Old April 3rd 19, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Three voicemail aggravation

On 03/04/2019 20:55, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I used to work in a computer parts shop, we had a lady customer that
would phone the technical support team - unfortunately her low voice was
fairly indeterminate.

So on occasions someone would get a bollocking for responding "yes, sir".

Er, whoops - you've reminded me of this :-)

I do have a fairly low voice for a woman, but I'm not alone - why do
people on the phone always assume..? They have my details on the screen
from the registration details on my account FFS.

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

Old April 4th 19, 06:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 22:47:28 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?
--
Roger
Old April 4th 19, 07:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

I was going to say that!

In Cellnet's case (oh yes, it long long predates mmO2) they couldn't see
the market for texts so didn't want to pay the cost of including the
necessary software for it - remember Cellnet was part of super-tight BT!
Other SPs took the longer view.

I assume the OP realises that preceding your text with *0# (which is not
displayed to the recipient) generates a delivery report albeit it is
handled by your phone as a new incoming text - and it is free.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 4th 19, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/04/2019 22:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

Once upon a time I phoned customer services demanding that they turn off
incoming SMS messages? Needless to say, they couldn't.

Well, that was a long time ago and I was getting annoyed with twits
texting me then following up later with "did you get my text?".

No plausible deniability :-|

--
Adrian C
Old April 4th 19, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

Although don't Three charge 1p for them ?

--
Mark

Old April 4th 19, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

I was going to say that!

Because neither of these items is standard - they are part of the
configuration/software builds of the platforms in question.

So (AFAICR) CMG SMSCs did the *0# things (they did many other things
that people didn't tend to know too - SMS distribution lists and more),
T-Mobile used to do flash SMS (those that appeared straight on the
screen) if you prefixed messages with !!! and so on.

The voicemail commands are presumably enabling/disabling call forward
not answered etc which are part of the HLRs and may not be placed under
user control as they can't (as in didn't want to pay extra to do) manage
to do billing for all the possible call forwarding that a user can do.

On another branch of this thread someone asked about turning off
incoming SMS - again trivial for an operator to do, but they then can't
send any SIM update messages so there's no way they'd want to do it.

Old April 4th 19, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

Don't they..? I thought they did, I've just tested it on my spare O2
phone, which does have the option checked. I don't use them on Three
PAYG, they've got the nerve to charge 1p a time for them..!

Old April 4th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

Although don't Three charge 1p for them ?

Yes, they do grrr..... Which is why I won't use the option. I rarely use
SMS anyway, I prefer talking to people - you know, what phones used to
be used for before t'interweb took over...

Old April 4th 19, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 03/04/2019 22:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

Once upon a time I phoned customer services demanding that they turn off
incoming SMS messages? Needless to say, they couldn't.

Well, that was a long time ago and I was getting annoyed with twits
texting me then following up later with "did you get my text?".

No plausible deniability :-|

My landline is used for incoming calls only and my phone system routes
all outgoing calls via VoIP the only exceptions are 999,112 111, 101,
17070, and 1471. A family member who will remain nameless insists on
dialling 3 after 1471 to return the call at an extortionate rate.

So, me, trying to be clever, ring my CP and ask if it is possible to
turn off the option to dial "3" after 1471.
Yes certainly, came the reply.
And just for the avoidence of douubt, said I, I wish to retain the
1471 service, and just stop the call being returned.
Yes, that's understood.

Guess what, 1471 --- "Sorry, the service is unavalible from this
line".

It took weeks for them to reinstate it.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old April 5th 19, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Anyway, if O2 can permit voicemail on/off with a code (1750 for on, 1760
for off) why can't Three..?

I don't know about Three, the indoor signal is too weak to be
usable where I live, but why can't O2 do SMS delivery reports
like the other networks?

Don't they..? I thought they did, I've just tested it on my spare O2
phone, which does have the option checked. I don't use them on Three
PAYG, they've got the nerve to charge 1p a time for them..!

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-...%29,CASE=12994

Quote from Important Note:

The ‘delivery report’ function is not supported on our
network. If you’d like to receive delivery reports, you can
enter *0# followed by your text message and then send the
message as you usually would.

Perhaps your "spare O2 phone" has custom firmware which adds the
*0# for you. Try sending a message with *0# as the first three
characters and see if there is a different response compared to
a message without the three magic characters.
--
Roger