Old February 17th 19, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Routers

Java Jive wrote:

And anyway I *still* can't see either anything like eth1 or wwan0 in the
list of interfaces.¬* Grrr!

I don't think ypu should see /dev/ttyUSB type devoces, because you're
using fake ethernet, rather than fake serial port mode, I'm using the
latter hence instaling minicom in order to send it hayes AT style
commands to "dial" but I suspect you need usbmodeswitch to put the
dongle into fake ethernet mode?

Old February 17th 19, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 14:36, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/02/2019 11:15, MikeS wrote:

You will need to be sure that the router firmware is finding the modem
and not a USB stick/CDROM with the drivers etc.

I think I'm right in saying that it's not either/or¬* -¬* as long as the
right modules are loaded, both should be found automatically.

I originally bought the TP-Link routers I mentioned previously for use
with 3G dongles. Their firmware simply reported "modem identified" even
on first use, never any indication of a USB drive.

I also used the same dongles with various versions of Windows whose
behavior varied. Sometimes the device no longer appeared as a USB stick
after the modem was installed, other times it was still there even with
the modem working correctly.

Old February 17th 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 18:39, MikeS wrote:

I also used the same dongles with various versions of Windows whose
behavior varied. Sometimes the device no longer appeared as a USB stick
after the modem was installed, other times it was still there even with
the modem working correctly.

My experience is the latter, on both XP and W7 the storage remains
accessible even while the stick is connected.
Old February 17th 19, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/02/2019 22:08, Java Jive wrote:

Been stuck and tearing my hair out on this all day.

I'm gradually discovering more about this problem ...

1) As already posted, at least in the case of packages that haven't been
installed, the information arising from ...
opkg update
.... is volatile and doesn't last, and therefore it should be considered
de riguer to run the above command before every attempt to install a new
package.

Next, some more new information. I've now discovered that the Huawei
E3372 devices come in either an 's' or an 'h' designation, which
respectively indicate serial and hilink modes. Looking back, I see
that, not being aware of the importance of the differences, I didn't
specify which mine is, and I can only apologise for that, mine is an:
Huawei E3372s

So I've been reading through ...
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/.../wwan/3gdongle

I've installed ...

comgt
kmod-usb-serial
kmod-usb-serial-option
kmod-usb-serial-wwan
usb-modeswitch
wwan
mwan3 luci-app-mwan3

.... and I've got as far as getting two ttyUSBx devices, but not
everything mentioned in this quote:

"Check dmesg for:

USB Serial support registered for generic
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: generic converter detected
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.1: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usbco registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
usbco registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems"

I have ...

"usbco registered new interface driver option
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1"

.... but still no modem visible in either ifconfig or the GUI.

Old February 18th 19, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

I've now discovered that the Huawei E3372 devices come in either an 's'
or an 'h' designation

The "Hilink" or "Stick" option I asked about, I suspect you'll likely
run into the same problem I have, that as soon as the PPP stack starts
talking to the modem device the USB driver panics the kernel ...

Old February 18th 19, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

I've now discovered that the Huawei E3372 devices come in either an
's' or an 'h' designation

The "Hilink" or "Stick" option I asked about, I suspect you'll likely
run into the same problem I have, that as soon as the PPP stack starts
talking to the modem device the USB driver panics the kernel ...

I reported it here

<https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=1367

someone else confirmed it happened for them, I've not checked it since
going back from nightly snapshots to 18.06.1

I looked at the source around the region of the reported panic and
couldn't see what was going on.

A forum post I made too, might help

<https://forum.openwrt.org/t/huawei-e3372-with-ncm/11778
Old February 18th 19, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/02/2019 15:23, Java Jive wrote:
First, let me thank Chronos & Andy for their continuing help ...

On 18/02/2019 07:18, Chronos wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 00:27:27 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

¬*¬*¬*¬*Huawei E3372s

Yes, that's extremely important. Yours is the variant which appears to
be a serial modem, hence the "s" suffix, and accepts Hayes AT control
commands rather than appearing as a virtual NATted NIC.

... but still no modem visible in either ifconfig or the GUI.

No, there won't be. The WANx interface won't appear until pppd is
running and connected to the APN. You need luci-proto-3g

Successfully installed.

Next I tried ...
¬*¬*¬*¬*option device '/dev/ttyUSB1'
... but, although it connects as follows, it's treacle slow, and
unreliable:

I'm going to have to spend much of this afternoon on boring domestic
chores (but, hey, at least I won't have to make a round trip of 100
miles to Dingwall tomorrow, we've *at last* managed to persuade Tesco to
deliver to this area now!).¬* I may be able to give it some more time later.

Thanks for the ongoing help.

Sorry if this is so obvious you already did it but have you tried
installing the Huawei E3372s on a Windows machine to see if it and your
SIM work properly with a reliable 3G or 4G connection at your location?
Old February 18th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/02/2019 16:35, MikeS wrote:

Sorry if this is so obvious you already did it but have you tried
installing the Huawei E3372s on a Windows machine to see if it and your
SIM work properly with a reliable 3G or 4G connection at your location?

Yes, as already described upthread.
Old February 19th 19, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 daemon.info pppd[2142]: Serial connection
established.
Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 kern.info kernel: [¬*¬* 37.763727] 3g-wanb:
renamed from ppp0
[...]
Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 daemon.info pppd[2142]: Using interface 3g-wanb
Mon Feb 18 13:06:52 2019 daemon.notice pppd[2142]: Connect: 3g-wanb <--
/dev/ttyUSB1

So you do have some form of 3G connection working, if not
satisfactorily? I'll have another try ...
Old February 19th 19, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

1)¬*¬*¬* Why are there two ttyUSBx devices, not one?

Is it:
¬*¬*¬*¬*?¬*¬*¬* One is command/control channel, other is data channel?

I think it's along those lines

2)¬*¬*¬* How Linux is supposed to bring up a serial modem from boot?¬*¬* I
mean every step involved, because it seems likely that at least one is
being missed out.¬* For example, on this page ...

I know openwrt has to be "cut down" to fit small devices, but it's
annoying that on fedora the huawei modem "just works" using modemmanager

... every few seconds there is echoed a message of the form ...
¬*¬*¬*¬*^HCSQ:"WCDMA",32,18,37

I think that's signal strength info