Old March 9th 19, 12:34 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Pairing Win 7 & Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 via Bluetooth

In message , Java Jive
writes:
On 08/03/2019 22:23, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[]
And if you must use the tablet, with the software you have, then
rather than resetting it every time to put the images on D: where you
want them, let it put them where it wants on C:, and move them all in
one go afterwards.

The C: drive is, of course, the system drive, and I'm trying to keep it
under 64GB, so there isn't a great deal of spare disk space on it.
Also, it looks as though I might have to reimage it before long, so all
in all I don't want to save any data there. Also, I don't want to rely
on such crap software anyway. I'd rather find something similar that
is written by someone who has some idea of how to write something that
works properly.

I wasn't suggesting you leave it on C: - I don't like storing and data
on C: either; however, letting it store it there and then moving over
once a day - or once an hour if you're really paranoid - shouldn't take
that much space, while still letting you take several pictures in a row
without having to restart the software for each one.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"

Old March 9th 19, 07:49 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:

So if anyone here can suggest

If it's *that* good a book, beg, borrow or rent a DSLR with tripod and
LED ring light ...

Old March 9th 19, 09:35 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/03/2019 01:34, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I wasn't suggesting you leave it on C: - I don't like storing and data
on C: either; however, letting it store it there and then moving over
once a day - or once an hour if you're really paranoid - shouldn't take
that much space, while still letting you take several pictures in a row
without having to restart the software for each one.

I know what you're suggesting, and if I absolutely have to do it that
way, it probably could be done, though I'd have to keep an eye on the
disk-space being used - using up all the available space on the system
drive of a Windows computer will bring it quickly to its knees. But the
software is terribly clunky anyway, I'm hoping for something better.
Old March 9th 19, 11:59 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/03/2019 22:27, Java Jive wrote:
On 08/03/2019 21:51, Roger Mills wrote:

On 08/03/2019 19:50, nospam wrote:

for the best results, don't use a tablet. use an slr and a copy stand
or better yet, have it scanned by a professional lab who specializes in
such things, who will have a scanner that's both big enough and
designed for books which won't damage it.

I have a tablet, I do not have any of the other stuff, and cannot afford
anything better, because as much money generated from this sale as
possible has to go on the house. As it is the round trip to pick up the
book, photograph it, and take it to the auction house will likely cost
at least £200 in fuel even at LPG prices. There will be further fees for
provenance, valuation, auction, etc.

but if you're committed to doing it yourself with a tablet, just take
the photos of each page using the tablet without involving the computer
at all, then after everything has been copied, connect the tablet to
the computer and copy all of the photos.

No, I need to see each picture on a decent screen as soon as it is
photographed or scanned, so I can be sure it's good enough before going
on to the next.

I would agree with all of that.

Sorry, but I wouldn't. I put this question to the ng after much thought,
and am not interested in solutions involving much further expenditure.

If you *must* use a tablet, why not control it with a selfie-stick
rather than trying to control it with a computer? Simply store all the
images (or batches thereof) on the tablet, and then transfer them
using a USB cable or FTP over WiFi.

I had thought about a selfie-stick held by something like a chemistry
lab retort stand, but I don't know where I'd borrow one of the latter.

What I had in mind was was use just the selfie-stick's remote control to
operate the tablet's camera via bluetooth. You can often buy them for
peanuts at charity shops.

If desired, you could immediately transfer each photo tom the PC via
WiFi/FTP to examine it before taking the next picture. You control the
FTP process from the PC end.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 9th 19, 12:20 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In message , Java Jive
writes:
On 09/03/2019 01:34, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I wasn't suggesting you leave it on C: - I don't like storing and
data on C: either; however, letting it store it there and then moving
over once a day - or once an hour if you're really paranoid -
shouldn't take that much space, while still letting you take several
pictures in a row without having to restart the software for each one.

I know what you're suggesting, and if I absolutely have to do it that
way, it probably could be done, though I'd have to keep an eye on the
disk-space being used - using up all the available space on the
system drive of a Windows computer will bring it quickly to its knees.
But the software is terribly clunky anyway, I'm hoping for something
better.

I know what you mean, but if your system drive is so full that ten or
twenty pictures will fill it completely, you need to take a serious look
at what's filling it. I've just looked - although I have my C: partition
set to 99.9G, that's only because I increased it when I fitted a "1T"
(931G really of course) drive, to give some room for sloppy management.
It's only 33.4G used. And I've been using 7 for some while now. If
you've got nearly 64G on C:, you really need to know why!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.

Old March 9th 19, 05:44 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In alt.windows7.general, on Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:28:09 +0200, micky
wrote:

Radiomaximus on the PC is almost that good but it doesn't have
WYPR for some reason, the local NPR station for Baltimore. .

BTW, one can add his own entries to Radiomaximus the program and I've
succeeded a couple times by finding the Listen Live url on the web and
copying to an entry in RadioMax.. but not every time. The author also
has revised, longer lists of included stations (from all over the world)
so by now WYPR might be in that list. So it give suggestions by
country, genre, etc. Simple Radio the app seems to expect me to know
what station I'm looking for, but maybe not. I just got the thing.
Old March 9th 19, 06:04 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In alt.windows7.general, on Fri, 08 Mar 2019 12:50:17 +0200, micky
wrote:

After several t ries finally got a new entry on my phone.
The category is Rarely Used Other Devices
The name is 00:11:22:98;76:54

Tonight I got a new result.

The phone lists Connected Devices:

e4300-PC (my laptop)
00:22:5f:38:b2:3a

But I still don't know how to play the output.

Also, even after this showed up on the phone, I checked the Bluetooth
settinfgs for the laptop and Allow devices to discover this computer"
was again unchecked.

Checking it and clicking apply made the fuction freeze and eventually
fail. When I clicked Okay, it said I had indeed changed the setting,
but i unchecked it, checked it again and said Apply, and again it is
Not Responding. But how did the phone connect to the PC if the PC was
set to not be discoverable?
Old March 9th 19, 06:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In alt.windows7.general, on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 19:58:47 +0000,
MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 08/03/2019 18:41, Java Jive wrote:
On 08/03/2019 10:50, micky wrote:

I don't think the Dell Latitude E4300 came with bluetooth.

Some did, most, I think, did not.* The way to tell is to look at the
underside* -* if the area containing labels, electrical clearance
certificates, etc, has a label in every quadrant, then the laptop was
supplied ex-factory with Bluetooth, if, as is more usual, one quadrant
is blank and free of any labelling, then the laptop was supplied
ex-factory without Bluetooth, but you could still buy the module and
install it very easily yourself* -* it goes behind a cover in the
battery compartment, there's a connector there for it, even in the
models supplied without.

If it's the same module that went into the Inspiron 9400, I have one
spare if anyone wants it. Free to a good home. Don't think I have the
driver disc for it any more, but it should be downloadable.

That's a wonderful offer. I've spent the last ten minutes
a) trying to fidn out if I already have built-in bluetooth. When I
unplugged the little add-on thing, any indication that I had it
disappeared, so I probably don't.
b) trying to find out if it's the same device that fits the Inspiron
9400. I think I can do that too.

I don't think I can do all this tonight, but could you send me your
email address so I can reach you in the future? The bigfoot address at
the top here may be no good at all these days (I'll have to change it
when I'm sure), but meirman att-t-t erols dot com will work.

Thanks a lot.
Old March 9th 19, 06:41 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In alt.windows7.general, on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:34:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Seems the MS bluetooth audio profile can only act as a "source", not as
a "sink" ...

Forgot the link

<https://superuser.com/questions/1331686

I didn't read this link right away. It's great! It looks like he did
just what I want using Win7 and an iphone but how much different can an
iphone be from Android. And he only posted 7 months ago. I'm going
to reread the url a few times.

BTW, despite his win10 troubles, this may be one of the few places I've
noticed where win10 is better than 7 because it seems to ahve all the
bluetooth stuff in one place. (But I coudl be wrong. I generally hate
anyt hing on a big blue page in win10, and they seem to load verrry
slowly for no good reason.)
Old March 9th 19, 08:01 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile

In alt.windows7.general, on Sat, 09 Mar 2019 12:59:25 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

Seems to me if you start at the beginning and take 1 or n pictures per
page, when you later look at the pictures and see that one or more is
bad, you can make a list of the bad ones and go back to those pages and
reshoot them.

Of course I'd check the first one right away, and recheck it until I got
it right, and maybe the second. But after that, I don't see why each
photo has to be checked right away.

If page numbers are not sufficient, there is the picture before and the
picture after. I'm sure they are unique so the one in the mdidle is the
one that didn't come out right.