Old March 31st 19, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Banking app showing own balances in various banks

There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

--
/\/\aurice (Retired in E.Hants)

Old March 31st 19, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Maurice wrote:

There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

I notice Barclays app is also offering to show balances from 3rd party banks

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

I suspect the answer involves <https://www.openbanking.org.uk
Old March 31st 19, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 13:46:54 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I suspect the answer involves <https://www.openbanking.org.uk

Yes - seems so! Thank you.

I think I shall give it a miss for the time being, but monitor
progress...

/\/\aurice
Old March 31st 19, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Maurice" wrote in message
There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

because you give it permission

that's how it works

For some reason TPTB seem to think that we want this security risk to
accounts

tim

Old April 1st 19, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

I've already got an app that accesses all my accounts simultaneously.
It's called a Web browser.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 2nd 19, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 15:22:54 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Maurice" wrote in message
There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

because you give it permission

that's how it works

For some reason TPTB seem to think that we want this security risk to
accounts

I certainly remember refusing it at the same time as I declined to set
any password to overcome the PINSentry device. Any transfer of data
without my consent would result in an immediate complaint to the
Banking Ombudsman.
Old April 2nd 19, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Graham." wrote in message
There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

I've already got an app that accesses all my accounts simultaneously.
It's called a Web browser.

Hm,

If I tried to open all of my accounts in individual windows, it would take
me so long to get to the last one that the first one would have timed out
and closed

:-)

tim

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 2nd 19, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message
There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those balances?

I've already got an app that accesses all my accounts simultaneously.
It's called a Web browser.

Hm,

If I tried to open all of my accounts in individual windows, it would take
me so long to get to the last one that the first one would have timed out
and closed

Use a password manager. Much quicker

Old April 2nd 19, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris wrote:

tim... wrote:

If I tried to open all of my accounts in individual windows, it would take
me so long to get to the last one that the first one would have timed out
and closed

Use a password manager. Much quicker

Do any PW managers cope with the first, fifth, second characters from
your PW that banks tend to use?

Old April 2nd 19, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message
There is an advert by NatWest for an app that displays balances in
one's
various other bank accounts.

How does it gain the account holder's permission to obtain those
balances?

I've already got an app that accesses all my accounts simultaneously.
It's called a Web browser.

Hm,

If I tried to open all of my accounts in individual windows, it would
take
me so long to get to the last one that the first one would have timed out
and closed

Use a password manager. Much quicker

that isn't going to shorten the time that it takes to got through 15 login
screens, is it

tim