Old February 28th 19, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Routers

On 27/02/2019 20:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

Note that in the lan zone, option network refers to itself, while in
the wan zone option network refers to the actual interfaces.

It's just that you have a zone and an interface both called "lan" but
there's no significance to that, the zone could just as easily be called
"internal"

Yes, and it's a bloody dog's dinner. In many untyped programming
languages, it is often considered good practice to clarify the type of
variable by prefixing the name, so
strVariable for a string,
intVariable for an integer,
objVariable for an object,
ptrVariable for a pointer,
etc.

A convention like that is required here, so anyone and everyone can tell
more easily what the hell is going on. Indeed, it may well be the lack
of such an understandable convention that originally led to the bug I'm
actually trying to solve!

Old February 28th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 28/02/2019 12:17, Java Jive wrote:

On 27/02/2019 20:11, Andy Burns wrote:

A convention like that is required here, so anyone and everyone can tell
more easily what the hell is going on.* Indeed, it may well be the lack
of such an understandable convention that originally led to the bug I'm
actually trying to solve!

The above point still stands, but as far as the 'bug' goes I have to eat
humble pie, as it was a misconfiguration by myself - somewhere in the
OpenWRT support it describes a bug using the WAN port where the MAC is
not applied properly, and they suggest setting one manually in the
advanced settings. I reasoned that the DSL port would be the next one
up from that of eth0, so added two for the WAN port, but it so happens
that this is the MAC of the WLAN. Changing the port assigned to the WAN
to eth0+1 has solved the problem.