Old February 22nd 19, 06:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Unlocked phone asks for NP code

DerekF wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" Wrote in message:
Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a
totally flat battery?

That shouldn't make any difference to unlocked status apparently
according to my reading...

Once unlocked, a handset stays unlocked even if the OS/memory is
flashed. This is why I think the handset is blocked rather than
network locked.

Tim

There would seem to be no reason for it to be blocked and the SIM works
in my new phone

It’s not the SIM that’s been blocked then! As we/you have established,
there’s nothing wrong with your SIM which is why I’m saying it’s your
HANDSET that is blocked.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old February 22nd 19, 06:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 23:50, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 16/02/2019 20:53, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

The request means the phone is locked.

Yes but it was previously unlocked but had not been used for about two
years. I have two other really old unlocked phones that they do work in
not ones I want to use and their batteries are failing.
My question is really why does the original unlock code not work.
Derek

A net search doesn’t reveal any cases of a phone becoming spontaneously
network locked again, but there are reports of handsets being IMEI blocked
either due to being reported as stolen or human error by a network
operator.

I suspect the “input NP” message is spurious. I think you need to chase
this up with the last network provider.

Tim

How can it be spurious ?

Spurious as in, your handset is possibly/probably IMEI blocked, not network
locked but it’s giving you incorrect info regarding its status.

Of course I can’t be sure but I can’t find any instances of a handset
spontaneously network locking itself again after it’s been unlock.

Do you mean the provider of the last SIM?

I phrased it badly, I meant whichever network the phone was originally
locked to. Having said that, if it’s been IMEI blocked that could probably
be done by any network provider.

This is all just conjecture of course, but it seems more likely than your
idea that your phone has become network locked again. In the first
instance I think you need to speak to whichever company last provided a
working mobile service on that phone and ask the if it’s IMEI blocked. It
could well be that any network provider could give you that info. No harm
in asking.

Tim

They were not able to provide any help with my original phone number
that I had from about 1996 and used with at least three providers
"disapeared" when Sainsburys stopped their service and I missed the
short deadline to transfer it due to 3 having a problem at the time.

But it’s not the number you want help with I believe. I think you need to
give them the IMEI number and explicitly ask them if the handset has been
blocked (reported as stolen etc.) This data should be on all providers
systems.

(Dial *#06# to find your IMEI)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 22nd 19, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" Wrote in message:
Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a
totally flat battery?

That shouldn't make any difference to unlocked status apparently
according to my reading...

Once unlocked, a handset stays unlocked even if the OS/memory is
flashed. This is why I think the handset is blocked rather than
network locked.

Tim

There would seem to be no reason for it to be blocked and the SIM works
in my new phone
Derek

You could try this to see if the handset is blocked.

http://www.imeipro.info

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 22nd 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/02/2019 07:55, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" Wrote in message:
Have you factory reset the phone, or might this have happened due to a
totally flat battery?

That shouldn't make any difference to unlocked status apparently
according to my reading...

Once unlocked, a handset stays unlocked even if the OS/memory is
flashed. This is why I think the handset is blocked rather than
network locked.

Tim

There would seem to be no reason for it to be blocked and the SIM works
in my new phone
Derek

You could try this to see if the handset is blocked.

http://www.imeipro.info

Tim

The IME1 on my phone is 8637960112774148 but when I input *#06# to see
the number on the screen up comes IME1 SVN:78. That is unlike any I have
ever seen. What is the charge on that web site for an inquiry.
Derek

Derek
Old February 22nd 19, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/02/2019 07:51, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 23:50, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
[...]

No at that time I was passed from pillar to post around six different
organizations who could not help.
Derek

Old February 22nd 19, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/02/2019 07:51, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 23:50, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 20/02/2019 08:14, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
[...]

I used this site and it did not come up as
blacklisted.https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/
Derek
Old February 22nd 19, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

DerekF wrote:
On 22/02/2019 07:55, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Why haven’t you tried it? Your IMEI Number is too long, it should be only
15 digits.

FWIW, deleting the last digit results in a “clean” report. I.e. your
handset isn’t blocked. Buggered if I know why it doesn’t work. Bin it and
more on...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 22nd 19, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 22/02/2019 19:53, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 22/02/2019 07:55, Tim+ wrote:
DerekF wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:07, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I'll put my specs on ....it is 863796011274148 and that is what I
actually input on another site and got the clear message. That site only
answers on weekdays. So I 'm waiting for a reply as I asked if a new
unlock code would work after this time and my earlier one has
stopped/expired or whatever.
Derek