Old March 27th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Curious phone problems

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:36:41 -0000, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Roger Mills wrote:
I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.

I've had a 64GB card in my Moto G4 Play since I got it, 2-3 years ago,
and I've never had any problem with it.

On the other hand, I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that would
occasionally fail to recognize its SD card, and on one or two occasions
became rather hot and exhausted its battery while in this "What SD
card?" state. Replacing the SD card with another (of a different make,
which may or may not have a bearing o the issue) fixed the problem.

I suspect the problem is more that phones and faulty SD cards are not
very comfortable bedfellows, and that this can apply to a phone of any
make. The quality of SD cards is variable.

Is there software able to check the card (either for the phone or the
PC)?

Old March 28th 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

In , Roger Mills wrote:
I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.

I've had a 64GB card in my Moto G4 Play since I got it, 2-3 years ago,
and I've never had any problem with it.

On the other hand, I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that would
occasionally fail to recognize its SD card, and on one or two occasions
became rather hot and exhausted its battery while in this "What SD
card?" state. Replacing the SD card with another (of a different make,
which may or may not have a bearing o the issue) fixed the problem.

I suspect the problem is more that phones and faulty SD cards are not
very comfortable bedfellows, and that this can apply to a phone of any
make. The quality of SD cards is variable.

Is there software able to check the card (either for the phone or the
PC)?

It depends on how the card is formatted. Some versions of Android allow
you to use the card as an extension of internal memory. If you do that,
it formats it in a way which makes it specific to that phone. It doesn't
work if you transfer it to another phone, and you can't read it on a
computer.[1]

The alternative is to format it just for data - in which it uses a
standard (FAT32?) which *can* be read by a computer. But you then can't
install apps on it - you can only use it for photos, videos, music, etc.

[1] Assuming the phone can access the card, you can use FTP to copy
files from the card to your computer, but if you remove the card from
the phone and plug it into your computer, it doesn't work.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 30th 19, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Scott wrote:
Is there software able to check the card (either for the phone or the
PC)?

I'm not sure what you can do in the phone ... but if you pull the card
out and put it in a cardreader attached to a PC then you can use any
disk-checking software you like. I suggest choosing something that's
intended for flash memory devices (rather than spinning disks) as
there's less likelihood that it will wear the disk out by repeatedly
writing to the same block.

Note that from Android 6 onwards an SD card can be formatted as an
extension to internal memory or as "portable storage" (which is what
Android 5 and earlier used). The internal memory format is encrypted
and disk testing software won't be able to make sense of it (but may be
able to perform a low-level (possibly destructive) test).

Portable storage uses FAT32 for cards up to 32GB, and exFAT for
anything larger. With these you can check for errors with a simple
(Windows) chkdsk or (Linux) fsck, if you have no more specific software
to try.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old March 31st 19, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 16:51:13 -0000, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That was my impression. I formatted the card on the computer
and the phone wouldn't accept it, then I formatted the card on the
phone and the computer wouldn't accept it. Does the fact that it
formatted successfully on the computer as a full format provide
reassurance that the card is okay?
Old April 2nd 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Scott wrote:
I formatted the card on the computer and the phone wouldn't accept
it, then I formatted the card on the phone and the computer wouldn't
accept it.

How annoying! What OS is the computer running, and what is the capacity
of the card?

Does the fact that it formatted successfully on the computer as a
full format provide reassurance that the card is okay?

Probably ... depending on how you formatted it and with what. One would
hope that a "full format" would include validation of the media, but
sadly one can't rely on that in all cases.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old April 2nd 19, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 12:37:46 +0100, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
I formatted the card on the computer and the phone wouldn't accept
it, then I formatted the card on the phone and the computer wouldn't
accept it.

How annoying! What OS is the computer running, and what is the capacity
of the card?

The computer is Windows 10. The format was FAT32. Memory is 32GB
(the largest I think that can be formatted as FAT32 on W10). I think
the problem is that if you select 'use as internal memory' on Android
it needs a different formatting system.

Does the fact that it formatted successfully on the computer as a
full format provide reassurance that the card is okay?

Probably ... depending on how you formatted it and with what. One would
hope that a "full format" would include validation of the media, but
sadly one can't rely on that in all cases.

It was full format on Windows 10 and took a long time.

It's working fine now but the phone is getting slower and slower. I
think my bigger problem may lie elsewhere.
Old April 3rd 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

For future check out with the official:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

It's working fine now but the phone is getting slower and slower. I
think my bigger problem may lie elsewhere.

Lack of free RAM/Internal memory? Clear cache, remove apps. Stop
automatic updates and wind unused inbuilt apps back to installed
default.

--
AnthonyL
Old April 6th 19, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Scott wrote:
The format was FAT32. Memory is 32GB
(the largest I think that can be formatted as FAT32 on W10).

Windows will use exFAT for 64GB and larger, if it's installed.

I think the problem is that if you select 'use as internal memory'
on Android it needs a different formatting system.

It does -- and an encrypted one, at that -- but it should format the
card for you when you select that.

It was full format on Windows 10 and took a long time.

Writing and verifying every block of a 32GB volume on a flash card won't
be fast.

It's working fine now but the phone is getting slower and slower. I
think my bigger problem may lie elsewhere.

Android devices do tend to slow down as the number of running processes
increases and the amount of free RAM decreases.

You can improve matters by running fewer apps at once (though Android is
fairly clever at unloading apps that aren't actively doing anything),
especially those that rely on services running in the background.
Turning the phone off and on again may help for a while, but a lot of
apps nowadays have services that auto-start when you turn the phone on.

Next time, buy a phone with more RAM. My first Android phone, 8 years
ago, had only 384MB of RAM, but my current one struggles to do as much
in 1GB. Apps are getting bigger and more sophisticated. That's life.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old April 7th 19, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 17:01:28 +0100, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

You could be on to something. The RAM is said to be 898 MB with 724
MB in use (81%).