Old March 25th 19, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Curious phone problems

My phone (Moto G4 Play) suddenly stopped confirming messages were
sent, even though they were. It continues to show 'Sending'. As it
happens Vodafone is carrying out work in this area, so maybe there is
a connection?

However, I then lost my ring tone (downloaded, not standard) and
message alert tone (also downloaded) and three apps (two BBC). I
tried to reinstall one of the apps and got an error message. I
cleared the cache and installation worked. I tried a second app, same
error message and this time cleared cache and data for Google Store.
This worked. The third app then reappeared.

I tried to take a photo and got a message that the memory was full,
which it is not. I found the SD card was not recognised. I took out
the SD card, reinserted it and hit the phone a few times. I reset
the phone and now the SD card is back and the camera works.

Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

Old March 25th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/03/2019 12:24, Scott wrote:
[...]

I suspect it's down to the SD card. If the phone can't read that, any
apps (and ringtones?) installed on that won't work.

I used to have a Moto G2 on which all the data was encrypted. On several
occasions I got worrying messages telling me that, even though I had
input the correct password, decryption had failed and that I would need
to reset the phone to factory defaults. This first happened while I was
in Australia where it would have been a disaster having to reinstall
everything without WiFi. Fortunately I discovered that it usually worked
after removing and reinserting the SD card - but I did end up having to
buy a new card a couple of times when even that didn't work.

I've now got a Moto G6+ with 64GB of storage (compared with the G2's
8GB) so I don't use an SD card at all even though there's a slot for
one. I still have the old G2 for backup - but with no SD card, so it
only has basic apps on it.

I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 25th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:51:49 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Do you think dropping the phone could have dislodged the SD
card, or is it more likely to be a software issue?
Old March 26th 19, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:51:49 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:
[snip]

I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.

This does seem to be the problem. It happened again today, easily
resolved by removing and reinserting the micro SD card. Can I find
out if the problem is mechanical contact or defective card?
Old March 26th 19, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message
Scott wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:51:49 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:
[snip]

I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.

This does seem to be the problem. It happened again today, easily
resolved by removing and reinserting the micro SD card. Can I find
out if the problem is mechanical contact or defective card?

If removing and reinserting the card resolves the problem, the only
thing you've done is to cause the contacts to be wiped, which most
commonly wipes a bit of muck (of some sort) away. So my first
suggestion is that the problem is cleanliness - or, rather, lack of
it.

My advice to everybody about electrical contacts (which includes
the ends of batteries) is to never touch them - as in never ever
not even once. Oils from the skin can cause contacts to cease to
make contact. And if you ever do touch a contact, clean it in an
appropriate way immediately. This usually means a wipe, and /never/
requires the use of abrasives of any kind. A soft eraser may do
the job, but clean all the bits off - without touching the contacts
again...

It is possible, but very unlikely, that the contacts in the phone
are bent out of shape, but this is unlikely since they are so well
protected. The chances of an intermittent contact inside the SD
card itself are vanishingly small.

Dave

Old March 26th 19, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 16:22:24 GMT, David Higton
wrote:

In message
Scott wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:51:49 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:
[snip]

[...]

Thanks. The situation has moved on, but not in a good way.

I've had the card out several times. I have never touched the
contacts as I know not to. Restarting the phone brings the MicroSD
card back temporarily (which suggests the contacts are okay) but it
then disappears after a very short time. The card is nowhere near
full. I'm wondering about reformatting the card. Could I do this in
my PC or would the formatting be wrong for Android?

Do I need to keep a copy of the contents of the MicroSD card or can
this be restored from my Google account, where supposedly it is backed
up. What does format as portable do?

Or is it time for a new phone?
Old March 26th 19, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 17:08:33 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 16:22:24 GMT, David Higton
wrote:

In message
Scott wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:51:49 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:
[snip]

[...]

PS I have discovered = FAT32
Old March 26th 19, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

PPS Sorry to reply to my own posts, but here's an update.

I looked at what was on the MicroSD and decided it was expendible. I
reformatted and reinstalled the card. The phone seems fine apart from
a couple of missing ringtones (which I can try to download again).
Old March 27th 19, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
PPS Sorry to reply to my own posts, but here's an update.

I looked at what was on the MicroSD and decided it was expendible. I
reformatted and reinstalled the card. The phone seems fine apart from
a couple of missing ringtones (which I can try to download again).

It's possible the card is on its way out so be prepared to get a
replacement.

Old March 27th 19, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Roger Mills wrote:
I think the moral of the story is that Moto G phones and SD cards are
not very comfortable bedfellows.

I've had a 64GB card in my Moto G4 Play since I got it, 2-3 years ago,
and I've never had any problem with it.

On the other hand, I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that would
occasionally fail to recognize its SD card, and on one or two occasions
became rather hot and exhausted its battery while in this "What SD
card?" state. Replacing the SD card with another (of a different make,
which may or may not have a bearing o the issue) fixed the problem.

I suspect the problem is more that phones and faulty SD cards are not
very comfortable bedfellows, and that this can apply to a phone of any
make. The quality of SD cards is variable.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.