Old March 28th 19, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default OT - GSM Roaming in Mexico - Not

Hi,

I have a basic phone - a Samsung GT E-1200i which I happily roam around the
world with (voice and text only - obviously)

but not when I got to Mexico - no signal for the whole of my time there.

I have an Asda PAYG SIM in it. My data phone, with the same SIM type worked
perfectly, so that's not the issue. (but unfortunately no-one has that
number to call me on, so I don't get incoming calls on it)

I note that Mexico uses GSM 850/1900 not the 900/1800 used in Europe, but
then so does all of Central America and the phone worked perfectly well when
we travelled into Guatemala.

What is special about Mexico that stopped me from roaming there?

are there any other (especially Central/South American countries) that I
will suffer the same problem. I have a few more planned for my forthcoming
trips

TIA

tim

Old March 28th 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 13:19:07 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

My guess is that the partner for EE in Mexico has dropped GSM, so your 3 UMTS phone works, but not your 2G Samsung.
Old March 28th 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"tim..." wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have a basic phone - a Samsung GT E-1200i which I happily roam around the
world with (voice and text only - obviously)

but not when I got to Mexico - no signal for the whole of my time there.

I have an Asda PAYG SIM in it. My data phone, with the same SIM type
worked perfectly, so that's not the issue. (but unfortunately no-one has
that number to call me on, so I don't get incoming calls on it)

I note that Mexico uses GSM 850/1900 not the 900/1800 used in Europe, but
then so does all of Central America and the phone worked perfectly well
when we travelled into Guatemala.

What is special about Mexico that stopped me from roaming there?

are there any other (especially Central/South American countries) that I
will suffer the same problem. I have a few more planned for my forthcoming
trips

GSM is being decommissioned in a number of countries outside of Europe - I
hit problems with no service in Singapore and Australia in 2017. I believe
the USA has/is also switching off its GSM networks.

Old March 28th 19, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 28/03/2019 13:17, tim... wrote:
Hi,

I have a basic phone - a Samsung GT E-1200i which I happily roam around
the world with (voice and text only - obviously)

but not when I got to Mexico - no signal for the whole of my time there.

I have an Asda PAYG SIM in it.* My data phone, with the same SIM type
worked perfectly, so that's not the issue.* (but unfortunately no-one
has that number to call me on, so I don't get incoming calls on it)

I note that Mexico uses GSM 850/1900 not the 900/1800 used in Europe,
but then so does all of Central America and the phone worked perfectly
well when we travelled into Guatemala.

Not necessarily true - according to Wikipedia (and some other sources),
Claro offer service on GSM 900 in Guatemala, wheereas there are no
Mexican operators that have service on 900/1800 which I believe is all
the frequencies your phone supports.

Old March 28th 19, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
On 28/03/2019 13:17, tim... wrote:
Hi,

I have a basic phone - a Samsung GT E-1200i which I happily roam around
the world with (voice and text only - obviously)

but not when I got to Mexico - no signal for the whole of my time there.

I have an Asda PAYG SIM in it. My data phone, with the same SIM type
worked perfectly, so that's not the issue. (but unfortunately no-one has
that number to call me on, so I don't get incoming calls on it)

I note that Mexico uses GSM 850/1900 not the 900/1800 used in Europe, but
then so does all of Central America and the phone worked perfectly well
when we travelled into Guatemala.

Not necessarily true - according to Wikipedia (and some other sources),
Claro offer service on GSM 900 in Guatemala, wheereas there are no Mexican
operators that have service on 900/1800 which I believe is all the
frequencies your phone supports.

Oh OK

I did wonder about that but I didn't find the full phone specification
anywhere when I first looked

not helped by the model number being displayed nowhere except for about half
a second when you turn it on and it took me 7 on/off cycles to capture it
all

Time for a new phone then

(what I need is a smartphone that isn't the size of a brick - and under 200
quid)

tim

Old March 28th 19, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 28/03/2019 13:17, tim... wrote:
[...]

Samsung J series or just Google SIM free phones on CPW (maybe not buy from them though).