Old February 17th 19, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Unlocked phone asks for NP code

On 17/02/2019 21:59, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:

My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

You’ve maybe mixed up old handsets, one of which has never been unlocked
and the code is for a different handset?

Just a thought. It would explain why the handset has mysteriously
“relocked” itself and why the code doesn’t work.

Tim

No, I have the separate E-mails that the unlock codes came on for each
phone.
Derek

Old February 19th 19, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/02/2019 00:37, DerekF wrote:
On 17/02/2019 21:59, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:

My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

You’ve maybe mixed up old handsets, one of which has never been unlocked
and the code is for a different handset?

Just a thought. It would explain why the handset has mysteriously
“relocked” itself and why the code doesn’t work.

Tim

No, I have the separate E-mails that the unlock codes came on for each
phone.
Derek

Can you absolutely confirm they are the right phones via e.g. IMEIs
printed on the phone or similar?

Old February 20th 19, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
On 16/02/2019 20:53, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The request means the phone is locked.

Yes but it was previously unlocked but had not been used for about two
years. I have two other really old unlocked phones that they do work in
not ones I want to use and their batteries are failing.
My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

A net search doesn’t reveal any cases of a phone becoming spontaneously
network locked again, but there are reports of handsets being IMEI blocked
either due to being reported as stolen or human error by a network
operator.

I suspect the “input NP” message is spurious. I think you need to chase
this up with the last network provider.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 20th 19, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 16/02/2019 20:53, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The request means the phone is locked.

Yes but it was previously unlocked but had not been used for about two
years. I have two other really old unlocked phones that they do work in
not ones I want to use and their batteries are failing.
My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

A net search doesn’t reveal any cases of a phone becoming spontaneously
network locked again, but there are reports of handsets being IMEI blocked
either due to being reported as stolen or human error by a network
operator.

I suspect the “input NP” message is spurious. I think you need to chase
this up with the last network provider.

Tim
How can it be spurious ? Do you mean the provider of the last SIM? That

one is now in my main phone. After the same period out of use my wife's
old SIM is back and working in her old unlocked Hollywood phone and my
old SIM works in it as well.
When I had a Sainsbury's SIM in that phone they stopped it as they said
that it was being used for cold calling. They eventually believed that
my phone had been cloned and reinstated it.
Derek

Old February 20th 19, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 16/02/2019 20:53, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The request means the phone is locked.

Yes but it was previously unlocked but had not been used for about two
years. I have two other really old unlocked phones that they do work in
not ones I want to use and their batteries are failing.
My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

A net search doesn’t reveal any cases of a phone becoming spontaneously
network locked again, but there are reports of handsets being IMEI blocked
either due to being reported as stolen or human error by a network
operator.

I suspect the “input NP” message is spurious. I think you need to chase
this up with the last network provider.

Tim

How can it be spurious ?

Spurious as in, your handset is possibly/probably IMEI blocked, not network
locked but it’s giving you incorrect info regarding its status.

Of course I can’t be sure but I can’t find any instances of a handset
spontaneously network locking itself again after it’s been unlock.

Do you mean the provider of the last SIM?

I phrased it badly, I meant whichever network the phone was originally
locked to. Having said that, if it’s been IMEI blocked that could probably
be done by any network provider.

This is all just conjecture of course, but it seems more likely than your
idea that your phone has become network locked again. In the first
instance I think you need to speak to whichever company last provided a
working mobile service on that phone and ask the if it’s IMEI blocked. It
could well be that any network provider could give you that info. No harm
in asking.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 21st 19, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 21:59, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:

My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

You’ve maybe mixed up old handsets, one of which has never been unlocked
and the code is for a different handset?

Just a thought. It would explain why the handset has mysteriously
“relocked” itself and why the code doesn’t work.

Tim

No, I have the separate E-mails that the unlock codes came on for each
phone.
Derek

Can you absolutely confirm they are the right phones via e.g. IMEIs
printed on the phone or similar?

Yes.
Derek

Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a totally flat battery?
Old February 21st 19, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/02/2019 21:59, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:

My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

You’ve maybe mixed up old handsets, one of which has never been unlocked
and the code is for a different handset?

Just a thought. It would explain why the handset has mysteriously
“relocked” itself and why the code doesn’t work.

Tim

No, I have the separate E-mails that the unlock codes came on for each
phone.
Derek

Can you absolutely confirm they are the right phones via e.g. IMEIs
printed on the phone or similar?

Yes.
Derek

Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a totally flat battery?

I have not factory reset it but when unused the battery would have gone
down.
Derek
Old February 21st 19, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" Wrote in message:
Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a totally flat battery?

That shouldn't make any difference to unlocked status apparently
according to my reading...

Once unlocked, a handset stays unlocked even if the OS/memory is
flashed. This is why I think the handset is blocked rather than
network locked.

Tim

There would seem to be no reason for it to be blocked and the SIM works
in my new phone
Derek
Old February 21st 19, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/02/2019 23:50, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
[...]

They were not able to provide any help with my original phone number
that I had from about 1996 and used with at least three providers
"disapeared" when Sainsburys stopped their service and I missed the
short deadline to transfer it due to 3 having a problem at the time.
No one knew where numbers were buried until reincarnated.
I used to phone it from time to time and it was about two years before
it rang. 07947 65705* where are you now???
Derek