Old March 16th 19, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Data SIM for EU

On 2019-03-16 06:10:40 +0000, Chronos said:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:06:24 +0000
Hans Sluiman wrote:

Is this of any use:
https://www.bitebird.com

Hellishly expensive. 3's basic roaming @1p/MB is, for example, a third
of the price in Italy/Sardinia.

I see no advantage in a dedicated MiFi device now that "a SIM is a SIM
is a SIM" and a smartphone in hotspot mode will do exactly the same
thing - unless you're going to be running on battery almost
exclusively, where a MiFi makes sense due to not having to power
multiple cores and all the other peripherals in a smartphone.

Roaming in Italy with a Bitebird device costs €0.03/MB. Further,
roaming in the EU with a UK simcard will not give you the highest speed
(with my Three SIM I only ever get 3G at the most), whereas the
Bitebird MiFi supports 4G.

Old March 17th 19, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Hans Sluiman wrote:

Is this of any use:
https://www.bitebird.com

Hellishly expensive. 3's basic roaming @1p/MB is, for example, a third
of the price in Italy/Sardinia.

I see no advantage in a dedicated MiFi device now that "a SIM is a SIM
is a SIM" and a smartphone in hotspot mode will do exactly the same
thing - unless you're going to be running on battery almost
exclusively, where a MiFi makes sense due to not having to power
multiple cores and all the other peripherals in a smartphone.

This is a similar product, although with much more reasonable rates.

US$15 for 5GB for any country worldwide where they have coverage isn't
bad at all.

https://www.mypokefi.com/

Old March 17th 19, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Hans Sluiman wrote:

Is this of any use:
https://www.bitebird.com

Hellishly expensive. 3's basic roaming @1p/MB is, for example, a third
of the price in Italy/Sardinia.

I see no advantage in a dedicated MiFi device now that "a SIM is a SIM
is a SIM" and a smartphone in hotspot mode will do exactly the same
thing - unless you're going to be running on battery almost
exclusively, where a MiFi makes sense due to not having to power
multiple cores and all the other peripherals in a smartphone.

This is a similar product, although with much more reasonable rates.

US$15 for 5GB for any country worldwide where they have coverage isn't
bad at all.

https://www.mypokefi.com/

Having looked into global interconnect rates, that seems too cheap to be
true....
Old March 18th 19, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Hans Sluiman wrote:

Is this of any use:
https://www.bitebird.com

Hellishly expensive. 3's basic roaming @1p/MB is, for example, a third
of the price in Italy/Sardinia.

I see no advantage in a dedicated MiFi device now that "a SIM is a SIM
is a SIM" and a smartphone in hotspot mode will do exactly the same
thing - unless you're going to be running on battery almost
exclusively, where a MiFi makes sense due to not having to power
multiple cores and all the other peripherals in a smartphone.

This is a similar product, although with much more reasonable rates.

US$15 for 5GB for any country worldwide where they have coverage isn't
bad at all.

https://www.mypokefi.com/

Having looked into global interconnect rates, that seems too cheap to be
true....

I've owned a unit for just over a year and have used it in the USA,
China, Spain, Thailand, The Philippines, Cambodia, Singapore, Macao
and Qatar. It's worked fine for me in all those places, although I
have read reports from people who've had problems with it in some
places.

In the UK I have a local SIM from 1pMobile. Their data packages cost
15 for a 4GB data pack, so the Pokefi is actually cheaper.
Old March 18th 19, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 08:11:03 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:26:41 +0800
Chris in Makati wrote:

In the UK I have a local SIM from 1pMobile. Their data packages cost
15 for a 4GB data pack, so the Pokefi is actually cheaper.

One more little advantage with that device: There is no time limit on
the credit.

There is a time lime limit, but it's quite generous.

Data packages are valid for between 1 year and 10 years, depending on
which pack you buy.

Old March 18th 19, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/03/2019 10:32, Malcolm Loades wrote:
We'll be renting a property in Sardinia for a couple of weeks which
doesn't have WiFi. Suggestions, please for a PAYG SIM with lots of
inclusive/pre-paid data which may be used within the EU. This would be
used for tethering.

Malcolm

PS We'll ignore for a moment that we may not be in the EU in a couple of
weeks time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I believe the best deal for what I want is a free giffgaff SIM and then
to buy a £20 goodybag which includes 20GB of data, all of which may be
used roaming within the EU, plus tethering is allowed. Also includes
unlimited calls and texts, not that I'll make much use of that.

Malcolm