Old March 10th 19, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Hacking the BT Home Hub 5a (was Routers)

On 06/03/2019 23:56, Java Jive wrote:
I've now acquired a second of these and successfully hacked it also, as
a backup for the first.* Given that the original thread got very long
and convoluted, I thought I'd try and summarise in one, albeit long,
post how to hack successfully a BT Home Hub 5a (BTHH5a), put an OpenWRT
image on it, get a Huawei E3372s working with it, and add a public WiFi
network.

I failed at my first attempt as the wire I attached ripped the circuit
copper of the circuit board when I accidentally knocked it. Where did
you get your very thin wires from?

--
Michael Chare

Old March 10th 19, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/03/2019 00:05, Michael Chare wrote:

I failed at my first attempt as the wire I attached ripped the circuit
copper of the circuit board when I accidentally knocked it.* Where did
you get your very thin wires from?

Yes, others have mentioned this danger as well, so I deliberately chose
to use flex rather than solid core, and for good measure the thinnest I
could find, which was ...

For the first I chose flex which in a former existence in a vinyl record
turntable deck had connected the cartridge holder on the end of the
playing arm to a connecting block on the underside of the deck.
However, as with so many record decks, it hummed, so I rewired the
playing arm with shielded cable, which did indeed remove the hum. There
was actually enough flex there to do both routers, but having got the
first working, I didn't want to hack it about again, so ...

For the second I used cable that previously in an old tape-recorder had
connected the recording/playback head to the PCB, which for the same
reason I had similarly rewired.

In both cases I kept the old cables all these years, as it happened long
after their original hardware had gone to the great scrapyard in the
sky, in a bits 'n' bobs of cables drawer, because I'm mean like that :-)

Until recently you used to be able to get the very thin shielded cable I
used as replacements from Maplin, from which you could've extracted the
cores, but they too have gone to the great scrapyard in the sky. If,
like me, you have kept all your old audio DIN cables used with old audio
kit, eg Grundig tape-recorders, which consisted of 2 (cheap) or 4 (full
spec) cores, which IIRC were individually screened and very thin, you
could remove the outer insulation and the shielding and use the cores.
Failing that, strip the cores out of a cheap new one - for example, I
would imagine the cores in this are pretty thin:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Pho.../dp/B00M0FXR8A
Old March 10th 19, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Java Jive wrote:
On 10/03/2019 00:05, Michael Chare wrote:

I failed at my first attempt as the wire I attached ripped the circuit
copper of the circuit board when I accidentally knocked it.* Where did
you get your very thin wires from?

Yes, others have mentioned this danger as well, so I deliberately chose
to use flex rather than solid core, and for good measure the thinnest I
could find, which was ...

In a previous existence I used to design and build computer interface
cards and the like, generally using surface-mount components. When I
needed to make modifications I found the wire used for wire-wrap (30 AWG
solid) was good, and the wrapping tool had a special blade in its body
for stripping the insulation. If there was a need for flexibility I
stripped apart some ribbon cable - the sort once used for IDE disk
drives and the like.

--
Graham J