Old March 8th 19, 06:33 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Pairing Win 7 & Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 via Bluetooth

On 07/03/2019 21:52, Roger Mills wrote:

Does it need to be bluetooth?

Perhaps not. I'll explain my need and see what others suggest.

There is in my wider family's safekeeping, but which rightfully belongs
to me, a very beautiful antique book, which because of an unforeseen
horrendous problem I've decided must be sold to fund my house
renovations, but, beforehand, I'd like to photograph the hand-painted
pictures that it contains. I had considered scanning it, but it's too
big, so some of the images would need to be scanned piecemeal, and I'm
worried that the book might not survive such rough handling as to be
perched on a scanner.

So I've decided to try and photograph it using my tablet. I'll
construct some sort of frame to hold the tablet securely a suitable
height over the book, and try and find a suitable source of
illumination. The need therefore is a way of controlling the tablet's
camera from a PC, either via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable.

After managing late last night to pair the tablet with one of my W7
laptops, I tried some software called Camera Remote PC Sync (on the PC)
and Camera Remote (on the tablet). This pair of apps are supposed to be
able to connect either via Bluetooth or WiFi, but if the PC side tries
to connect to the tablet side via WiFi, the tablet app bombs, so it has
to be Bluetooth. I could do the job with this software, but it would
require a great deal of time and patience, because it's clunky in the
extreme - the PC window is too big for the height of my laptop's
screen even though that is fairly standard dimensions for a laptop
screen; some of the dialogs have black text on a black background; you
can only download one picture at a time, not mark a whole lot of them
and download them all at once, and each time you do a download, the
software begins by defaulting to the User's folder on the C: drive, thus
necessitating a wearisome navigation back to the D: drive to save it
where I actually want to save it; etc; etc!

So if anyone here can suggest suitable software to allow a PC to control
an Android tablet's camera relatively painlessly, I'd be very grateful
to know.

Old March 8th 19, 06:50 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Java Jive
wrote:

There is in my wider family's safekeeping, but which rightfully belongs
to me, a very beautiful antique book, which because of an unforeseen
horrendous problem I've decided must be sold to fund my house
renovations, but, beforehand, I'd like to photograph the hand-painted
pictures that it contains. I had considered scanning it, but it's too
big, so some of the images would need to be scanned piecemeal, and I'm
worried that the book might not survive such rough handling as to be
perched on a scanner.

So I've decided to try and photograph it using my tablet. I'll
construct some sort of frame to hold the tablet securely a suitable
height over the book, and try and find a suitable source of
illumination. The need therefore is a way of controlling the tablet's
camera from a PC, either via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable.

for the best results, don't use a tablet. use an slr and a copy stand
or better yet, have it scanned by a professional lab who specializes in
such things, who will have a scanner that's both big enough and
designed for books which won't damage it.

but if you're committed to doing it yourself with a tablet, just take
the photos of each page using the tablet without involving the computer
at all, then after everything has been copied, connect the tablet to
the computer and copy all of the photos.
Old March 8th 19, 06:58 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 18:41, Java Jive wrote:
On 08/03/2019 10:50, micky wrote:

I don't think the Dell Latitude E4300 came with bluetooth.

Some did, most, I think, did not.¬* The way to tell is to look at the
underside¬* -¬* if the area containing labels, electrical clearance
certificates, etc, has a label in every quadrant, then the laptop was
supplied ex-factory with Bluetooth, if, as is more usual, one quadrant
is blank and free of any labelling, then the laptop was supplied
ex-factory without Bluetooth, but you could still buy the module and
install it very easily yourself¬* -¬* it goes behind a cover in the
battery compartment, there's a connector there for it, even in the
models supplied without.

If it's the same module that went into the Inspiron 9400, I have one
spare if anyone wants it. Free to a good home. Don't think I have the
driver disc for it any more, but it should be downloadable.

Old March 8th 19, 08:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:
[...]

You can rent a book scanner. This scanner "snapscan SV600" is no
longer in production. It takes 3 seconds per page. And software is
there for curvature correction.

https://fujitsuscannerstore.com/rentsv600-aenbd/

Advert for one.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-Scann.../dp/B00FPW9946

Since the field of view is limited and text at the bottom of the page
may be "blurry" according to one review, you may need to rotate the
book and take images of the pages a second time.

*******

It's either that, or operate the tablet directly while
it is in your scan frame.

I find it's just about impossible to photo stuff with
a webcam, unless the webcam is firmly held via a tripod
or the like. I did documentation photos for a project,
with the webcam screwed to a tripod.

If you take two photos and absolutely nothing moves, you
can use Photoshop (A+B)/2 to average out sensor noise. That's
what I did for my webcam shots. Even though the scene was
well lit, the webcam still had a lot of noise. Averaging
just two photos together, gives some improvement. Averaging
sixteen photos, doesn't actually seem to do much more than
two photos averaged together.

I have a $150 Point and Shoot digital camera now, which is
miles better than a $100 webcam. The only problem with that
is, the autofocus gets confused by "complex" scenes
with a dark left half and a bright white right half. You
can't convince the camera to focus on the material in
the center of field. I suppose disabling the autofocus
would be one solution. But in terms of recognizing
"typical" applications of the camera, it's pretty good.
It's just not a replacement for a "lab microscope".

*******

Based on my experience with doing stuff like this, I find
you need "immediate feedback" of what is going on. Trying
to operate remotely is "a step too far". If you stand over
the equipment, you get to visually review that the book
is properly placed, that the page hasn't moved, while you
operate the device. If the tablet has a camera on the
side opposite the LCD panel, that would be ideal. If you
need more storage space for the photos (until download),
you can always plug in an SD or a USB flash stick.

Paul
Old March 8th 19, 08:31 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 21:18, Paul wrote:

Based on my experience with doing stuff like this, I find
you need "immediate feedback" of what is going on.

Yes, but that's what I'm hoping to get by linking the tablet to a PC -
the ideal would be to set up the book and the frame holding the tablet,
and a PC nearby. When each page is ready, I press a key on the PC and
the tablet takes the picture and sends it directly to the PC, where I
examine it for problems before turning the page to the next.

Thanks for your other remarks.

Old March 8th 19, 08:51 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 19:50, nospam wrote:
In , Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

I would agree with all of that.

If you *must* use a tablet, why not control it with a selfie-stick
rather than trying to control it with a computer? Simply store all the
images (or batches thereof) on the tablet, and then transfer them using
a USB cable or FTP over WiFi.

Or am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 8th 19, 09:23 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In message , Roger Mills
writes:
On 08/03/2019 19:50, nospam wrote:
In , Java Jive
wrote:

[]
renovations, but, beforehand, I'd like to photograph the hand-painted
pictures that it contains. I had considered scanning it, but it's too
big, so some of the images would need to be scanned piecemeal, and I'm
worried that the book might not survive such rough handling as to be
perched on a scanner.

There are scanners that look like a mouse; the one I have is by LG, and
is model LSM-150, but there are others (I think LSM-100 is one). You
move them over the object to be scanned, and the software supplied with
stitches the sweeps together as you scan - up to A3 size IIRR is
claimed. For some reason they seem to have stopped making them, but you
can still find them - often unopened - on ebay and the like. I see no
reason why you should not be able to use them via a sheet of clear
plastic if you are worried about sliding the "mouse" over the images
(they work like an optical mouse, i. e. it uses the image itself to know
where it is, there are no little wheels involved). Work fine with
Windows 7, and I think earlier and later.

So I've decided to try and photograph it using my tablet. I'll
construct some sort of frame to hold the tablet securely a suitable
height over the book, and try and find a suitable source of
illumination. The need therefore is a way of controlling the tablet's
camera from a PC, either via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable.

for the best results, don't use a tablet. use an slr and a copy stand
or better yet, have it scanned by a professional lab who specializes in
such things, who will have a scanner that's both big enough and
designed for books which won't damage it.

but if you're committed to doing it yourself with a tablet, just take

Yes, I did wonder why you can't use a camera. If this book is worth
enough to fund house developments, then even buying a camera ought not
to be out of the question - you can always sell it again afterwards; if
you buy second-hand (after all, you don't need modern gimmicks like face
recognition - and I suspect you don't need multi-megapixel, either: I'm
guessing these are to go on something like ebay), you shouldn't lose too
much. Or you could maybe hire one, but I have no knowledge of that.

the photos of each page using the tablet without involving the computer
at all, then after everything has been copied, connect the tablet to
the computer and copy all of the photos.

I would agree with all of that.

If you *must* use a tablet, why not control it with a selfie-stick
rather than trying to control it with a computer? Simply store all the
images (or batches thereof) on the tablet, and then transfer them using
a USB cable or FTP over WiFi.

And if you must use the tablet, with the software you have, then rather
than resetting it every time to put the images on D: where you want
them, let it put them where it wants on C:, and move them all in one go
afterwards.

Or am I missing something?

Or I (-:
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
Old March 8th 19, 09:27 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 21:51, Roger Mills wrote:

On 08/03/2019 19:50, nospam wrote:

for the best results, don't use a tablet. use an slr and a copy stand
or better yet, have it scanned by a professional lab who specializes in
such things, who will have a scanner that's both big enough and
designed for books which won't damage it.

I have a tablet, I do not have any of the other stuff, and cannot afford
anything better, because as much money generated from this sale as
possible has to go on the house. As it is the round trip to pick up the
book, photograph it, and take it to the auction house will likely cost
at least £200 in fuel even at LPG prices. There will be further fees
for provenance, valuation, auction, etc.

but if you're committed to doing it yourself with a tablet, just take
the photos of each page using the tablet without involving the computer
at all, then after everything has been copied, connect the tablet to
the computer and copy all of the photos.

No, I need to see each picture on a decent screen as soon as it is
photographed or scanned, so I can be sure it's good enough before going
on to the next.

I would agree with all of that.

Sorry, but I wouldn't. I put this question to the ng after much
thought, and am not interested in solutions involving much further
expenditure.

If you *must* use a tablet, why not control it with a selfie-stick
rather than trying to control it with a computer? Simply store all the
images (or batches thereof) on the tablet, and then transfer them using
a USB cable or FTP over WiFi.

I had thought about a selfie-stick held by something like a chemistry
lab retort stand, but I don't know where I'd borrow one of the latter.
Old March 8th 19, 09:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

[...]

those are not very good, and scanning a large format book with such a
device is crazy.
Old March 8th 19, 10:03 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 22:23, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Yes, I did wonder why you can't use a camera. If this book is worth
enough to fund house developments, then even buying a camera ought not
to be out of the question - you can always sell it again afterwards; if
you buy second-hand (after all, you don't need modern gimmicks like face
recognition - and I suspect you don't need multi-megapixel, either: I'm
guessing these are to go on something like ebay), you shouldn't lose too
much. Or you could maybe hire one, but I have no knowledge of that.

I used to be interested in photography, and had all sorts of expensive
gear included telephoto zoom lenses, etc, but when I wanted to sell it
all after it had lain idle for a while, the interior of the most
expensive lenses had acquired slight fungal growth, vastly devaluing
their worth so that the sale still wasn't enough to buy my first PC. I
already have too many expensive things like musical instruments at risk
of a similar sort of fate. Just now, I have to make sure that every
penny I can raise goes on the house.

And if you must use the tablet, with the software you have, then rather
than resetting it every time to put the images on D: where you want
them, let it put them where it wants on C:, and move them all in one go
afterwards.

The C: drive is, of course, the system drive, and I'm trying to keep it
under 64GB, so there isn't a great deal of spare disk space on it.
Also, it looks as though I might have to reimage it before long, so all
in all I don't want to save any data there. Also, I don't want to rely
on such crap software anyway. I'd rather find something similar that is
written by someone who has some idea of how to write something that
works properly.