT's buildroot is fairly
straightforward.

You'll also need mwan3 and its associated luci front-end for failover
duty, which pulls in iproute2 and associated advanced routing bits. You
can do it manually with hotplugd and iproute2 (I use a wireguard VPN and
have iproute2 directing traffic between the main WAN and the VPN using
ip rule statements and tagging) but it's much faff on the command
line.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time

Old February 17th 19, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most grateful.

Presumably it's got the "Hilink mode" firmware, rather than the "Stick
mode" firmware installed?

If you plug it into a Windows PC (with wifi and ethernet disabled) do
you see an additional 'ethernet over USB' interface with a router
address, I think it has a web interface on that address.

I replaced mine with stick mode, and that works fine on a Fedora PC with
ModemManager/NetworkManager, but not with openWRT as it crashes a lantiq
USB module.

You seem to have the right sort of extras installed, here's my list that
I install after every upgrade, obviously they're not all dongle related...

opkg install curl htop ip-full lm-sensors procps-ng-ps arp-scan
opkg install luci luci-app-sqm luci-proto-ncm luci-app-wol
opkg install usb-modeswitch usbutils comgt-ncm minicom
opkg install kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-nf-nathelper-extra
Old February 17th 19, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.

Have you performed an opkg update? Like apt, opkg needs to know the
file name, size and hash of the remote package before it will do
anything with the install directive.

Yes, I have, before installing the two that worked.

There's also a very good chance
that whatever build you're using

openwrt-18.06.1-lantiq-xrx200-bt_homehub-v5a-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

doesn't have those packages compiled
as modules (installable by opkg) and you *may* have to build your own,
which sounds daunting but with OpenWRT's buildroot is fairly
straightforward.

Oh yech! My experience of trying to improve my NASs this way didn't end
well!

You'll also need mwan3

[email protected]:~# opkg install mwan3
Installing mwan3 (2.6.18-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...6.18-1_all.ipk
Installing libmnl (1.0.4-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
[...]
Configuring kmod-nfnetlink.
[...]
Configuring mwan3.
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Failed to parse message data
Failed to parse message data

and its associated luci front-end

How would I install that?

for failover
duty, which pulls in iproute2 and associated advanced routing bits. You
can do it manually with hotplugd and iproute2 (I use a wireguard VPN and
have iproute2 directing traffic between the main WAN and the VPN using
ip rule statements and tagging) but it's much faff on the command
line.

Last part of that is a little beyond me, but failover might be important
- if by that is meant that if one WAN source fails another seamlessly
takes its place.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but when
I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very unreliable -
the moment I started to download anything significant in size it would
lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to pick up the
landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to get things going
again. However, now that the DV has partially died, I'm wondering if
its remaining functionality was and is also flaky, and therefore that
discontinuing my landline may still be a viable option. However, to
make that decision, obviously I need first to get the Huawei to work
reliably with the BTHH5a.
Old February 17th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

If anyone can help me get the Huawei USB stick going I'd be most
grateful.

Presumably it's got the "Hilink mode" firmware, rather than the "Stick
mode" firmware installed?

Not entirely sure, but I don't think so. when plugged into a laptop,
there is nothing to be found at 192.168.8.1. The Mobile Partner
software version is 23.015.02.00.03, whereas that older debate seemed to
be between 21.x and 22.x.

If you plug it into a Windows PC (with wifi and ethernet disabled) do
you see an additional 'ethernet over USB' interface with a router
address, I think it has a web interface on that address.

IPConfig shows (anonymized):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HUAWEI Mobile Connect -
Network Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.52.xxx
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0000::111:2222:3333:0%6
194.168.8.100
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 February 2019 13:28:44
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 February 2019 13:28:44

Speedtest.net gives me 85ms 24.36Mbps 0.89Mbps

I replaced mine with stick mode, and that works fine on a Fedora PC with
ModemManager/NetworkManager, but not with openWRT as it crashes a lantiq
USB module.

You seem to have the right sort of extras installed, here's my list that
I install after every upgrade, obviously they're not all dongle related...

opkg install curl htop ip-full lm-sensors procps-ng-ps arp-scan
opkg install luci luci-app-sqm luci-proto-ncm luci-app-wol
opkg install usb-modeswitch usbutils comgt-ncm minicom
opkg install kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-nf-nathelper-extra

Ah! STOP PRESS - Some new information!

I hadn't realised that it seems to be necessary to run ...
opkg update
.... before you run ...
opkg install xxx
.... EVEN THOUGH you have updated recently. It seems the data it
produces is volatile and doesn't survive for long - my initial thought
was that most probably it's lost after a system reboot &/or power
cycling, but I've just disproved this. So, for example:

Yesterday, even though ...
opkg update
.... had been performed earlier that day ...

[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
[...]
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-wdm'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan'.
Unknown package 'uqmi'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-wdm.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package uqmi.
[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Unknown package 'wwan'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wwan.

Today ...

[email protected]:~# opkg update
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...es/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/openwrt_core
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...s/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
[...]
[email protected]:~# opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan uqmi
[...]
Installing kmod-usb-wdm (4.9.120-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan (4.9.120-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing uqmi (2016-12-19-8ceeab69-3) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Installing wwan (2014-07-17-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring kmod-usb-wdm.
Configuring kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan.
Configuring wwan.
Configuring uqmi.
[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Package wwan (2014-07-17-1) installed in root is up to date.

.... then power-cycle and log back in ...

[email protected]:~# opkg install wwan
Package wwan (2014-07-17-1) installed in root is up to date.

.... so I don't know how and when the update data was lost yesterday, but
clearly somehow it was so.

And anyway I *still* can't see either anything like eth1 or wwan0 in the
list of interfaces. Grrr!
Old February 17th 19, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:22:12 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

and its associated luci front-end

How would I install that?

# opkg install luci-app-mwan3

Last part of that is a little beyond me, but failover might be
important - if by that is meant that if one WAN source fails another
seamlessly takes its place.

That is exactly what it means.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but
when I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very
unreliable - the moment I started to download anything significant
in size it would lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to
pick up the landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to
get things going again.

I wonder if Virgin's "unlimited" actually means "terms and conditions,
including a FUP, apply and your kneecaps may be at risk if you exceed
mobe levels of data" which would be pretty much standard for cheap
deals from sh^H^Hmobile networks, especially virtual ones. That could
mean a traffic profile filter kicking in.

However, now that the DV has partially died, I'm wondering if its
remaining functionality was and is also flaky, and therefore that
discontinuing my landline may still be a viable option. However, to
make that decision, obviously I need first to get the Huawei to work
reliably with the BTHH5a.

I'm not seeing a CDC eth1 in your ip a list, just pppoa-wan which
I'm assuming is your DSL connection, which looks to me like the Huawei
is still in one of its other modes. What does manually running
"/etc/init.d/usbmode enable && /etc/init.d/usbmode start" do? If that
brings eth1 into the list, the usb-modeswitch service wasn't enabled
during the package install. At that point you should be able to follow
this:

https://protyposis.net/blog/using-th...-with-openwrt/

Old February 17th 19, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 15:39, Chronos wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 13:22:12 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

How would I install that?

# opkg install luci-app-mwan3

Same again, previous update data lost:

[email protected]:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Unknown package 'luci-app-mwan3'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-mwan3.
[email protected]:~# opkg update
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...es/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/openwrt_core
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...s/Packages.sig
Signature check passed.
[...]
[email protected]:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Installing luci-app-mwan3 (git-19.046.40869-30d9bc0-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release...9bc0-1_all.ipk
Installing libuci-lua (2018-08-11-4c8b4d6e-1) to root...
Downloading
http://downloads.openwrt.org/release..._mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring libuci-lua.
Configuring luci-app-mwan3.

The idea is that I discontinue my landline in favour of 4G/LTE, but
when I tried the latter with my DrayTek Vigor 2830n it was very
unreliable - the moment I started to download anything significant
in size it would lose connection, and then the DV didn't seem able to
pick up the landline to replace it, and would require rebooting to
get things going again.

I wonder if Virgin's "unlimited" actually means "terms and conditions,
including a FUP, apply and your kneecaps may be at risk if you exceed
mobe levels of data" which would be pretty much standard for cheap
deals from sh^H^Hmobile networks, especially virtual ones. That could
mean a traffic profile filter kicking in.

Well, there may be, almost certainly is, some sort of traffic control,
but the package is *Unlimited* data, so, while I'd expect some sort of
slow down at busy periods as voice gets preference, I wouldn't expect
being cut off altogether in such a way as the whole connection is f*ked.
If that turns out to be what is really happening, then I'll be calling
in the attention of both Ofcom and the ASA.

I'm not seeing a CDC eth1 in your ip a list, just pppoa-wan which
I'm assuming is your DSL connection,

Yes, correct.

which looks to me like the Huawei
is still in one of its other modes. What does manually running
"/etc/init.d/usbmode enable && /etc/init.d/usbmode start" do?

Nothing, in the sense there is no message returned by the commands, but
I suppose at least that means there was no error, but still nothing new
in ifconfig's output, nor the GUI that I can see, but I note that at the
bottom of the status page there is a section I hadn't noticed before,
the output is in boxes across the page and read:

MWAN Interfaces

Interface: wan

Interface: wan6

Interface: wanb

Interface: wanb6

I am puzzled by both wan6 and wanb. According to the interfaces page,
wan6 should be up and running, but obviously it isn't, so why not? And
is wanb the missing Huawei? If so, why is it present even when the
router is rebooted without the Huawei plugged in? I presume therefore
it's just the ethernet WAN port on the back?

If that
brings eth1 into the list, the usb-modeswitch service wasn't enabled
during the package install. At that point you should be able to follow
this:

https://protyposis.net/blog/using-th...-with-openwrt/

Yes, I think I've seen that page before, also, among others:
https://gist.github.com/bjoern-r/134...6330e688af1441

However, as in my reply to Andy, there's nothing at 192.168.8.1, even
when the Huawei is plugged into a PC.